Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 76
  1. #25

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk



    Sacrilege. The idea is absolute.......sacrilege.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  2. #26

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Respectfully, can you provide a link or some back up to this?

    It's a big claim, one that some background would provide everyone with the proper perspective.
    All I can provide is a comment I'm sure everyone heard Harbaugh make about Ray pretty much deciding what Ray wants to do. I probably worded what I said wrong. It is more of a presumption that if the Ravens took Ray off the field on third down he would most likely throw a fit.

    Anyone can feel free to disagree with what they think his reaction would be. People's thoughts on scaling down his workload at this point, not next season or never is what I wanted the thread to be about.

    It doesn't look like he scares anybody anymore.




  3. #27

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    Someone will definitely chime in citing stats that Ray isn't as ineffective as I'm making him out to be, but I was cussing him out more than anyone on the defense on Sunday.

    Sometimes your eyes work well enough to see what is in front of your face I think.
    Um...I guess I'm they guy: see my post above.

    Nice pre-emptive strike though. You think your eyes matter more than what the numbers tell you - it's your right to feel that way. I disagree.




  4. #28

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    You say Ray is an "enormous liability in pass coverage", and that the team's defense was demonstrably more effective without him as if those were proven facts. They're not:

    Ravens passing defense, 11 games with Ray:
    196 yds/game, 7 TDs (.64/game)

    Ravens passing defense, 4 games w/out Ray:
    188 yds/game, 3 TDs (.75/game)

    Add to that the fact that all 4 of the teams we faced without Ray are some of the worst passing offenses in the league:
    20th Cincy
    23rd Cleveland
    27th San Fran
    29th Indy

    You can make a case that the team's defense played overall a bit better without Ray, but not really against the pass.
    The pass rush has suffered since Ray's return and that needs to be how we win. I don't think it is any coincidence the sacks are going down again now that Ray is back.




  5. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,645
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I've seen Tony Romo come to the line with a play set up, only to watch Ray call the play out. Then, after Romo audibles, knowing that Ray knew the original play, Ray calls the audible out, leaving Romo with the look of nervousness on his face, because he can't fool the defense.

    I've seen Ray alert Suggs that the play is coming his way, only for Suggs to lose contain and let the RB get around him, even after Ray told him the play was coming that way.

    Ellerbe and McClain are not doing that against Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady. T.J. Yates is another story.
    that was 4 seasons ago!!! we have seen how much more effective JJ has been this year with a lighter workload. it is time to do the same with Ray, but the coaching staff won't do it this year. they will ask him to be a 2 down backer next year after they ask him to restructure his contract. IMHO




  6. #30

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    The man hit somebody in practice so hard, that is caused a five point earthquake, and we don't want him on the field every play?!!
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,645
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    when it came up last year, Ray said that he would be open to taking a reduced role when the time came. he didn't indicate who would decide when the time was right, but i think we can assume that he was talking about himself knowing when the time had come.




  8. #32

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    that was 4 seasons ago!!! we have seen how much more effective JJ has been this year with a lighter workload. it is time to do the same with Ray, but the coaching staff won't do it this year. they will ask him to be a 2 down backer next year after they ask him to restructure his contract. IMHO
    He keeps talking about what Ray Lewis has done in the past..

    Right now, he is hurt, and Old..... Saddens me to say it but he's basically a 2 down back.

    Anyone who wants to argue to the contrary, i would understand, i almost want to say fuck it play him on offense too, but i mean reality is a bitch.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb





  9. #33

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    when it came up last year, Ray said that he would be open to taking a reduced role when the time came. he didn't indicate who would decide when the time was right, but i think we can assume that he was talking about himself knowing when the time had come.
    And since he answers all questions about how he feels physically with "I feel the best I ever have," lol, I don't see him pulling himself out.

    Obviously he has lost a couple steps, but his prime was a step faster than great. So that leaves him a step worse than great, which is good. We could get faster guys in there on passing downs, but you are sacrificing experience to gain in speed. It might lead to a few extra PDs (and maybe punts) then one entirely blown coverage for a TD. It may not, it is hard to say. I do think we could maybe scheme things a bit differently under the assumption Ray cannot cover athletic TEs or RBs by himself, but then again you may face the same Ray-veto of that decision.

    I suspect, as the OP has pondered, that it will have to be glaringly obvious that Ray should come off the field on 3rd down for him to agree or decide to do it. I don't think the drop off is glaring enough yet, but I do notice it on some plays.




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    2,388

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    All I can provide is a comment I'm sure everyone heard Harbaugh make about Ray pretty much deciding what Ray wants to do. I probably worded what I said wrong. It is more of a presumption that if the Ravens took Ray off the field on third down he would most likely throw a fit.

    Anyone can feel free to disagree with what they think his reaction would be. People's thoughts on scaling down his workload at this point, not next season or never is what I wanted the thread to be about.

    It doesn't look like he scares anybody anymore.
    Thanks for clearing that up because I had not ever heard ray say anything about being asked to come out on 3rd downs. Not that I don't think it a good idea. He has lost a step or two, especially dropping back in coverage. His numbers are still very respectable though in almost all categories.




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Owings Mills
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    I'm sorry but I stick with the fact that a future Hall of Famer and arguably still a top 5 MLB should always be on the field.

    Maybe I'm wrong but I just think we were so used to seeing maybe the greatest MLB ever play that now that he is older and not playing the position at a level higher than everyone else and just playing the position the way most do we are looking at it as a flaw when in reality this is what good LB play looks like instead of maybe the greatest play ever?
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

    Section 126, Row 33




    Lets Go Flacco




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,622
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ray Lewis- Giving Him the Tough Talk

    Ray wanted to come back 2 games earlier than he did and the coaches said no. This coaching staff is not scared of him. If they feel they have a better option than Ray Lewis on 3rd down or any other down they would play him.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland