Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Sacrilege. The idea is absolute.......sacrilege.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

2. Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Respectfully, can you provide a link or some back up to this?

It's a big claim, one that some background would provide everyone with the proper perspective.
    All I can provide is a comment I'm sure everyone heard Harbaugh make about Ray pretty much deciding what Ray wants to do. I probably worded what I said wrong. It is more of a presumption that if the Ravens took Ray off the field on third down he would most likely throw a fit.

Anyone can feel free to disagree with what they think his reaction would be. People's thoughts on scaling down his workload at this point, not next season or never is what I wanted the thread to be about.

It doesn't look like he scares anybody anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    Someone will definitely chime in citing stats that Ray isn't as ineffective as I'm making him out to be, but I was cussing him out more than anyone on the defense on Sunday.

Sometimes your eyes work well enough to see what is in front of your face I think.
    Um...I guess I'm they guy: see my post above.

Nice pre-emptive strike though. You think your eyes matter more than what the numbers tell you - it's your right to feel that way. I disagree.

4. Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    You say Ray is an "enormous liability in pass coverage", and that the team's defense was demonstrably more effective without him as if those were proven facts. They're not:

Ravens passing defense, 11 games with Ray:
    196 yds/game, 7 TDs (.64/game)

Ravens passing defense, 4 games w/out Ray:
    188 yds/game, 3 TDs (.75/game)

Add to that the fact that all 4 of the teams we faced without Ray are some of the worst passing offenses in the league:
    20th Cincy
    23rd Cleveland
    27th San Fran
    29th Indy

You can make a case that the team's defense played overall a bit better without Ray, but not really against the pass.
    The pass rush has suffered since Ray's return and that needs to be how we win. I don't think it is any coincidence the sacks are going down again now that Ray is back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I've seen Tony Romo come to the line with a play set up, only to watch Ray call the play out. Then, after Romo audibles, knowing that Ray knew the original play, Ray calls the audible out, leaving Romo with the look of nervousness on his face, because he can't fool the defense.

I've seen Ray alert Suggs that the play is coming his way, only for Suggs to lose contain and let the RB get around him, even after Ray told him the play was coming that way.

Ellerbe and McClain are not doing that against Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady. T.J. Yates is another story.
    that was 4 seasons ago!!! we have seen how much more effective JJ has been this year with a lighter workload. it is time to do the same with Ray, but the coaching staff won't do it this year. they will ask him to be a 2 down backer next year after they ask him to restructure his contract. IMHO

Blog Entries

The man hit somebody in practice so hard, that is caused a five point earthquake, and we don't want him on the field every play?!!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

when it came up last year, Ray said that he would be open to taking a reduced role when the time came. he didn't indicate who would decide when the time was right, but i think we can assume that he was talking about himself knowing when the time had come.

8. Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    that was 4 seasons ago!!! we have seen how much more effective JJ has been this year with a lighter workload. it is time to do the same with Ray, but the coaching staff won't do it this year. they will ask him to be a 2 down backer next year after they ask him to restructure his contract. IMHO
    He keeps talking about what Ray Lewis has done in the past..

Right now, he is hurt, and Old..... Saddens me to say it but he's basically a 2 down back.

Anyone who wants to argue to the contrary, i would understand, i almost want to say fuck it play him on offense too, but i mean reality is a bitch.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    when it came up last year, Ray said that he would be open to taking a reduced role when the time came. he didn't indicate who would decide when the time was right, but i think we can assume that he was talking about himself knowing when the time had come.
    And since he answers all questions about how he feels physically with "I feel the best I ever have," lol, I don't see him pulling himself out.

Obviously he has lost a couple steps, but his prime was a step faster than great. So that leaves him a step worse than great, which is good. We could get faster guys in there on passing downs, but you are sacrificing experience to gain in speed. It might lead to a few extra PDs (and maybe punts) then one entirely blown coverage for a TD. It may not, it is hard to say. I do think we could maybe scheme things a bit differently under the assumption Ray cannot cover athletic TEs or RBs by himself, but then again you may face the same Ray-veto of that decision.

I suspect, as the OP has pondered, that it will have to be glaringly obvious that Ray should come off the field on 3rd down for him to agree or decide to do it. I don't think the drop off is glaring enough yet, but I do notice it on some plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    All I can provide is a comment I'm sure everyone heard Harbaugh make about Ray pretty much deciding what Ray wants to do. I probably worded what I said wrong. It is more of a presumption that if the Ravens took Ray off the field on third down he would most likely throw a fit.

Anyone can feel free to disagree with what they think his reaction would be. People's thoughts on scaling down his workload at this point, not next season or never is what I wanted the thread to be about.

It doesn't look like he scares anybody anymore.
    Thanks for clearing that up because I had not ever heard ray say anything about being asked to come out on 3rd downs. Not that I don't think it a good idea. He has lost a step or two, especially dropping back in coverage. His numbers are still very respectable though in almost all categories.

I'm sorry but I stick with the fact that a future Hall of Famer and arguably still a top 5 MLB should always be on the field.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just think we were so used to seeing maybe the greatest MLB ever play that now that he is older and not playing the position at a level higher than everyone else and just playing the position the way most do we are looking at it as a flaw when in reality this is what good LB play looks like instead of maybe the greatest play ever?
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

Ray wanted to come back 2 games earlier than he did and the coaches said no. This coaching staff is not scared of him. If they feel they have a better option than Ray Lewis on 3rd down or any other down they would play him.