Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Manning "stunned" at Polian's dismissal

This might become a big story. Manning certainly doesn't sound too happy about it:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...unned-decision

Polian was the GM who drafted Manning. Is this a move by Irsay to prepare the ground to get rid of Manning? If so, this is a horrible move. If Luck is a bust, I will be the first to say that the Colts will not be in Indianapolis within 10 years. Another Irsay, the same story.

Re: Manning "stunned" at Polian's dismissal

He is stunned because he can see they are blowing it up, and he probably isn't going to be part of it after they draft Luck.

I think the writing has been on the wall for some time. Peyton Manning will not be a Colt next season....book it.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Manning's uncertain health status and probability of a full recovery, combined with Indy's Golden Draft Ticket and the outstanding play of a slew of rookie QBs lately certainly doesn't bode well for Eli's big brother remaining in the land of Hicks & Incest.

When I read a bunch of people on this board saying Peyton could be a Jet next year I didn't think it was possible.

Seems kind of likely now.

Blog Entries

I think it's a big roll of the dice. You are jettisoning Polian and Manning at one swipe, the two reasons why Indianapolis was relevant for the last 10 years. It was one of the worst franchises before them, and I see nothing that tells me it won't go back to being what it always was before the two (see this year). I think Manning has three more of years in him. They could make this a smooth transition and passing of the torch. Luck is an unproven commodity in the NFL. There are no guarantees, despite what the histrionics of the jour in the media may be.

With all that said, I cannot care less what happens to the Indianapolis Colts. I just foresee more heartbreak caused by an Irsay in a few years when the Mayflower trucks come, which is sad.
    Last edited by Uli2001; 01-03-2012 at 02:41 AM.

I'm pretty sure this is a signal that the Manning era is pretty much done. Seems like everyone who really contributed to that run is either gone or probably on the way out the door:

Polian - gone
    Harrison - gone
    Wayne - free agent, likely gone
    Mathis - also a free agent, correct?
    Sanders - gone
    Edge - been gone
    Brackett - injured. wonder if he'll be gone
    Freeney - getting older
    Clark - wasn't he injured?
    Manning - certainly was injured and might now be gone

When Manning got there, they pretty much had nothing and I guess the Luck era will start the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    With all that said, I cannot care less what happens to the Indianapolis Colts. I just foresee more heartbreak caused by an Irsay in a few years when the Mayflower trucks come, which is sad.
    I hope so.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Yes, maybe it was about Manning and Polian's loyalty got him fired.....either way, there are going to be some players over there to look at in the offseason.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Polian had checked out already. He was already in semi-retirement and somehow got son to do most of the GM job instead. Newsflash Bill, your son isn't that good at it. As much as I love Ozzie no way would I want him to be able to do that type of thing and I doubt Ozzie would ever even consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Polian had checked out already. He was already in semi-retirement and somehow got son to do most of the GM job instead. Newsflash Bill, your son isn't that good at it. As much as I love Ozzie no way would I want him to be able to do that type of thing and I doubt Ozzie would ever even consider it.
    The level of nepotism in the NFL is incredible. In a league that's so competitive you'd think there'd be more pressure on guys to make the best hire and not do crap like this. Hilarious that it happened to the Colts though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    The level of nepotism in the NFL is incredible. In a league that's so competitive you'd think there'd be more pressure on guys to make the best hire and not do crap like this. Hilarious that it happened to the Colts though!
    I just can't believe that owners go for it. You're seeing something similar in Washington. Shanahan thinks he's setting this up so his son can take over. What has his son ever done to be a head coach? The Texans have been a lot better without him and the Redskins offense is disfunctional. As an owner I wouldn't allow it.

Blog Entries

If Manning is healthy, Irsay will likely pay him the money this spring; but the payment is due before the draft and they may not know by then. If it's unclear whether he is going to be able to play, I can't see them shelling out another 28 or so million without some kind of clause. Wouldn't be a good business decision regardless of the team.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!