Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The realities

Re: The realities

Bert, on that last drive his pocket prescence was good, but it wouldn't have been necessary had he played well for the first 58 minutes. He was damn lucky that Cleveland dropped INTS. He was forcing plays and way way off target.
    Thank you. This had nothing to do with McNair's leadership. Leadership doesn't put you in a 14-3 hole and make you pray that Stover can actually hit that 52 yard field goal to win the game for you because you wildly overthrew your receiver on 3rd down.

Sorry, but I don't see it yet.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 09-24-2006 at 08:10 PM.

3-0 is great, but something needs to change!!

How many years running are we now with this pathetic offensive football?

I know Mcnair is much older now, and has lost some arm strength, etc.

But no way in hell a guy like that goes from NFL MVP just two years ago to looking like a reincarnation of every QB we've had since Billick got here.

The system, play calling and continued poor offensive line play are the constants that never change.

That crap we just watched Will Not get it done against better teams such as what we now have in front of us.

I'd love to know what Biscotti is thinking right now.

After all, besides owning the team, he pretty much brings the same fan type mentallity as the rest of us.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

His arm strength has been fine also.

Those looping tosses? If not for some outstanding catches by Mason, the long tosses would have been incomplete. Judging from what we have seen in three games, it's obvious why the Titans didn't put up a fight to keep McNair. His first three quarters' performance today was mediocre at best. Add that to not much in Tampa after the first drive and a sad showing against Oakland. He was outplayed today by nobody Charlie Fry. Outstanding catches by Mason and Calyton masked the low quality of passes thrown in the 4th quarter comeback.

The reality: I do not see McNair as an upgrade so far. (I don't put much stock in terms like "intangibles" and "leadership", which sound like apologies). I am hoping he can step it up with upcoming games against a few teams that can score points.

"it's obvious why the Titans didn't put up a fight to keep McNair."

Could have fooled me.

If that was the case, they would have taken the first offer we made and been happy.

I definitely think arm strength is an issue regarding Mcnair, but the intangibles are not.

Noi doubt in my mind a younger less experienced QB in that situation, and we would have lost.

Don't know what it is, but his presence on the field means something to these guys which is an intangible that can't be over looked.

With that being said, this offense including Mcnair need to step it up a couple notches or these borderline wins will become ass kickings from our opponents.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Why is Charlie Fry a "nobody". He showed signs last year that he had the potential to be a good QB. I think we saw that today. He was getting his ass kicked and running for his life and made plays. Give the guy some credit.

The reality is that Romeo Crennel and his offensive coordinator should be fined a week's pay for calling that pass play with 3:21 to go in the game (which CMac intercepted). S-T-U-P-I-D.

Why on earth didn't they just run the ball there? If they get a TD, great (not great for the Ravens, but you know what I mean). If they kick a FG, the game would have probably been over. Baltimore wasn't going to drive the length of the field for a TD, I assume.

That will go down as a horrendous play call in Cleveland. If you're going to throw the ball, throw a jump ball in the corner...don't throw it across the middle of the field. In the end, though, a pass at that point was totally the wrong thing to do.

If that would have been Billick-Fassel calling that play (with the same results), people would be lined up at 1 Winning Drive waiting for them to pull into the driveway.

Next thought: McNair's gonna get his head taken off soon if they don't find someone to block for him.

And finally: 3-0 is way better than 2-1, especially when Cincy is 3-0 with TWO road wins in tough venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Outstanding catches by Mason and Calyton masked the low quality of passes thrown in the 4th quarter comeback.

That is what good receivers do. That is why QBs like Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning are so great; they both have WRs that make them look great. Same for Big Ben.

I am not saying that McNair was lights out today, but every QB needs WRs that they can get the ball to and hope those guys can make plays. That's what McNair did today. Guaranteed, Boller could not have made those throws and would have buckled under the pressure of that 4th quarter drive. McNair was not great, but he was good enough to get the ball to our playmakers at WR. Clayton and Mason can't make those catches if the QB is not getting the ball to them. That's why they are called PLAYMAKERS.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

That will go down as a horrendous play call in Cleveland.

It's Cleveland once you breath the air bad things start to happen. Just ask Marty Shootmyasser or Mike Hasbeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    The reality: I do not see McNair as an upgrade so far. (I don't put much stock in terms like "intangibles" and "leadership", which sound like apologies). I am hoping he can step it up with upcoming games against a few teams that can score points.

Sorry but that is complete bulls--t. We are 3-0. No way do we win the game today with Boller at the helm. If you choose not to believe that McNair has given the team confidence, hey, thats your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. McNair's intangibles have made the difference. He's given the D the confidence that they'll have support and he's given the offensive a leader, someone they can rally around.

I'm not even going to get into the comment of the WRs bailing him out because that is simply scraping the bottom of the barrel. WRs are supposed to make plays. They did today.

Not saying McNair has been perfect or great by any means, but to say he's "not an upgrade" is just, wow. I can't find a word for it. Ridiculous. Quite frankly I'm sick and tired of people talking like we are 1-2. I'll take 13 more wins JUST LIKE TODAY thank you.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Once again I'll ask you about the Jets game two years ago or the Texans game last year...

Oh wait, I'm trying to have an intelligent football discussion with you. Silly me.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Guaranteed, Boller could not have made those throws and would have buckled under the pressure of that 4th quarter drive.
    COUGH COUGH HOUSTON COUGH COUGH COUGH BOLLER TO CLAYTON COUGH COUGH COUGH

Come on, I get tired of dismissing Boller's same exact situations. Although I knew this honeymoon period with McNair would bring some of it out.

And if you want to get technical, Boller did it on a 9 man blitz, and got WELL within FG range, where as McNair got only got Stover 52 yards from the posts, and OVERTHREW HIS RECEIVER ON 3RD AND MEDIUM!

If Stover misses that FG, are we talking about how McNair marched the team downfield, or are we talking about McNair overthrowing Heap on 3rd down to lose the game because Stover was way out of range?

I'll take 13 more wins JUST LIKE TODAY thank you.
    2K6, we're not getting 13 more wins that way. I respect you man, always. But you are definitely reaching tonight. It's like we've watched two seperate games today. It almost sounds like the defense has so little pride and desire that if Boller was playing they wouldn't have played that way.

I'm not even going to get into the comment of the WRs bailing him out because that is simply scraping the bottom of the barrel. WRs are supposed to make plays. They did today.
    I almost want to dig up the game thread from the Houston game. I can guarantee you (much like you can guarantee Boller wouldn't have won this game), that many people said exactly the opposite when bashing Boller for having to come back and win that game.

This is what is frustrating. We're 3-0, yes. But we're acting like this offense was the difference. Shit, if C-Mac only gets a hand on the ball and doesn't pick it off, none of this matters.

And I'll ask again. If Stover misses that 52 YARD FG, are we talking about how McNair marched the team downfield? I bet not.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 09-24-2006 at 09:12 PM.

COUGH COUGH HOUSTON AT HOME COUGH COUGH

Please. Theres a difference in leading a comeback at home and leading one on the road. Boller did lead one on the road but that was 2 years ago. Boller hasn't won on the road since, so EXCUSE ME if I have my doubts about his ability to lead us back in such a scenario.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''