Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jason Brown, Bryan Mattison, Mark Levoir

Good for Mattison & Levoir ... they landed gigs [at least for now] w/ one of only 32 NFL teams. Because that one is the Rams, I can wish them all the luck in the world.

I thought the Rams had benched Brown earlier in the season. I don't know if the Ravens would want him back at veteran money. Only center and LT might be in play next year. It will probably take Festivus Maximus to make Birk retire, at which point Gurode would probably want to stay around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I'm still hoping that Jason Brown gets cut this off-season and Ozzie signs him back to be the center.
    Know where you're coming from wicked, but I think it's a long-shot. My opinion is (if Birk retires) that we resign Gurode (2 years ?) and draft a future Center in 2012. Keep in mind that many Centers have played well into their 30's... Bc

Blog Entries

I would love brown back that he's not too bad age wise either, and I think he's been healthy no major injuries. Some time a change of scenery does wonders for player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Know where you're coming from wicked, but I think it's a long-shot. My opinion is (if Birk retires) that we resign Gurode (2 years ?) and draft a future Center in 2012. Keep in mind that many Centers have played well into their 30's... Bc
    that would be a better solution IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Gurode has not been very good this season. I understand that he's a better Center than Guard but I'm not sure the Ravens look to resign him.

Blog Entries

I doubt we resign him even as a center if birk retires after the season. I like the youth movement and I hope it continues. It kinda makes me a lil upset because about 4 seasons ago we had the youngets and most talented offensive line we have ever had with Gaither, Grubbs, Brown, Yanda and Oher..that's top notch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Gurode has not been very good this season. I understand that he's a better Center than Guard but I'm not sure the Ravens look to resign him.
    That would be my thought as well.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Gurode is still a decent player, but is he starting caliber? He got beat out by Phil Costas in Dallas (who hasn't been that great at all) and then they cut Gurode who wouldn't take a pay cut.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

You spiked my curiosity and I went looking for Jason Murphy.
    Saw wiki still listed him as a Raven as does one other site but looks like is is out of the NFL currently.
    Same appears true for Colin Madison and Kyle Calloway who were cut to make room for Murphy and LeVoir.
    Gotta also quietly mention Cousins and Chester

There are a lot of big guys that can play OL, not a lot of them can be really good, or at least consistant play to play.

Just another tribute to our FO that out "cast-offs" are useful to other teams.

Definitely interesting 3 of them ended up with the Rams. That is tough, I can see a team plugging in one second tier OL but to get 3 that another team has chosen not to retain? Screams of problems.

IIRC, Brown wasn't someone we particularly wanted to get rid of, he got an offer that was well beyond best player/right price.
    I wouldn't mind seeing us take another look at him if he springs free in the offseason. He was a mauling guard before the shift to center after Flynn's retirement, so he would be insurance... would want to know why he was benched for a while (health? breakdowns? missed line calls?)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    I thought the Rams had benched Brown earlier in the season. I don't know if the Ravens would want him back at veteran money.
    They did bench him as their Center (he sat for 2 games, IIRC), but reinserted him at Guard when their OL got decimated by injuries.

Had those injuries not occurred, he might still be on the bench.

The Rams may well have a new coaching staff next year, so all bets may be off, but if this staff stays, I'd imagine they'd be looking to cut ties with him because he is so highly paid and they clearly seem to not be happy with him.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I do not agree with you (or wicked's post). Gurode is not a very able LG, but he has been a pro bowl (Cowboys) Center several times. When Birk was injured, he came in and played well. He was released by Dallas due to contract not ability. This Ravens team is not in rebuild mode, so having a veteran Center is a must.
    IMO Ozzie didn't just sign him for 2011, but to replace Birk before a young Center is trained for 2013 and beyond... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IMO Ozzie didn't just sign him for 2011, but to replace Birk before a young Center is trained for 2013 and beyond... Bc
    I agree for the most part, but would just say that I think it was basically a one-year get to know him and see if he could be the guy to replace Birk. Then, if all went well - played well and a good teammate - they would look to re-sign him.

At this point, I think they will look to do so, but if Brown were to become available (I know that Ozzie loved him), they may choose to pursue Brown first.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Gurode is older and may decline quicker than Birk, but seeing as hes been here a year, and filled in at least admirably at center and tried at guard. I think its possible hes re-signed. Knowing the system is a huge benefit and the Ravens switched their blocking style this year to more of a zone blocking. Id kick the tires but does Ozzie really have a history of bringing back guys that went off to sign elsewhere. Im not really thinking of any to be honest. Id sooner have Brown i believe but without knowing what hes been doing its hard to make that call.
    -JAB