Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Local Sports Talk Show Host: Building the perfect "beast"

We have a poll up on the home page and we're looking for your vote on the best daily/weekday sports talk show host in Baltimore. I've started this thread for commentary on the topic in the event we left off a name or names that should appear on the list or just as a forum for general discussion on the topic.

If you could build the perfect sports talk show host from the best of the local talent out there using the categories below (similar to the way you might build the perfect player in Madden) what would it take?

Voice:
    Knowledge:
    Energy:
    Humor:
    Topics:
    Interaction With Callers:

So for example you could say:

Voice: Viviano
    Knowledge: Forrester
    Energy: Davis
    Humor: Haynie
    Topics: Long
    Interaction: Yaffe

So have at it...build the perfect "beast!"

Oh and one more thing, you aren't limited to these hosts...others like Anita Marks, Keith Mills, Amber Theoharis, Tom Davis, et al can also be used to build the beast.
    Last edited by TL24x7; 06-29-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Re: Best Local Sports Talk Show Host: Building the perfect "beast"

You dont have Anita Marks in the poll. Why? Ha, Ha, Ha!!!! Viviano is a professional, but he cannot let loose because of his position with JZ. The bulldog talking about the Orioles in '07 is laugh. For the last few years all he did was BASH them. Now with CBS contrct he has changed his tune. Plus, he knows nada about baseball. Will Anita Marks ever run a show by herself? She cant, because she does'nt know what the hell she is talking about!!! I listen to NST, but I realize they have a chip on there shoulder. DF talking about the soccer business is like talking about owning a snowball stand. They do lay it on a tad with the Orioles, but guess what, the O's approach is just plain stupid. Steve Davis is a no factor. How many people are driving around at seven o'clock at night?--very few.

3. Re: Best Local Sports Talk Show Host: Building the perfect "beast"

I love Marks' rack. I watch her with the sound muted.
    Is that wrong?

As for NST, (content aside), they need voice training. A friend of mine in Cali was wondering what a 'hon sounded like, and I told him to listen to the AM show.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. 'hon.:)

PS- While Drew and his callers have a ton of hon in them, his ASK PETER is great.

WNST is still the standard in local sports radio. Haynie is head and shoulders above the rest. Bruce Cunningham and Aaron Wilson have the best Raven's show in town. Anita Marks is a joke. Mike and Mike is an even bigger joke. Tom Davis is the biggest O's apologist. Drew Forrester is way too full of himself, and he can't carry a show.

Haynie is still head and shoulders above everyone else. Drew has gotten alot better with his own show. JFK is unlistenable junk. Schmuck is good on WBAL. Mills is awful. S Davis' show depends completely on his guests, when they're good his show is worth listening too. T Davis is horrid but at least D Johnson brings a semblance of reality to the proceedings. Rob Long is pathetically bad. Marks should mail him a thank you note every month or she'd be out of a job. It's still surreal to hear Terry Ford do the O's postgame on Sunday's! That's like letting Angelos host the Ravens postgame on WBAL.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    Rob Long is pathetically bad.
    I agree with everything else but was really surprised at this.

He's not Haynie, or the BC show, but he's better then just about every other radio show host in town. Reasonable minds can differ, I suppose.

On a side note, I hadn't noticed Terry was still working in the area, glad to hear it, though it must be quite different from what he was doing before. . . :)
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Amber isn't bad to look at.

Is that part of the perfect beast?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

My quick take:

WNST:
    Forrester: not awful, but doesn't have many guests and gets very repetitive. He often get an attitude as well, but he is better solo than compared w/ being paired w/ Terry Ford.

Rob Long: He is getting better and better and I like how he takes a lot of calls each afternoon. I think he gives too much time to the NBA, but he is better than Marks.

Bob Haynie: Def the benchmark for Baltimore sports radio.
    1. he is local
    2. he is funny
    3. he gives quality time to college sports, which includes lax
    4. does quality interviews that never seem to get TOO serious

1300 WJFK
    Viviano: solid, if bland. He doesn't know much about anything other than football and baseball

Yaffe: I don't have anything good to say about this cat....I think he is very replaceable.

WBAL
    Steve Davis: I like his interviews w/ his guests. I listen to him more and more now since Marks is so bad.

FM

Well our effort to determine who you think is the best daily sports talk show host via our Daily Buzz poll was nailed by a spammer. Seemingly overnight, one of the six hosts listed on the poll went from a distant sixth to a solid first. So we were forced to take it down.

But feel free to continue your comments here on this thread.

Hey Mod...please give some more details on the spammer/poll issue.

Thanks,

FM

Unhappy Re: Best Local Sports Talk Show Host: Building the perfect "beast"

I like WNST over JFK. What get's me is the JFK biased toward the Orioles being great. You woudl think they are in first place listening to Anita Marks. However, WNST can be a bit repetitive on how hard they are on the O's (although I agree with all of it).

Rob Long does have good topics, and I like his view points.
    Hayne is a greater interviewer.
    My personal favorite show is the WNST Saturday Raven's show.
    I like Drew Forrester becuase he is entertaining in the morning.
    The new guys on WNST are pretty good too.

As far as WJFK goes, they seem to have a better pool of better guests, but I'm assuming they have deeper pockets.

Anita Marks needs to stop "American Idol" polls and start talking about sports.
    Viviano is a good host and interviewer as well. I can't stand Yaffee. This guy sounds like he invented football.
    Tom Davis is an Orioles wind-bag. I'm not sure about how I feel about Stan The Fan.

I haven't heard Steve Davis in a long time. It's too late at night.

I miss Terry Ford's humor. I didn't realize he was still on radio anywhere.

I'm surprised at how fast Jeremy Kahn (now on Anita Mark's show) changed his tune. He used to rip her up and down on the WNST morning show and now they sound very buddy-buddy.

I guess it's just like free agent's in sports (see Jamal Lewis article). Your current team is always better than your former team.

Amber is the best to look at, just have to make sure the mute button is on!