Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: "Blank Monday" - Who gets fired ... (Merged)

The Polians out in Indy is definately a stunner. Lombardi and La Canfora were on NFL network together and speculated that Irsay didn't like their plan for 2012 (i.e Manning situation, #1 pick). They also speculated that he wanted a change in defensive philosophy. The polians for years drafted for speed and quickness on defense. Sounds like he wanted to get a little more physical.
    We knew Indy would take a step back this year without Manning. I thought 7-9 and 8-8 was realistic and to go 2-14 just shows what kind of team and depth Indy has. It might be fair to say that Manning has been hiding their flaws on offense/defense for years?

Blog Entries

Re: Colts fire both Polian's

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Caldwell could be next.
    Entire staff fired. wow, who saw this coming?

Edit: Just listened to Irsay and he is leaving the Caldwell decision to the new GM but didn't give much of a vote of confidence.
    Last edited by Ravenswintitle; 01-02-2012 at 06:06 PM.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think Irsay is overreacting, of course he team sucks without Manning. Big secret! Sure the Patriots went 11-5 without Brady for a year, but at that time there was more than Brady to the team.

Not sure I'd be happy as a Colt fan with the direction they are going. Unless they land Parcells, I see dark days for Indy ahead.

Irsay is a freaking idiot. Bill Polian built that team. They had a lot of talent bedsides Manning; Caldwell is a weak coach and couldn't keep the team together without him. Should they have had a better backup QB? Absolutely. But that's not a fireable offense, IMO. Dungy gone, Polian gone, and Manning soon to follow. Unless he hires a good exec, they're on their way back to being doormats, IMO. If they were smart, they'd trade Manning and some other older vets (Freeney, etc) for as many picks as they can get, take whatever cap hit they're going to take next year, draft Luck, and start over. Polian would've done a nice job of rebuilding, but now...who knows.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

by the way it's Black monday, not blank ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    by the way it's Black monday, not blank ;)
    Fixed. Good catch ..

Blog Entries

Re: "Black Monday" - Who gets fired ... (Merged)

You can take it for what you like. Polian built that entire team around Peyton Manning. The only WR they had during Manning's tenure with legit deep threat speed was Harrison. Otherwise, all of their WRs had reliable hands and ran great timing routes. Their RBs took care of the football. Their offensive line was quick, to keep speed rushers off of Manning. The defense was built to hold teams to field goals, while Manning put up TDs, leading teams to try and throw with Manning. That would lead to Freeney and Mathis causing problems, hurried throws and turnovers.

Now that the guy who drafted Manning and built a team around him is gone, it could be a sign that Manning is gone as well. We know how the Irsays work. It would not be beneath them to unceremoniously get rid of Manning.

The only surprise, upon reflection, is that Polian was let go before Caldwell.

Is Caldwell officially gone yet?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Caldwell is gone.

A new GM is going to want his guy in there, it isn't even a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I think Irsay is overreacting, of course he team sucks without Manning. Big secret! Sure the Patriots went 11-5 without Brady for a year, but at that time there was more than Brady to the team.
    And I think that's exactly why the Polians are gone.

Certainly you lose your starting QB (particularly one like Manning) your team is going to be different, but not to the nature that team did for the majority of the year.

There never seemed to be enough talent else where on the team to pick up some of the slack.
    It's like they put all their eggs in one baskewt and humpty dumpty fell and broke.

That's why I think the Polians are gone.

Some of this belongs on the coaching staff as well.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

The Polian firings is bizarre. The Colts have a huge decision to make with Manning and the big bonus due and with what they will do with Luck (trade for mega picks or keep the pick).

So you fire the two big heads in your front office?

Unreal.

11. Re: "Black Monday" - Who gets fired ... (Merged)

I don't get the Polian defenders here. That team was dismal talent-wise, and the front office was a disaster five years in a row. I guess we have no way of knowing how many more wins they might've had with Manning over Painter/Orlovsky (obviously some) but many were speculating that this was going to be the year the Colts' brilliant reign over their division headed south anyway, thanks to so many lean years at bringing in new talent.

Blog Entries

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    How many coaches will be fired today and who is in line to get the next chance?

Jax, Miami and KC already fired their coach mid season. Rams fired Spags this morning: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...fired-by-rams/

Tampa is likely next, how about Indy?

As an up a coming coordinator, Jay Gruden did a great job this year with Dalton and he has head coach experience in arena league. He'd be a good fit for Tampa.
    Please don't take our Gruden. He is still running on break-in oil. We flat out love the guy.