Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT- Crabcakes in O.C

I can't really participate in the discussion at hand.. allergic to shellfish.
    But....

A bone in steak? pass... gimme a nice Filet Med-Rare... Bone in cooks it all the way through. I like to taste the blood, and not have to put steak sauce on a dry steak.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Angelina's on Harford Road in Parkville/Hamilton had damn good crabcakes, but I believe they've changed ownership and they aren't as good anymore.
    That's too bad. 2 years ago I had four of them airfreighted from Angelina's to a Ravens fan stranded in Texas. He was just an anonymous internet poster who happened to be a graphic designer. At no charge he recreated the font for the famous letters on old Memorial stadium and we used it for our award winning float that year at the Roost convention. He said he missed Baltimore badly and he was stuck in Texas for his work, so i sent him some crabcakes. He and his wife said they loved 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    That's too bad. 2 years ago I had four of them airfreighted from Angelina's to a Ravens fan stranded in Texas. He was just an anonymous internet poster who happened to be a graphic designer. At no charge he recreated the font for the famous letters on old Memorial stadium and we used it for our award winning float that year at the Roost convention. He said he missed Baltimore badly and he was stuck in Texas for his work, so i sent him some crabcakes. He and his wife said they loved 'em.
    Apparently the mailorders have maintained original ownership and are still good. The actual resturant has gone downhill though. I live right down the street from them and about 4 weeks ago it went up for public auction as a turnkey operation. Wonder if things will go up. Anyone ever try the place I mentioned, Koco's? Really good. I cant recomend them enough.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

By the way, what's up with a crabcake sandwich? We don't want filler in our crabcake, so why put the crabcake in between two pieces of filler. My wife only wants the best crabcakes and then puts it in a roll. I don't get it.
    I don't know what the proper or popular edicate is with eating a crabcake but putting it on a hamburger roll (perferably a potato roll) with some fish sauce and maybe just a touch of ketchup mixed with hot sauce is good eating. I love cracking open crabs too. That is like a new passion of mine, never did it till I came down here.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I love cracking open crabs too.
    If you are "cracking" them open you got trained by a rube. Somebody who knows what they are doing never picks up a mallet and never has to beat the crabs to get at the meat. If you are using more than a butter knife, leverage and a bit of wisdom you are doing it wrong.

I dont know --theres a little lip on the back of the crab and i flip it and the whole body comes. WTF am I doing wrong?
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Nothing, that's where you start. It's if and when you pick up something to "hammer" the crab open that you show yourself to be a non-crabeater.

Not sure you're doing anything wrong..."cracking open" can be construed a couple of ways. Greg is correct that if you know what you are doing it is a simple matter to get at the meat without using a mallet but opening some claws could require more than the sharp end of a knife.

As an aside, I was in the eastern Carribean the last couple of weeks and caught a crab with my bare hands while wading...it was a blue crab. I had no idea they could live in that water.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

there is a little cracking sound when you pull that lever up or am I fucking nuts.

I used to use the knife & not the mallet until I stabbed myself in the finger. Kind of made picking hard the rest of the night.

Forgive me lord for having picked a bajillion crabs since with a mallet and not a knife, and teaching my children the same terrible habit. :grbac:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    there is a little cracking sound when you pull that lever up or am I fucking nuts.
    It it does make a cracking sound.

I think Greg equated a big crack as when an amateur smashes the shit out of a beautiful crab and probably gets about 30% of the meat out of it.

I do sometimes use a mallet when getting the claw meat (which is about 1/10 as good as the backfin) because you can't always get all of the meat out by just separating and pulling.

On a side note. Anyone ever sat down with a person who is trying to eat a crab for the 1st time? It's pretty damn funny.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    I think Greg equated a big crack as when an amateur smashes the shit out of a beautiful crab and probably gets about 30% of the meat out of it.

I do sometimes use a mallet when getting the claw meat (which is about 1/10 as good as the backfin) because you can't always get all of the meat out by just separating and pulling.
    Ah, good. That's what I need the mallet for. The backfin meat I get barehanded & go home with the scratches to prove it.
    Dangerous business, picking crabs. The :toast: doesn't make it any safer, either.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.