Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gaither - Supplemental Draft

Jared Gaither, MD's gigantic left tackle has entered into the supplemental draft.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...home-headlines

Should the Ravens take a shot at him and if so which round? I think taking a shot as high as 2nd round would be worth it. He is a 6'9" 350 lb LT who could learn from a year behind JO. He showed total domination over his brief career. Our O-line would be set for years to come with all the young talent we have now.

He was projected as 5th rounder for some reason if he would have come out after last year, but top 10 in some early projections for next year. My only question is motivation. Seems like he is not the brightest kid and was given plenty of time/chances to get into good academic standing but didnt.

Re: Gaither - Supplemental Draft

I agree... if not a second.. I really have to consider a first round pick myself. I expect the Ravens to pick in the late half of the 1st round round yet again.. If things go as we want them to maybe even the 32nd pick in 08. Gaither looked and played well against high competition. I know Ralph had some issues with him.. how much of them were character related.. Im not really sure.. but if everything else checks out and he has a solid, solid workout for scouts.. I think he would be worth the offering of a 2nd to 1st round selection. Your Ravens line for 2008 could very well be:

LT LG C RG RT
    Gaither J. Brown Chester Grubbs A. Terry

Young, Strong and Athletic..... leaves alot to ponder... We'll see July 12th !

Round four - Si - possible good choice
    Round one - No - too high

There are lots of good tackles coming out in 2008, and that's when we'll need one. We (Ozzie) are too good at grabbing gems in round one to risk next year's on a maybe, or even a probably.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Character issues and him being so raw I'd be surprised to see a first day pick used on him. That said, with the right line coach and the right head coach to keep him motivated, he can be an elite LT in the NFL, he's got all the tools, he's just gotta put it together.

With Adam Terry ready to take over at LT I don't see us being the highest bidder for him.

According to this ESPN article by Pastabelly, we're in the group of teams showing the most interest for him.

LINK

First round?

I'm not big on guys who flunk out of school...I mean, I'm a huge Terp fan and love Gaithers potential, but I'm just not gonna start blowing pics and money on guys who lack motivation and focus.

Gaither has a lot to prove.

I'd use a 4th...no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn
    I'm not big on guys who flunk out of school...I mean, I'm a huge Terp fan and love Gaithers potential, but I'm just not gonna start blowing pics and money on guys who lack motivation and focus
    Agreed -- I have to be wary of a guy that was only available for the supplemental draft because he flunked out of school. He may have lots of potential, as everyone likes to say, but he also has "potential loser" written all over him.

Pass.

He'll definitely get a first day pick used on him by someone. Maybe us, who knows. Of note is that Gaither is pretty much exclusively a RT. Would fit with Terry well if he shows he can take the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post
    He'll definitely get a first day pick used on him by someone. Maybe us, who knows. Of note is that Gaither is pretty much exclusively a RT. Would fit with Terry well if he shows he can take the helm.
    He played both sides...freshman year.

In fact, he played mostly LT freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    He played both sides...freshman year.

In fact, he played mostly LT freshman year.
    Yeah, but after that, exclusively RT. His body type and technique projects there. It wouldn't be a bad move, we need a RT, and he could be a pro bowler.

We're handicapped in bidding terms in that we don't have a third rounder to bid on him. I think we'll bid a fourth but someone like Atlanta (very much think they'll be the top bidder for him) may bid that 3rd rounder with their massive issues at tackle.

What time is the supplemental draft? I know it is today but cant find sh!t about it on nfl.com or ESPN. Is there any way to track it? Or do we just get a press release sometime this afternoon?