Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMoon View Post
    Ray was having a Pro Bowl season before he got hurt and looks washed up since coming back. I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence.
    Funny how we heard nothing about taking Ray off the field. How he was done. Washed up. Hurting our pass rush(now THAT is a new one alright!) after week 8. When we were winning and playing better.

Just a coincidence I am sure.

i heard if on other forums prior to his injury, but more so now, but i think its clear hes still carry the injury

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    None of this is my own work. Its from a member on another site.

seems to be the popular notion that Ray Lewis is picked on by opposing QBs when in coverage and has been the biggest "liability" when he is out there.

I wanted to test this theory and here is what I came up with:

Basic Coverage Stats
    Ayanbadejo- 15/23, 65.2%, 98 Yards, 77 YAC, 0 TD, 0 int, 1 pd, 74.2 QB Rating (180 pass coverage snaps)

Ellerbe- 8/10, 80%, 86 yards, 55 YAC, 0 td, 0 int, 0 pd, 102.5 QB Rating (92 pass coverage snaps)

McClain- 25/35, 71.4%, 318 Yards, 166 YAC, 1 td, 1 int, 5 pd, 97.1 QB Rating (296 Pass coverage snaps)

Lewis-19/27. 70.4%, 229 Yards, 119 YAC, 0 Tds, 1 int, 6 pd, 80.6 QB Ratings (333 Pass Coverage snaps)

Completions per coverage snap
    Ayanbadejo- 180 coverage snaps/15 completions = 1 reception every 12 coverage snap

Ellerbe- 92 snaps/8 receptions = 1 reception every 11.5 coverage snap

McClain- 296 snaps/25 receptions = 1 reception every 11.84 coverage snap

Lewis-333 snaps/19 receptions = 1 Reception every 17.52 coverage snaps

Times targeted per coverage snap
    Ayanbadejo- 180 snaps/23 targets = 1 target every 7.82 coverage snaps

Ellerbe- 92 snaps/10 targers = 1 target every 9.2 coverage snaps

McClain- 296 snaps/35 targets= 1 target every 8.46 coverage snaps

Lewis- 333 snaps/27 Targets = 1 Target every 12.3 coverage snaps

So Lewis gets targeted the least per coverage snap by opposing QBs and gives up the fewest receptions per coverage snap yet he is the "biggest" liability on the field?

Notes
    *Ellerbe does have a small sample size
    *Ayanbadejo has not been asked to cover a WR
    *Lewis has given up 2 receptions to WR that skew his numbers (Ward-31 yards/16 Yac in week 1, Cribbs-23 yards/9 YAC in week 16

I like the work Ayanbadejo is doing and would continue to use him in his current role BUT Lewis hardly being "picked on". I also would continue to rush Lewis since he has graded out positively for ILB pass rushing wise w/ 10 QB Disruptions in 71 pass rush opportunities. The average for his position is a tick under 1 disruption every 8 pass rushes.
    Whoooooaaa don't let the FACTS get in the way of chapter 18 of the Ray Lewis witch hunt!!

I don't play fantasy but around week 10 I heard that the Ravens were number 1 against the TE. You know one of the guys who Ray Lewis is sometimes on in coverage.

Keep em coming arnie!!! Post more!

i think that should be enough... hes by far the best ILB at coverage in our team. So drop him? who for? Maybe you could argue BA, but if you make a habit of swapping him in and leaving out Ray teams will notice this and run right up the gut where BA is too small abd we could get gashed on a run..

As stated in earlier stats he is also better than most other "elite" ILBs in the league on coverage, and his stats have took a dramatic hit since his toe injury, prior to that he was pretty much the best in the league. So to me, it shows he is still carrying his injury and you could say, maybe take him out on some plays to let him rest, but not because of preformance

iggyman555 Guest

Thumbs up Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    None of this is my own work. Its from a member on another site.

seems to be the popular notion that Ray Lewis is picked on by opposing QBs when in coverage and has been the biggest "liability" when he is out there.

I wanted to test this theory and here is what I came up with:

Basic Coverage Stats
    Ayanbadejo- 15/23, 65.2%, 98 Yards, 77 YAC, 0 TD, 0 int, 1 pd, 74.2 QB Rating (180 pass coverage snaps)

Ellerbe- 8/10, 80%, 86 yards, 55 YAC, 0 td, 0 int, 0 pd, 102.5 QB Rating (92 pass coverage snaps)

McClain- 25/35, 71.4%, 318 Yards, 166 YAC, 1 td, 1 int, 5 pd, 97.1 QB Rating (296 Pass coverage snaps)

Lewis-19/27. 70.4%, 229 Yards, 119 YAC, 0 Tds, 1 int, 6 pd, 80.6 QB Ratings (333 Pass Coverage snaps)

Completions per coverage snap
    Ayanbadejo- 180 coverage snaps/15 completions = 1 reception every 12 coverage snap

Ellerbe- 92 snaps/8 receptions = 1 reception every 11.5 coverage snap

McClain- 296 snaps/25 receptions = 1 reception every 11.84 coverage snap

Lewis-333 snaps/19 receptions = 1 Reception every 17.52 coverage snaps

Times targeted per coverage snap
    Ayanbadejo- 180 snaps/23 targets = 1 target every 7.82 coverage snaps

Ellerbe- 92 snaps/10 targers = 1 target every 9.2 coverage snaps

McClain- 296 snaps/35 targets= 1 target every 8.46 coverage snaps

Lewis- 333 snaps/27 Targets = 1 Target every 12.3 coverage snaps

So Lewis gets targeted the least per coverage snap by opposing QBs and gives up the fewest receptions per coverage snap yet he is the "biggest" liability on the field?

Notes
    *Ellerbe does have a small sample size
    *Ayanbadejo has not been asked to cover a WR
    *Lewis has given up 2 receptions to WR that skew his numbers (Ward-31 yards/16 Yac in week 1, Cribbs-23 yards/9 YAC in week 16

I like the work Ayanbadejo is doing and would continue to use him in his current role BUT Lewis hardly being "picked on". I also would continue to rush Lewis since he has graded out positively for ILB pass rushing wise w/ 10 QB Disruptions in 71 pass rush opportunities. The average for his position is a tick under 1 disruption every 8 pass rushes.

goood stuffff!

Blog Entries

I do not believe this defense is better without Ray, we played some pretty shitty teams in rays absence or we played teams that ran a lot like san fran which played directly to our strengths. Ray may have slowed down but on 3rd downs when tom brady has the ball in his hands I would much rather have him in there instead of ellerbe or mcclain.

7. Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

If they bench ray lewis they should have did it 3yrs ago when he got slower and couldnt cover anybody downfield. Ray lewis is grandfather in so let him play it out. Yes he is slow but he makes up for it in play regnition and he knows the defense so well. He shoots gaps all the time to make plays. I think we are better with him on the field. Live by the sword die by the sword

Blog Entries

I think that no one can argue that while Ray was out the entire defense looked a lot quicker and a lot faster. Guys were flying to the ball and you cannot doubt McClain and Ellerbe's quickness and speed. However, none of that means better.

The problem is there is no way to make up for Ray's experience, knowledge, and anticipation.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Ray has only been back 2 games since his injury. Ray will be fine.

At some point Ray will need to come out. I think that time is now, but I know many Ravens fans have a viscerally negative reaction to such a concept. For some folks, Ray Lewis will have to retire or take himself off the field before they move on.

Blog Entries

Ray can come out when he retires.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

they should have rested Ray these last 2 games before the playoffs. it definately looks like he is still hurting.