Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Todd Haley gone - next up?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Raheem is 35 years old. He's still a work in progress. He was handed a gutted team. They wouldn't even let him keep Derrick Brooks who was as important to that franchise as Ray Lewis is to ours. The Bucs are a very young team which means the lack of a full offseason probably hurt them more than other teams.

I know there is dissent and criticism but it's not like they are going to go out and hire the big name coach. They're going to look for another rookie head coach or someone off the scrap heap willing to coach for the cheapest contract in the NFL. Is that really a much better option than giving Raheem 1 more season to show that last year was not a fluke? If he can't do it next year then I would get rid of him. He'll have had a full training camp and offseason program at that point to right the ship. Just hoping to get lucky with the next unknown coach doesn't sound like a great plan to me.
    I agree that he'll get another year but I personally think he's a fraud. Time will tell.

Blog Entries

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have had issues showing up on the road. I do not mean being competitive. I mean showing up. This is common for young football teams who lack the proper veteran leadership. I agree with GOTA that Morris should be given, at least, one season to fix the issues.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    I agree that he'll get another year but I personally think he's a fraud. Time will tell.
    It's interesting how we perceive coaches on teams we have no rooting interest in. I like Raheem Morris. He has that same maverick way about him that Rex Ryan seems to have. Same with Jim Schwartz who also has some work to do in the discipline department.

Jason Garrett and Jim Caldwell, who I know you don't like either, I would consider to be frauds. I see no innovation and nothing that stands out from a million other boring coaches who all seem to have read the same book on how to do the job.

Growing up I was a huge Bill Parcells fan. To me every coach should either model themselves on Parcells, Gibbs or Walsh. Those 3 guys who all competed against each other set the standard in what now has to be the golden age of coaching. Now days they all seem to want to be Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren.

Rex, Morris and Schwartz aren't there yet but I think all 3 are on the right track towards some real innovative and different ways to win. You're right though that time will tell.

Blog Entries

It's been several weeks and time seems to be telling us that you are more right about this than I am. Raheem's defense is non-existent and the bitching by the players doesn't ever seem to stop. I like Raheem but the results just aren't there. Whatever he's doing isn't working. It's too bad because the Bucs are in danger of turning into the Browns with constant change and just throwing darts in hope that one will stick. Glad that's not my team.

Blog Entries

For the Bucs it's not just losing all of those consecutive games; they weren't even competitive. That's when you hear the inevitable "he's lost the team".

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's been several weeks and time seems to be telling us that you are more right about this than I am. Raheem's defense is non-existent and the bitching by the players doesn't ever seem to stop. I like Raheem but the results just aren't there. Whatever he's doing isn't working. It's too bad because the Bucs are in danger of turning into the Browns with constant change and just throwing darts in hope that one will stick. Glad that's not my team.
    The reason that I called him a fraud is that he's gone from being the players buddy to being like Randy 'Rangoon' Edsall and back. No one is going to respect you if you aren't consistent.

He's mentor by all reports is Mike Tomlin but while Mike is respectful of his players, it is clear that he is the coach and they are the players. In addition much like Josh McDaniels, he's just too immature to handle such a high pressure position long term.

He should though get another chance but he needs a few vets and some experienced coaches to support him better.

Blog Entries

The reason that I called him a fraud is that he's gone from being the players buddy to being like Randy 'Rangoon' Edsall and back. No one is going to respect you if you aren't consistent.

He's mentor by all reports is Mike Tomlin but while Mike is respectful of his players, it is clear that he is the coach and they are the players. In addition much like Josh McDaniels, he's just too immature to handle such a high pressure position long term.

He should though get another chance but he needs a few vets and some experienced coaches to support him better.
    He might have a tough job getting a DC job next season. It's his defense that really sucked. It reminds me of what happened with Mike Tice.

If he was smart he would do what ever it takes to coach for the Steelers. LeBeau won't be around forever. What better place for Raheem to learn about how Tomlin does than working for Tomlin? That's what I would do if I was him.

have to think Shanahan stays. they will make huge effort to get a qb (Peyton?).
    I'm sure Gailey and Garret get another year.
    can't imagine Norv staying (he's coming here to be OC, right!?)
    Caldwell may have saved his job...only to be fired next year. Morris, probly the same, tho I think it's 50/50 he goes. that 10-win season last year rose the expectations.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)