Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Passing numbers way up compared to previous years

Normally early in the season, defense has the upper hand as teams look to gel, shake off the rust, get on the same page, etc etc. Not this year. I saw the numbers posted on a Steeler board, and they are pretty amazing.

Week 1 of the 2011 season saw 14 (!) quarterbacks throw for over 300 yards. Three of those went over 400 yards (including a rookie), and one (Brady) threw for 500 yards. That's almost half the league going over 300.

By comparison, here are the stats from the previous 9 seasons:

2011 had 14 300 yard passes, 3 of those over 400, 1 of those over 500
    2010 had 3 300 yard passers, 1 of those over 400
    2009 had 6 300 yard passers
    2008 had 4 300 yard passers
    2007 had 4 300 yard passers
    2006 had 3 300 yard passers
    2005 had 2 300 yard passers
    2004 had 4 300 yard passers
    2003 had 2 300 yard passers
    2002 had 4 300 yard passers

What do you make of this? Does the lockout play a hand? Just a crazy weekend? Or has Goodell's rule changes and emphasis on protecting QBs and WRs finally made an impact?

Blog Entries

Re: Passing numbers way up compared to previous years

The league is moving towards a pass-first league, but I think it's more of a product of there not being a lot of great backs anymore. I also think that it is more of an anomally than anything.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Passing numbers have gotten into the stupid category. I've a lot of talk about how bad Mark Sanchez looked. He completed 59% of his passes for 335 yards with 2 TDs and an 1 interception. In the past fans would have drooled over those numbers.

On the flip side there were just 7 100 yard rushers. Only 4 of those had more than 20 carries. Only 8 players even had 20 or more carries.

Welcome to the Arena Football League...

By the way just how bad is Donovan McNabb if he can't even break 50 yards passing given all this?

Blog Entries

Another thing is the no huddle / muddle huddle. More teams are just going to the line and getting in position; forcing the D to do the same. Then they make the play call or adjustment but the D really has to get in position.

The huddle is going the way of the dinasour, especially for veteran offenses

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Just saw an article in USA Today (featuring pic of Suggs after a big sack last Sunday). There were also more sacks (89) in the first NFL week than ever in history.

two sided coin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Just saw an article in USA Today (featuring pic of Suggs after a big sack last Sunday). There were also more sacks (89) in the first NFL week than ever in history.

two sided coin
    If anything that tells you something about sacks. Because teams are able to convert long yardage through the air the sack is starting to mean less. Does Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees care that they it's now 3rd and 15 instead of 3rd and 7? It sure doesn't seem that way. In the past the sack was pass defense. Now it's turning into a loss of down penalty.

Yeah, I'm thinking Week 1 wasn't a fluke.

8 more 300+ yard passers in Week 2. Two of those over 400 yards. And this is with four QBs left to play this week.

Newton: 432
    Brady: 423
    Rivers: 378
    Hasselbeck: 358
    Romo: 345
    Dalton: 332
    Cambell: 323
    Rodgers: 308

And I won't include them, but you could throw in Roethlisberger and Stafford, who had 298 and 294 yards respectively, to make it an even 10.

Newton is at 854 yards for the season. The record for most rookie passing yards in a season is 3,739, set by Manning. Netwon only needs to average 206 ypg to break that. He's not going to throw for 400 a week all year, but 200 isn't that high of a bar. I'd say that record is very much in reach.

Brady has already thrown for 940 yards, and it's only Week 2. Brady only needs to average 296 ypg the rest of the year to break Marino's record. That's very doable with the Patriots offense.

Bold Prediction: Marino's record of 5,084 passing yards in a single season gets broken this year. By more than one QB.

11 more over 300 in Week 3, with Rodgers just missing the cut at 297. At least no one went over 400 (highest was Flacco with 389).

Week 1: 8,419 combined passing yards (NFL Record)
    Week 2: 8,418 combined passing yards
    Week 3: 8,233 combined passing yards

(Numbers from ESPN. Other reports show different numbers, but they're figuring in sack yardage. They're NFL records either way.)

Five quarterbacks are currently on pace to shatter Marino's single-season record of 5,084 yards. Matthew Stafford (5,211), Phillip Rivers (5,221), Cam Newton (5,397), Drew Brees (5,648), and Tom Brady (7,077). I still believe at least two players will break this record this year.

Currently Brady has the best shot. His 1,327 yards in the first three games is an NFL record. He needs to average 289 yards the rest of the season to break the single-season record.

Newton is at 1,012 yards through three games. He needs to average 209 the rest of the way to break Manning's rookie record of 3,739 (which is much more realistic than him coming close to Marino's record).

Of course with more passing, comes more points. So far 2,123 points have been scored through 3 weeks (44 points per contest, and 22 points per team per game). All NFL records.

Blog Entries

It's almost tough for me to watch the top college games anymore. I mean the best team in the country (bama) uses a model of great D, running game, and pedestrian QB.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If anything that tells you something about sacks. Because teams are able to convert long yardage through the air the sack is starting to mean less. Does Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees care that they it's now 3rd and 15 instead of 3rd and 7? It sure doesn't seem that way. In the past the sack was pass defense. Now it's turning into a loss of down penalty.
    Gota,

Good to see you. Looks like Sunspot made the decision for me.

You are right on some of that. One of the things for me why passing yards are up and sacks are up is because of the nature of those units. How many broken pass plays have we seen so far this year like Steve Smith against AZ. How many unblocked DE's have come free this year.

The off-season is where alot of that is worked on including communication and the secondary and OL are two areas that require a ton of communication and all the players being in sync. There was no off-season this year to work on that so you see lots of communications breakdowns that have led to big plays - either big passes or big sacks.

I'd guess as the season goes on, and the weather gets worse, teams will have shored up most of these issues.

After Week 2:

Bold Prediction: Marino's record of 5,084 passing yards in a single season gets broken this year. By more than one QB.
    Looking good. Top passers right now:

1. Brady - 4,897 yards - 187 yards from record (1 game left)
    2. Brees - 4,780 yards - 304 yards from record (2 games left)

Brady's going to have to play next week to clinch homefield, and it's hard to see him finishing under 200 yards passing.

Hell, I feel very confident that we'll see Brees break the record tonight. He hasn't had a sub-300 yard game since Week 9, and I doubt he struggles tonight against Atlanta. If he doesn't hit 304 tonight, he'll probably be extremely close, and would play next week to try to get a bye (not to mention the division).

I would call both a lock right now. What a crazy season.

That was a bold prediction, looks like you will be right. In fact, it was so bold I give you props even if one of them doesn't do it, close enough. :)