Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Ravens 4th Most Likely Team to Get Peyton if Indy Chooses Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    You polish a couple more Lombardis while finding another QB. That would be the thinking.

Neck problems notwithstanding, it is a bit crazy to imply Flacco is a better QB than Manning (currently), though some people appear to do just that.

That said, I put the chances of Manning wearing a Ravens uniform at less than or equal to 0%.
    and then what another 10years, while be a losing team every year? no thanks done that before

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Personally - I think Peyton's neck/nerve injury is career ending and we have seen him take his last snap.
    Been thinking that all along. The Goober is a gamer and would be out there if he could be (even in this lost season for Indy). But he's not so game that he'd risk permanent incapacitation, even in a Super Bowl run. That they've been so cautious and closed-mouth suggests the injury is a bad one, If doctors tell him "Peyton, we have no idea if you'd walk away from another helmet to helmet hit," (cue James Harrison...) then he's done. What does he have left to prove in the game? And he's an intelligent, charismatic guy w/ tons of post football options: uber spokesperson, ensemble comedy film career, Senator from Tennessee or Indiana, etc., etc.

As for OP's topic, we don't need no Goobers. Too much $, too much Star Power, too many miles on him. I just don't see him "playing like a Raven."

What's maddening to me and what makes hundreds of threads appear on Ravens boards is that he says that the Falcons won't get Manning because they have a franchise QB, but the Ravens should because Flacco is mediocre.

Seriously take a good hard look at the Flacco and Ryan numbers. They're almost the same guy.
    If life hands you a lemon... throw it at somebody!!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    and then what another 10years, while be a losing team every year? no thanks done that before
    When were we a losing team for 10 years? lol

And why is that the assumed result? Could be we draft Joe Flacco part Deux after 3-4 more years and a couple of rings. Like I said, that is the argument, I am not necessarily saying I agree with it.

5. Re: Ravens 4th Most Likely Team to Get Peyton if Indy Chooses Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    You polish a couple more Lombardis while finding another QB. That would be the thinking.

Neck problems notwithstanding, it is a bit crazy to imply Flacco is a better QB than Manning (currently), though some people appear to do just that.

That said, I put the chances of Manning wearing a Ravens uniform at less than or equal to 0%.
    You do know that the Colts won the superbowl when Payton Manning was playing horrible and trying to give games away to the Chiefs, Ravens, and Patriots with his interceptions.

It is not a proven fact that just because the Ravens have Manning, that all of a sudden, the team is winning the superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    i would take a healthy manning for 3-4 more seasons over flacco at his current level of play for another 10 years
    First of all, there is no such animal as "a healthy Manning" any longer. Neck injuries are almost always for life- and debilitating. He might possibly get back out on the field- and he may possibly be OK- but he will never be what he once was- and he will always be one hit away from jarring his vertebrae and body into forced retirement- there is no way i would take that gamble based on Joe's proven record of winning.

If you could guarantee 1 or 2 Superbowls, I'd trade Joe for that- but Peyton's record in the playoffs suggests otherwise.

It's a foolish argument because it assumes that replacing Joe Flacco with an out of football for a year and brittle Peyton Manning would somehow guarantee a Superbowl. I have a feeling that Manning would look significantly less super playing against AFC North

Let's face it, we already expect a Superbowl with Joe behind center. Will a broken down Manning play so much better than an up and coming Joe Flacco as to justify mortgaging our future on him?

The Vikings tried this with Farve and we saw how that worked out.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.647726,-77.295795
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRavensDefense View Post
    You do know that the Colts won the superbowl when Payton Manning was playing horrible and trying to give games away to the Chiefs, Ravens, and Patriots with his interceptions.

It is not a proven fact that just because the Ravens have Manning, that all of a sudden, the team is winning the superbowl.
    I never said it was a proven fact.

And the 'horrible' and 'trying to give games away' is nonsense, of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I could see the possibility of Manning in Baltimore if two things happen:

1) Flacco bombs in the playoffs again.

2) Manning is RELEASED by the Colts, thus making him available to any team at their price, not the enormous contract he is under now.

Those two things could both happen, but even then, I'd still say it's an extreme longshot. I definitely think the team is content with Flacco as the QB here and probably not interested in other players there, and rightfully so. Dude is a fine player. SF is probably where he ends up...
    Bombs? Please, Manning probably wishes he had the start to his career that Joe has had. Peyton couldn't win jack outside of the dome, and played much worse than Joe has played in the playoffs so far.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Peyton Manning 2012 prediction - and ESPN speculation re Ravens (merged threads)

The Colts wouldn't even put Manning on IR this season. In doing so, they wasted a roster spot all year. I simply don't see Irsay cutting the most iconic figure in the history of the Indianapolis Colts. Sure, most good teams know when to part with these type of players. Again, I just don't see it happening in this case.

Blog Entries

Re: Peyton Manning 2012 prediction - and ESPN speculation re Ravens (merged threads)

Manning won't leave Indy, he'll stay either as a QB or as a mentor to Luck. He's too valuable to trade/release, particularly given the cap hit they would take. Even if a team was willing to take a chance on his neck and offer him a contract I doubt Manning would take it, he operates with full control of an offense and wouldn't want to go through getting the same level of understanding with Holmes/Burress/LT. He will never play for another team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    Bombs? Please, Manning probably wishes he had the start to his career that Joe has had. Peyton couldn't win jack outside of the dome, and played much worse than Joe has played in the playoffs so far.
    Manning has a much better postseason QB rating (88.4) than Flacco (61.6). I am pretty sure he also has a better postseason QB rating than Brady (85.7), if you can believe it. Elway has a career postseason rating of 79, Aikman 88.3, Montana 95, for reference.

One can debate that a neck-injured old Manning would not give a team a better chance to win any random playoff game than a young improving Flacco, but let's stop with the insinuation that the established record/stats indicate this is likely, let alone given.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 12-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.