OT -- Dan Patrick Leaving ESPN

Since there is NOTHING interesting happening in sports right now, here's a totally off-topic post -- Dan Patrick announced this afternoon that he is leaving ESPN. I can't say that I really care, but I was impressed at the fact that he has worked there for 18 years. I cannot imagine working any place for 18 years.

It's another one of those "Wow, am I getting old" deals, because it doesn't seem that long ago that ESPN was launched, and Patrick has worked there for 18 years? :grbac:

Re: OT -- Dan Patrick Leaving ESPN

I used to love his radio show when he had rob dibble as his sidekick, now the only time I can listen to him is During the "big show" hour with Keith.

It just seemd like he would say the same thing every day on his radio show, the old saying, "same shit different day" applies here.

Collin Cowherd is much better

I must tell you....I am sorry to see him go. I liked his show better with Dibble but I thought it was very funny at times and pretty insightful. I loved his segements with Reggie Miller.....never realized how funny Reggie was....and of course KO and Dan were always good together....I see him surfacing on another competing network. He just can't announce it just yet....

I actually like DP's show a lot, and he'll be missed. I agree, I like The Herd more, because he's more controversial, but I still think that DP was good at his radio gig!
    Waiting for the next one!!!

I liked DP on TV...not radio. I would not be shocked if he has something in the works w/ Keith Olbermann...those 2 have been tight since they hosted SportsCenter back in the 90s.

FM

I liked DP on TV...not radio.
    I pretty much agree with that -- I loved the show when Olberman was on with him, and he has had some very good guests, but when he just delivers a monologue (which he seemed to do every hour, and the same monologue at that), it's boring and redundant. I agree with birdbrain in that his show was much better with Dibble. He needs a sidekick to be effective, and I don't mean Phil the Showkiller.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually turn up on MSNBC, maybe not doing something directly with Olberman, but I'm sure KO could pull some strings, or at least try.

I'm surprised at the couple of positive comments about Collin Cowherd -- I find his show unlistenable.

Believe it or not, the DC Examiner mentioned something a couple days ago about him possibly hosting the Price Is Right. I could picture him busting on folks who couldn't get the big wheel all the way around "You pansy, spin that wheel like a man!"

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
    I must tell you....I am sorry to see him go. I liked his show better with Dibble but I thought it was very funny at times and pretty insightful. I loved his segements with Reggie Miller.....never realized how funny Reggie was....and of course KO and Dan were always good together....I see him surfacing on another competing network. He just can't announce it just yet....
    I have to agree with that. Reggie Miller was downright hysterical on some of his shows. I was listening to Reggie on Dan's show the day he made his announcement and his reaction was pretty darn funy. He thought Patrick was joking. Dan Patrick at times I thought started to take himself too seriously though- except when ont he air with Olberman- who while I disagree with often on his own show, I love on Dan's show. I can't really sat I'llmiss him too much. There are entirely too many voices out there to really even notice when one leaves, albeit a well-spoken, and oft-noted one.

I wish him luck though, as it's a pretty bold move he's making.

Funny, I always liked The Herd as well. Now I am forced to listen to that local fat slob drivel, instead of a sports show. Too bad I can't get the other ESPN Radio stations in the company car.
    SS

Funny, I always liked The Herd as well. Now I am forced to listen to that local fat slob drivel, instead of a sports show. Too bad I can't get the other ESPN Radio stations in the company car.
    Sirius satellite radio is your friend, you can get espn, traffic & weather reports commercial free music and NFL Radio

i'm baffled that Cowherd continues to have a radio show. i also find his show "unlistenable." the only thing worse than Cowherd is Jim "8 seconds of dead air between every sentence" Rome. I was a huge fan of Patrick w/ Dibble, TK w/ Andy Polley and The Sports Brothers with Erik AND Chris Kuselius. but most of my radio time is spent with Ron and Fez (XM202 - 12-3pm) these days - or with Chuck Wilson from 6-7pm on XM175, MLB Homeplate.
    O's, Stroh's and Nappy Ho's