Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Bengals at Texans

A LOT rides on the outcome of this game. Steelers will beat Denver in all likelihood, let's face it. so 1) if Bengals win, they go to Foxboro, and Steelers come to Baltimore. 2) if Houston wins, then they come in to Baltimore, and Steelers go to Foxboro.

Option 1) essentially gives the Patriots an extra bye week and the banged-up survivor of a nasty Steelers-Ravens #3 has to go to Foxboro for the AFCC. Option 2) gives the Ravens a much nicer opponent, and the Steelers just might have what it takes to take down Brady and co. If the Patriots fall behind big as they have the last couple of weeks, there's no way they are coming back against the Steeler D. In that case, the Ravens would get the AFCC at home.

Option 2) is much, much better for the Ravens than option 1). Therefore it's time to pull hard for the Texans. I live 90 miles from downtown Houston and will be rooting for them for the first time this Saturday. I think they are the superior team anyway.

Re: Bengals at Texans

I wouldn't just pencil in the Steelers over Denver just yet. Neither of those teams is playing well at all right now. That could go either way.

I like, no love, our chances against any of the teams we might face in the divisional round. None of those teams has a prayer at M&T.

I think the Texans have a good shot. I really do. They already beat Cincy once at Cincy with Yates, though Cincy choked it away as much or more than Houston won it. This is their first playoff game in the franchise, and their defense is really their strength.

I am not sure who I would rather start for them though, Delhomme or Yates. Delhomme has a wider range of possible results, from quality to abysmal. Yates is probably more like a steady 'average.'

4. Re: Bengals at Texans

I don't see why people think PIT is obviously a tougher opponent for NE than CIN. Cincinnati is healthier, has a good pass defense, they are slightly better than PIT at scoring, and are a very scrappy road team (in part because their home field advantage sucks) -- they won at Tennessee, Jacksonvillle, and Seattle, which a certain team we know was unable to do.

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoriteboxer View Post
    I don't see why people think PIT is obviously a tougher opponent for NE than CIN. Cincinnati is healthier, has a good pass defense, they are slightly better than PIT at scoring, and are a very scrappy road team (in part because their home field advantage sucks) -- they won at Tennessee, Jacksonvillle, and Seattle, which a certain team we know was unable to do.
    Because Pitt hammered Cincy and already beat NE. Plus Cincy hasn't won a playoff game in almost 2 decades. That said, if they come out and look good vs Houston I will lower my doubts about their prospects at NE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I wouldn't just pencil in the Steelers over Denver just yet. Neither of those teams is playing well at all right now. That could go either way.
    Unfortunately, the Broncos are a young team with very little or no playoff experience, and they picked a bad time to play bad football. I think they will not be a match for the Steelers.

I like, no love, our chances against any of the teams we might face in the divisional round. None of those teams has a prayer at M&T.
    Agreed. But wouldn't you rather have an easier, less "emotional" win and then on top of it have a decent chance of hosting the AFCC? Or do you think the Bengals can beat the Patriots at Foxboro?

Blog Entries

I don't think Cinci is going to beat Houston. The Texans have really impressed me this year with the way they've played despite some killer injuries. Not many teams could lose their starting AND back-up QB and their best defensive player for the season, and lose a playmaker like Andre Johnson for a good chunk of the year and win like they have.

They have a solid team this year. Very impressive.

So I see it as Pitt going from Denver to NE to Baltimore, where we'll end their season en route to the Super Bowl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Because Pitt hammered Cincy and already beat NE. Plus Cincy hasn't won a playoff game in almost 2 decades. That said, if they come out and look good vs Houston I will lower my doubts about their prospects at NE.
    Thanks, that sums it up quite well. The Bengals are a young team with no playoff experience (see Denver in previous post) and they are much easier pickings for the Patriots than the Steelers would be.

Denver will be tough, ben can't move around. No Mendenhall, Woodley or Clark. Steelers barely winning games on the road. Tougher than it looks. Low scoring game. Cincy/houston slight edge Houston. Who knows crazy year.

I can't see the Steelers making it to the AFCC Game with a hobbled Roethlisberger and no Mendenhall

You make a good case, Uli. I am now officially a Texans fan for one week.

Just don't tell my six-year old son who likes the Bengals because tigers are his favorite animal.

Son: "Dad, are you rooting for the Bengals?"
    Me: "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth."

I think having the AFCCG in Baltimore would be a huge advantage. By definition it would also mean the opponent cannot be the Patriots who are the only team that I think has a serious chance to beat us (especially if we're on the road).

So (if and only if the Texans win) I'll have to root for the Steelers to beat the Broncos because the Broncos have zero, zip, nada, bupkus chance to beat the Patriots in Foxboro. Fortunately the Bengals-Texans game is played first (Saturday) so I'll know which set of voodoo dolls to prepare for Sunday.

^^^This^^^

We are relatively healthy and with a bye week should have everyone at or near 100%. Houston, Denver here? Blowouts.. Steelers here? Their D will keep things interesting but with no running game and Ben not running all over the field making plays we win that game too..