Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Raymond Berry to deliver Superbowl Trophy in Indy.

I don't get how you could be mad at Berry. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Not only that, but he has a chance to hand the trophy to either baltimore (where he won 2 titles) or the Pats (who he took to the SB as a head coach). To act like he is dissing the city of baltimore or its history is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I don't get how you could be mad at Berry. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Not only that, but he has a chance to hand the trophy to either baltimore (where he won 2 titles) or the Pats (who he took to the SB as a head coach). To act like he is dissing the city of baltimore or its history is ridiculous.
    He was interviewed this morning on 105.7 and he is honored....

I still think it would be poetic justice to get the Lombardi in INDY by a former BALTIMORE COLT...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Huge BALTIMORE Colts fan here. Many posters have heard me blather on about the subject of my old team, the Indy franchise, that cochon Irsay the Elder, etc., so forgive me for opening my yap.

My first reaction is, what's going on with this? But if you stop to think a bit, it sorta makes sense, and I can't get too angry at Berry. Consider:

> First, SOMEONE has to present the trophy to the SB winner. Check out this link, which gives a little framework info on what's going on.

> Next, consider that Berry never played in a Super Bowl - granted, he won NFL championships, and arguably was part of an era that "made" the NFL. He's a very good representative of the game to be named to this honor.

> Many of the BALTIMORE Colts were very clear in their disdain for anything Irsay after he left town (actually, BEFORE he left town) with his business franchise. What bothered (and, I admit, still bothers to a degree) many of us is what I call the "loss of innocence" that we felt when a part of our community was disgustingly ripped away and lost for years and years. Irsay as a businessman may or may not have made a wise decision - I really can't say for certain. As a human being/citizen of Maryland/member of the community, he was a piece of shit -- and that may be giving shit a bad name. Those who desire to cut ties with him and his franchise have my full support. However, if Berry chooses to retain a semblance of allegiance and participate, I don't condemn him - he was not the one who did Baltimore wrong.

> Read the linked article I posted -- IMHO, this has more to do with the NFL's meddling than the Indy franchise trying to rub anyone's nose in anything.

> Finally, from the link -
    "When asked to present the Lombardi Trophy, Berry said he was “totally blown away. Man alive, what a tremendous honor. I just hope I can lift the durn thing.”"

Again, I can't fault Berry. He sees this as a great honor, and far be it from me to piss on his parade, BALTIMORE Colts fan or no.

Of course, this is just one guy's opinion...
    AWESOME!!! LOLOL I just spit soda all over my keyboard!

Berry has been a long time traitor standing on the sidelines of INDY games periodically over the years.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that he would keep that going and present the trophy in his adopted home on Indiana.

I mean we all know how much joy those Indy fans will feel when a guy who has no relation or connection to the city represents them on Super Bowl Sunday.

AFC South blogger has chimed in...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...present-trophy

by Paul Kuharsky

Point 1) I fell in love with Raymond Berry when I read this excerpt from Mark Bowden’s book on The Greatest Game Ever Played. It’s the root of one of my football tenets: Do not slip.

Point 2) I argue constantly that a team and the league, not the fans and the press, get to decide if a team that’s relocated retains its past. The only team that’s ever left its history behind is the Cleveland Browns.

What do the two have to do with each other?

The NFL announced it will honor Berry as part of the Super Bowl in Indianapolis. He will carry the Lombardi Trophy to the presentation. The connection, of course, is that Berry played for the Colts.

The Baltimore Colts.

I understand the “link,” but as part of a celebration of the host city, there is a complete disconnect. I’d never say Berry isn’t due an honor, but this isn’t the time.

Kudos to Scott McCauley, whose tweet on the topic spurred this post.

"Eric Dickerson should present the #SuperBowl trophy not Raymond Berry. Would Jim Brown present if game was in Baltimore?"

I don’t know about Dickerson. He’s a Ram to a lot of people.

The league is surely reluctant to use a current player.

But the perfect choice would be Jeff Saturday. He won a Super Bowl with the Colts, and he was an instrumental guy as a member of the NFLPA’s executive committee who was a giant influence on getting the CBA in place and saving the season.

Without him, maybe there wouldn't even be a presentation.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Dear Paul Kuharsky--
    "The NFL announced it will honor Berry as part of the Super Bowl in Indianapolis. He will carry the Lombardi Trophy to the presentation. The connection, of course, is that Berry played for the Colts."

Child...PLEASE!

The connection, of course, is that the NFL figures it will net more $$$ this way....

Get real!

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Finally, a guy from outside Baltimore who understands what we've been saying for years.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Unitas and Moore would never have done it and that's all that matters to me. Raymond Berry can do it and doesn't bother me as much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Hyperbole much?
    No he doesn't.

Irsay is obviously still living in the past.

Just hope this will hit them in the face when Ray is there to take the lombardi back where it belongs.

As i've said in other threads, i'm really trying to let "the hate" go, but for a lot of folks, stuff like this is guaranteed to touch a nerve.

Mr. Berry has attended Indy functions before. I wish he (like most if not all the other Baltimore Colts players) had turned the Irsays down, but i don't blame the guy. I just hope he makes good cake for it. The guy has always been a class act. Along with most of the male population of Baltimore I grew up wanting to "be" him whenever we played sandlot FB.

Not only is he a HOFer but he also coached a cinderalla Pats team to a SB XX appearance, losing to the Bears. To get there, Berry's team became the 1st squad in NFL history to win 3 playoff games on the road. I don't agree with it but i can see why the NFL might push it.

I also hope the anouncers make it clear where he played, and i think they will. In an ironic kind of way it actually reminds people about that part of Baltimore's football history.

If the Baltimore Ravens rise to the occassion and make it to the Big Dance, the good karma for us should reach epic proportions.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Is it possible that Berry has fallen on hard times financially and needs the money?