Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Should Ray and Ed retire after this season?

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    :grbac:

Talk about a spoiled fan base.
    :word

Over the years, these two have set the bar so high it becomes expected game after game, year after year. As good as they are/ were, there eventually becomes a time, (Matt Stover)
    to part ways. Ray owns the entitlemnet to do that on his own. Coaching needs to reduce his playing time as it is obvious he can't cover a tight end or running back out of the backfield. He is the general on the field and would take years, if ever to replace.
    Who knows, they may get an extra year or two just by doing that.
    Ed on the other hand has forced many offensive co ordinators to stay away from his side of the field. Which could be reason the interceptions are down.
    .....Support Our Warriors.....

Originally I was going to wait to post this as I suspected some people would think I'm knee jerking due to last nights pathetic display but, I had to get this out now. As we move into the playoffs against the QB's who can (and will) expose these flaws. I'm just being realistic. we've seen this before and I hope we can pull something together and make a nice run but with Ray and Ed slipping and the inconsistancies with every other coach and player on this team I just don't know?

I had hoped Ray would do better on the blitzes.....he looked really awkward out there. I wish Harbaugh had sat him again.....although I think we would have lost anyway. I think the team knew that SD was going to come out on fire and they just weren't up to it.....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I think the time may have come for Ray and Ed to gracefully exit.

Ed Reed is still playing at an elite level. He doesn't have the int #'s because they aren't throwing anywhere around him. That is why last night you saw so many passes to Floyd and hardly any to VJax. He was rolling his coverage to the side of the field that Smith had which was usually VJax's side. Ed is still among the best at the position and I don't think he needs to retire.

Now Ray on the other hand, has definitely been slowing down and is a complete liability in coverage. The toe injury is not helping at all, but him being in or out last night really didn't matter. I will reserve judgment on calling for Ray to hang 'em up until the end of the season, but I am leaning heavily toward answering that in the positive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    :grbac:

Talk about a spoiled fan base.
    :word

though an argument could be made for both to restructure their contracts. i'm not so sure their productivity can be counted on to match their cap hits next year.

Blog Entries

QB's still don't throw to Ed Reed's side of the field much. He's not the speedster he once was, but he's still a major threat to pick off a pass.

I couldn't tell if Ray's toe was still a factor, but the guy looked really slow last night and the Chargers just completely exploited the middle of the field all night long.

I think in certain packages Ray should start being weened off the field in lieu of McClain who is significantly quicker. At least until they determine if Ray's toe is 100% or not.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Americanmade2012 Guest

What is funny about the ray argument is that were are giving up less points with him on the sideline then in the game and i know it was a short span of games but still something to think about'

Ray is still valuable on 1st and 2nd downs which are typically running downs. Ray is a huge liability on 3rd down passing situations. If he really wants to win a championship he needs to look introspectively and realize his pass coverage skills are gone.

11. Re: Should Ray and Ed retire after this season?

I remember when the Colts couldn't stand watching Johnny Unitas hobbling around on bad knees, but he wouldn't retire, so he wound up in San Diego. I also remember the Orioles forceably "retiring" Brooks Robinson when he wouldn't admt that it was time to go. With all due respect, I would suggest that in their time they were at least the equals of Ed and Ray! THEY may say they are as good as they ever were, they may even believe it, but an objective viewer knows better. We need some linebackers who can cover the growing number of big TEs, and a free safety who can do the boring deep coverage work play after play, and not just live for 3 big plays per season.

I really don't know what Ed Reed's problem is. Is he covering for Cary Williams and Jimmy Smiths poor play or have his skills deteriorated so much that he is now a non-factor.
    Filmstudy usually concentrates on the line play. Would love to see him breakdown Reeds play to determine if its skill or scheme.