Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Can Cincinnati clinch a playoff spot this weekend?

If the Bengals win and the Jets lose, would the Bengals have a playoff spot locked up this weekend?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Can Cincinnati clinch a playoff spot this weekend?

this is a pretty good playoff machine: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

They can get the six spot only at this point. Here are the scenarios:

Spot #6 - Wildcard
    Case 1
    Bengals beat the Cardinals, and
    Bengals beat the Ravens, and
    Giants beat the Jets

Case 2
    Bengals beat the Cardinals, and
    Dolphins beat the Jets

Case 3
    Bills beat the Broncos, and
    Dolphins beat the Jets, and
    Chiefs beat the Broncos

Case 4
    Chiefs beat the Raiders, and
    Lions beat the Chargers, and
    Dolphins beat the Jets

Case 5
    Chiefs beat the Raiders, and
    Raiders beat the Chargers

Case 6
    Lions beat the Chargers, and
    Chargers beat the Raiders

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Thanks for the detail. To put it simply, the Bengals can neither clinch nor be eliminated this weekend. The game against the Ravens will be treated as a win and in scenario for them, since the Jets are playing at the same time, and the Bengals won't be able to know their fate before taking the field.

Blog Entries

From what it is showing me, the Bengals would take over the sixth seed with a win Saturday and a Jets loss, but will not clinch it.

It seems that, to make a long story short, the Bengals would only get the sixth seed if they finish with a better overall record than the Jets.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

as I unnerstand it the Jets hold tiebreaker vs Bengals
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

That seems to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    From what it is showing me, the Bengals would take over the sixth seed with a win Saturday and a Jets loss, but will not clinch it.

It seems that, to make a long story short, the Bengals would only get the sixth seed if they finish with a better overall record than the Jets.
    The Jets hold a fairly large Strength of Victory lead over Cincy...so yeah, in most scenarios, a tie goes to New York.

The only way this doesn't happen is if:

Jets beat the Giants, but lose to Miami
    Bengals lose to Cardinals, but beat Baltimore

In that case, they'd both be 9-7, but the Bengals would have a 7-5 conference record, vs the Jets 6-6, and Cincy would get the #6 seed.

Blog Entries

So, it's not the Bengals who can clinch the sixth spot Saturday, but the Jets. If the Jets defeat the Giants and the Cardinals defeat the Bengals, the Jets will lock up the sixth seed. The only other team that would stand a legitimate chance of getting the sixth seed would be Oakland. If Oakland and New York finish with the same record, Oakland would get the sixth seed, because they defeated New York. Even if San Diego is brought into the equation for a three way tie, the Chargers have lost to the Raiders and the Jets.

Blog Entries

No, even if Cincy loses they are not eliminated. The 6th seed will go down to the last game.

If I'm incorrect on that please let me know

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So, it's not the Bengals who can clinch the sixth spot Saturday, but the Jets. If the Jets defeat the Giants and the Cardinals defeat the Bengals, the Jets will lock up the sixth seed. The only other team that would stand a legitimate chance of getting the sixth seed would be Oakland. If Oakland and New York finish with the same record, Oakland would get the sixth seed, because they defeated New York. Even if San Diego is brought into the equation for a three way tie, the Chargers have lost to the Raiders and the Jets.
    No one can clinch the #6 seed this weekend. Not the Jets or Cincy (both 8-6), and certainly not all the teams who are currently 7-7.

No matter what happens this weekend, we will need, at minimum, the results of week 17's early games to determine the #6 seed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    No one can clinch the #6 seed this weekend. Not the Jets or Cincy (both 8-6), and certainly not all the teams who are currently 7-7.

No matter what happens this weekend, we will need, at minimum, the results of week 17's early games to determine the #6 seed.
    I have it now. Thank you for your help. I put in the information to the Espn thing improperly.

Blog Entries

Is there any way that Cincinnati can clinch a playoff spot, without defeating Baltimore?