Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Is it immature of me to hope we play the Denver Broncos next week.....

Just so I can yell "ELWAY SUCKS" all over again just like I did on September 11,1983 when that spoiled brat Elway showed up in Baltimore for the first home game in Memeorial Stadium that year?

I have never forgiven him, but I will admit he was one of the top 237 QBs to ever play QB in the NFL. Yeah 237 is about right.

Re: Is it immature of me to hope we play the Denver Broncos next week.....

Pretty sure Elway could care less about how people in Baltimore feel about him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Pretty sure Elway could care less about how people in Baltimore feel about him.
    RA let us old timers have some fun with our memories.

Addendum to the above: the Ravens can beat anyone, but of course I still prefer the easiest path for us possible :)

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    RA let us old timers have some fun with our memories.
    Why don't you old-timers drop the silly angst. It's not good for the heart. Besides, we're not talking about the Japanese and Pearl Harbor here.
    Last edited by RavensRule2; 01-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.

In the grand scheme of things, are we not hoping that the Steelers beat the Broncos? Sure, it'd be fun to face the Broncos, but if we're thinking long term, the best path for us is for Pittsburgh to win, for them to go to New England and beat each other up and win, then come here broken and battered. (The second-best path is probably for the Bengals to beat Houston, in which case New England faces a decent defense and explosive offense. If the Bengals win I guess I hope the Broncos do too in that case--no use facing Pittsburgh AND New England, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, are we not hoping that the Steelers beat the Broncos? Sure, it'd be fun to face the Broncos, but if we're thinking long term, the best path for us is for Pittsburgh to win, for them to go to New England and beat each other up and win, then come here broken and battered. (The second-best path is probably for the Bengals to beat Houston, in which case New England faces a decent defense and explosive offense. If the Bengals win I guess I hope the Broncos do too in that case--no use facing Pittsburgh AND New England, right?)
    No! I don't want to face the steelers for a third time. I think we're the better team, but to be upset by them would be a disaster. The Bengals, in all likelyhood, are going to beat the Texans, so a steeler's win over Denver sends them here for a divisional playoff game. With that scenario, we'd have to beat the steelers for a third time and then the Patriots in foxboro.

Knowing what we know about Irsay, why do you blame anyone for not wanting to play for that drunk asshat?

Kudos to him! Not that he gives a damn though.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Knowing what we know about Irsay, why do you blame anyone for not wanting to play for that drunk asshat?

Kudos to him! Not that he gives a damn though.
    :word And IIRC, Elway never said anything bad about Baltimore, just that he would not play for the Colts because of the situation! Joe Thomas had already torn the team apart and the talent level was low. Elway would have been killed behind the line we had in '82 and '83. He knew Irsay would not spring for better linemen and receivers so why play for the drunk! He did what he needed to do so he could have the best career possible. Didn't blame him then, don't blame him now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laxman63 View Post
    And IIRC, Elway never said anything bad about Baltimore, just that he would not play for the Colts because of the situation! Joe Thomas had already torn the team apart and the talent level was low. Elway would have been killed behind the line we had in '82 and '83. He knew Irsay would not spring for better linemen and receivers so why play for the drunk! He did what he needed to do so he could have the best career possible. Didn't blame him then, don't blame him now.
    Worse than that, IIRC--the Colts HC was Frank Kush, whom Elway pere et fils both despised from his days as the Arizona State HC. From Sports Illustrated, January 26, 1987:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Elway, 1984
    I never should have said I wouldn't play in Baltimore. I really regret that. What I meant was the Colts' organization. I'd never even been to Baltimore. I had nothing against the city. I just didn't want to play for the owner. Robert Irsay, or the coach, Frank Kush. Kush was a military type. I wouldn't even take a recruiting trip to Arizona State when he was the coach there.
    IIRC Kush was almost drooling over Elway playing for him in Baltimore, & that pretty much sealed the deal.

I believe that we would still be be rooting for the Baltimore Colts, if Irsay had canned Kush and drafted Elway.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I believe that we would still be be rooting for the Baltimore Colts, if Irsay had canned Kush and drafted Elway.
    Acorsi actually drafted Elway. He was in the minority that thought he could flip Elway's father (everyone knows Jack was calling those shots, not John). But on top of Jack not wanting his son here, Irsay wasn't going to pay him $2 million per season or whatever it was he ended up getting from the Broncos.