Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Gaither - Supplemental Draft

No way to track it I don't think, the official time is 1pm EST so I'd imagine that around about 2pm EST all bids for all players will have been sorted and announcements made at some point today or tomorrow.

RAVENS GATHER GAITHER

A league source tell us that the Baltimore Ravens have selected former Maryland tackle Jared Gaither in round five of the supplemental draft.

No other players are expected to be selected.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    RAVENS GATHER GAITHER

A league source tell us that the Baltimore Ravens have selected former Maryland tackle Jared Gaither in round five of the supplemental draft.

No other players are expected to be selected.
    If true, I hereby apologize to Awalt... I was off base not you... it's all good with me though... at least we STOLE the guy...

I didn't post the link :

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Scroll down a little bit...
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I think that was the right player at the right position with the right draft pick. We continue to gather insurance against Ogden retiring after this season, and we do it without spending much in resources or committing big free-agent dollars. We have two rookie OTs who will get a year on the bench to learn from JO and our coaches, and then fight with Adam Terry for the two starting spots when Ogden hangs it up (I'm hoping he never does, but we all know it's likely after this year, more likely if we win a championship).

Ogden, Grubbs, Brown, Chester, Terry, Yanda, Flynn, Vincent, Gaither... not a bad roster of linemen, and that's not even counting Rimpf, who may return. I don't feel much more confident about this year, but I think we've rejuvenated the line for years to come.

A Wilson has confirmed this. Nice steal by the Oz man.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Now that was a good spot for him.

A first day pick for him was just rediculous.

I agree with Gabrosin...this really fits the Raven MO, that being "building the team from the bottom up"

Tackle depth sits at Ogden, Terry, Yanda, and then Gaither is probably the #4 tackle on the team right off the bat.

Very classic low risk high reward. A 5th isn't a lot to risk for a player with Gaither's athletic potential. If the man can get his house back in order, be in shape and healthy....Ozzie looks like a genius. If he's a flash in the pan backup for three years, it's still depth at a relatively inexpensive price.

Sweet. I am sure some of us (myself for sure) got caught up in his size and that he was a Terp, in rating him so high draft pick wise.

Ozzie Newsome is a genius. Not to mention we will get compensation picks for AD and probably Jamal & Pashos next year anyway.

Not Jamal, he was cut, but Mughelli and Franklyn as well as Pashos and AD.... Still 4 picks, looks to me like (1) 3rd, (2) 5ths and a 7th.

This is a great pick on the 5th round! Remember that pick will likely be replaced by a comp pick not that many choices below.

I have some doubts on whether Gaither is a PLAYER, but with what he brings to the table this is a GREAT pick.

Wow what a young group of OL'men we are collecting...

1. To those posters screaming to throw a 1st and 2nd rounder for Gaither, thank God you never became a NFL GM, because your career would have been short.

2. For the round (5th) this is not a bad investment. This is low risk and high reward. If he does not show anything this Summer, then put him on the P.S. or just cut him. While Gaither has good measurables, the reports of "poor conditioning" coupled with intelligence issues do not make that greatly excited about him. Maybe Gaither in a lockerroom with a Ray Lewis, JO, McNair and Ed Reed (hell even a Troy Smith) will help to put fire under his ass. They should haze the hell out of him.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!