Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torrey Smith

Torrey Smith

I think most of us remember how unpleasent it was to watch Torrey in the preseason. He honestly couldn't catch a cold.

Oh how he has improved.

Torrey now ranks fifth in receptions among rookies (fourth among WRs), tied for first with seven TD receptions, second for 1st down percentage with 74% and is tied for sixth or seventh in TD receptions in the league.

He's also second among rookies in per reception average with 17.9, only a tenth of a point behind Julio.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Re: Torrey Smith

He's gonna be a star
    90% of the game is half mental

Each game, I select a top 5 list of the players who I think excelled the most.

Torrey was my #1 pick. In addition to the TD, he also made a couple of semi difficult catches and had zero drops.

Dickson was 2nd and Yanda was 3rd coincidentally. Rice was 4th and Redding was 5th.

As someone who has done extensive research on drafted wide receivers, I can't begin to tell you how rare it is to do what Torry is doing his rookie year. And all as a late 2nd rounder,not like a top 10 pick where a lot of the good productive first year wideouts come from.

I will have to pull up the spreadsheet one day but I am going to say it is about 10% with a large majority begin the Larry Fitzgerald can't miss type picks.

On pace for 880 yards, an 18ypc average and 8 TD's in a very statistically average offense to boot which holds his numbers down. That is flat out amazing, especially the TD's.

Home fcking run for Ozzie.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I think most of us remember how unpleasent it was to watch Torrey in the preseason. He honestly couldn't catch a cold.

Oh how he has improved.

Torrey now ranks fifth in receptions among rookies (fourth among WRs), tied for first with seven TD receptions, second for 1st down percentage with 74% and is tied for sixth or seventh in TD receptions in the league.

He's also second among rookies in per reception average with 17.9, only a tenth of a point behind Julio.
    That's great! Way to go rookie! Way to go Ozzie!

And he's doing it w/o a real offseason to train and get accustomed to our offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    As someone who has done extensive research on drafted wide receivers, I can't begin to tell you how rare it is to do what Torry is doing his rookie year. And all as a late 2nd rounder,not like a top 10 pick where a lot of the good productive first year wideouts come from.

I will have to pull up the spreadsheet one day but I am going to say it is about 10% with a large majority begin the Larry Fitzgerald can't miss type picks.

On pace for 880 yards, an 18ypc average and 8 TD's in a very statistically average offense to boot which holds his numbers down. That is flat out amazing, especially the TD's.

We finally got Nicks who had 790 yds his rookie year and 1,000 the last
    two years. One member said he'd rather have TJ who is no longer here than
    Nicks who is still in NY and has the hat trick. Is TJ anywhere.

I remember being a little upset when we took Jimmy Smith with our first round pick (I was begging for Torrey). However, Smith hasn't done "awful" this year.

But when we got to the second round round and Torrey was still on the board and I heard that we had selected him, I was cheering at the top of my lungs. I had a feeling about him and it looks like he's performing how I anticipated. I hope that he and Flacco can become as impressive of a tandem as Young-Rice, Brady-Moss, Manning-Harrison. (I know that'll be a bit of a stretch, but you never know what could happen).
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

I can easily see Torrey being that sort of receiver with Flacco. He works hard and has the physical ability to be one of the best in the league. In fact, I'd say his physical skills are better than that of Harrison or Wayne with Manning, and definately better than just about anyone Brady has been playing with.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

It'going to be interesting watching this guy going forward, years from now. To almost get 1000 receiving yards you're rookie year is really something!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post

Well said and absolutely true.

:celery
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Just think of what his numbers woud look like if Flacco hadn't overthrown him a bunch earlier. We could've been talking 10-15 TDs with 1200 yards recieving.