Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rules Question

Blog Entries

Re: Rules Question

Quote Originally Posted by RavenusMaximus View Post
    That seems inconsistent with the forward progress rule. I've seen billions of times when the player didn't go down until he was pushed back 5-10 yards, and the ball is usually marked where the initial contact took place.
    Does the forward progress rule apply to a passer? We've all seen quarterbacks run around and eventually take a sack. The ball is spotted at the spot of the sack and not their furthest forward progress. I'm not sure that it would apply until he turns into a runner by going past the line of scrimmage and can no longer throw the ball.

Re: Rules Question

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Does the forward progress rule apply to a passer? We've all seen quarterbacks run around and eventually take a sack. The ball is spotted at the spot of the sack and not their furthest forward progress. I'm not sure that it would apply until he turns into a runner by going past the line of scrimmage and can no longer throw the ball.
    In those cases, the QB is usually in control as he is running around in the backfield. In this case, Romo appeared not to be. Even when a RB has the ball, if he gets hit at the LOS and by his own power, retreats and is tackled 5 yards deep, the play would be marked where he went down, but if he was hit at the LOS and fell backwards 5 yards, the balls would be placed back at the LOS.