Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Only three meaningless games in Week 17

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ss-in-week-17/

Not too bad compared to most years. The three duds are Skins/Eagles, Bears/Vikings, and Seahawks/Cardinals. Every other game on Sunday has something on the line, and the majority of the games also affect other teams playing in other contests.

AFC East:

Bills at Patriots: New England gets #1 seed with a win. A loss and a win by Pittsburgh or Baltimore pushes them to #2.

Jets at Dolphins: Jets need a win to stay alive for the #6 seed.

AFC North:

Ravens at Bengals: Ravens clinch #2 seed with a win, #1 with a win and Pats loss. A loss could drop them to #5 with a Steelers win. Bengals clinch #6 seed with a win, potentially eliminated from playoffs with a loss.

Steelers at Browns: Steelers can clinch #2 with a win and a Ravens loss, #1 with a win and losses by Balt and New England.

AFC South:

Titans at Texans: Titans need a win to stay alive for #6 seed.

Jaguars at Colts: No playoff implications, but Colts can clinch the #1 pick in the draft with a loss. A Colts win plus a Rams loss gives St. Louis the top pick.

AFC West:

Chiefs at Broncos: Denver clinches AFC West with a win.

Chargers at Raiders: Raiders clinch AFC West with a win and a Denver loss. Raiders also have an outside shot at #6 seed with a win and some help.

NFC East:

Cowboys at Giants: Winner clinches NFC East. Loser stays home.

NFC North:

Lions at Packers: A Lions win clinches the #5 seed, which helps Detroit avoid a first round trip to New Orleans or San Fran (most would agree going to Dallas or New York is a better option)

NFC South:

Panthers at Saints: New Orleans can clinch #2 seed with a win and a 49ers loss.

Falcons at Buccaneers: Atlanta can clinch #5 seed with a win and a Detroit loss, trying to avoid a first round game in New Orleans.

NFC West:

49ers at Rams: San Fran clinches #2 seed with a win. Rams clinch top draft pick with a loss and a Colts win.

And that's it. Despite 9 out of 12 playoff spots already being clinched, I can't remember heading into a Week 17 where it felt like so much could change at a moment's notice, and that everyone has something to play for. I guess it's because usually the top seeds are settled by now, whereas this year homefield and the bye weeks can drastically change hands depending on what happens in a couple games.

I also think putting all divisional games this week is a big reason why everything feels more dramatic. Not a big fan of Goodell, but kudos to the commissioner for getting at least one thing right. This was a great idea.

Won't be too long now until we're all sitting around counting down the days until the draft, or training camp. So no matter what happens on Sunday, I'm going to savor all 9 hours of football, and enjoy every game.
    Last edited by SteelFaninBMore; 12-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.

2. Even Cards/Seahawks has the storyline "Which of these two bad teams will somehow finish 8-8?" If Seattle finishes 8-8, remember that will be one game *better* than last year's division-winning team.

Blog Entries

Re: Only three meaningless games in Week 17

Division opponents the last 2 weeks of the year was a fantastic idea. Have to give the NFL big props for that idea.

Blog Entries

My only complaint was Steelers so early in the season. Great schedule, the Monday night games sucked hard though.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    My only complaint was Steelers so early in the season. Great schedule, the Monday night games sucked hard though.
    Of course most of us were convinced that the week 1 Steelers matchup was going to screw us. Glad I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ss-in-week-17/

[Jaguars at Colts: No playoff implications, but Colts can clinch the #1 seed with a loss.
    I had to read this one twice, but I'm sure you meant "Colts clinch #1 draft pick with a loss".

Reports out of Pats-land have it that Brady is not practicing. Just an update.

is he not practing again today? no way he misses that game i dont think, they DO NOT want to travel to baltimore or Pitts in the play offs if they lost that game.

Like some one said my only criticism is the steelers being over early, would love to have been playing one of the games this week or last, where its kind of winner takes all, would just add to it a bit more. and i would say the loser would be beat in first game of play offs after such a traumatic loss at the hands of a rival in week 17.

Also for myself, i wish the ravens played at 1oclock more often than not living in the uk, i detest mon/sun night games and weve had 4 i think this year.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I had to read this one twice, but I'm sure you meant "Colts clinch #1 draft pick with a loss".
    Whoops. Thanks, fixed it now.

As for Brady, I saw a report that it was not injury related. Either way, I have no doubt he'll be playing on Sunday.

interesting observation Steelfan

I never realized how important so many of these games are this week
    thanks

Blog Entries
    I will be on my couch in the man cave all day and night. Love it!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think that the Dallas/New York game will live up to expectation. Jobs could be on the line. The Giants risk missing the playoffs for the third straight season and it seems like fans across the nation are trying to guess how the Cowboys will lose this game. This is serious. Win or go home.

The New York Jets are facing a potential 8-8 and absence from the playoffs, as they travel to the Dolphins, who have nothing to lose. We could see both one or two New York teams sent home during the same week. Then again, we could see both in the playoffs.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore