Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rules Question

The safety early in the NYG/Dallas game.

Romo is hit around the 3 yard line, stumbles backwards, almost regains his balance, but then falls down in the end zone. The safety is called immediately, and no one seems to debate it - coaches, players or announcers.

I don't get it; if he was hit around the 3, and it was that hit that caused him to go down, shouldn't the ball be placed at that spot? If he was ruled to have escaped that hit, doesn't he need to be touched again to be down in the end zone?

Little help, please?

Blog Entries

Re: Rules Question

plus I don't think he was touched after he went down in the end zone. I thought the same thing but the only explanation I came up with was that they were stopping the play. He was about to get sacked inthe endzone

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    plus I don't think he was touched after he went down in the end zone. I thought the same thing but the only explanation I came up with was that they were stopping the play. He was about to get sacked inthe endzone
    Right, that's what puzzled me. If he wasn't touched after going down in the end zone, I thought he either should have been allowed to get up, or - if the officials determined the initial contact is what caused him to fall - the ball should have been marked around the 3.

Very puzzling on the surface, but maybe just a(nother) rule I don't know.

Blog Entries

here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKsCbeG_lyI

I saw an explanation that Romo 'gave up' a safety and it does look like he's telling the ref to stop it. OT - Pierre Paul was a one man wrecking crew last night

They explained it about 5 minutes after.

Hit caused him to go backward and fall. He never advanced the ball AFTER being hit. And since he finally came down in the end zone, it's a safety.

Think about it if it's a RB running, hits a lineman and falls 3-5 yards backwards then goes down. Ball is placed where he finally goes down since there was no forward progress after the hit.

In this case, 3-5 yards down happened to be in the end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They explained it about 5 minutes after.

Hit caused him to go backward and fall. He never advanced the ball AFTER being hit. And since he finally came down in the end zone, it's a safety.

Think about it if it's a RB running, hits a lineman and falls 3-5 yards backwards then goes down. Ball is placed where he finally goes down since there was no forward progress after the hit.

In this case, 3-5 yards down happened to be in the end zone.
    I missed the explanation on TV, probably doing something else at the time.

So I think what you're saying is that there's a difference between being hit and falling back and being pushed/carried back. The difference being that forward progress is granted on the latter, but not on the former? I didn't realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    I missed the explanation on TV, probably doing something else at the time.

So I think what you're saying is that there's a difference between being hit and falling back and being pushed/carried back. The difference being that forward progress is granted on the latter, but not on the former? I didn't realize that.
    Neither did I but that was their explanation to it. If you're touched and that touching (hitting, carried, pushed, etc) causes all forward progress to stop AND you go down, the ball is down where the player is down. Since that occurred in the end zone meant two points.

Made sense to me when I heard it. Remove the end zone from the equation and it's a busted running play for a loss.

Blog Entries

I still say the fact that he looked at the ref and 'gave up' right before they blew it dead was probably the main reason

Every time I watched it, it looked like it should have been down at the 3.

Maybe the fumble changed the spot of the down.

It made sense to me since Romo was not down yet and the whistle had not blown. Romo had an opportunity to regain his balance and keep running. But he couldn't so he's down where his knee hit which was the endzone.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRock View Post
    It made sense to me since Romo was not down yet and the whistle had not blown. Romo had an opportunity to regain his balance and keep running. But he couldn't so he's down where his knee hit which was the endzone.
    Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    If the defender touches him in any way whatsoever and causes him to fall, the play is marked where he goes down. In this case it was the endzone.

He could stumble and bumble 10 yards backwards it doesn't matter.
    That seems inconsistent with the forward progress rule. I've seen billions of times when the player didn't go down until he was pushed back 5-10 yards, and the ball is usually marked where the initial contact took place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenusMaximus View Post
    That seems inconsistent with the forward progress rule. I've seen billions of times when the player didn't go down until he was pushed back 5-10 yards, and the ball is usually marked where the initial contact took place.
    Does the forward progress rule apply to a passer? We've all seen quarterbacks run around and eventually take a sack. The ball is spotted at the spot of the sack and not their furthest forward progress. I'm not sure that it would apply until he turns into a runner by going past the line of scrimmage and can no longer throw the ball.