The Good, Bad, Ugly & The Megan Fox: Ravens v. Colts

The Baltimore Ravens v. the team formerly known as the Baltimore Colts. Just the mention of the game in years past was enough to raise the collective blood pressure of Baltimore area fans. Mix in the Colts 8 game winning streak against the Ravens and you might expect a pretty tense atmosphere at M&T Bank Stadium.

Not yesterday, not the entire week leading into the game. No one was worried and with good reason.

The 2011 Colts stink!

It is mind boggling how much a difference one player makes to a franchise but let’s be honest here, the Colts are a team in decline even with Peyton Manning behind center.

This game wasn’t as close as the score and the Ravens for most of the second half were in cruise control. It seemed a bit like the varsity taking it easy on the JV team.

THE GOOD: Ray Rice was elusive and decisive. He showed great vision on his 6 yard TD scamper in the second quarter and he was patient and explosive when needed when executing screen passes and while positioning himself for Flacco checkdowns…Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith continue their purposeful downfield blocking…Except for a couple of breakdowns during which he predetermined where he was going with the ball despite coverage (see: the interception by Joe Legefed and the dropped potential pick 6 by Antoine Bethea) Joe Flacco had a solid day that could have been even better if not for some effective (albeit illegal) arm barring on Torrey Smith. Flacco used cadence to his advantage. Let’s hope that is a sign of things to come. Flacco was also effective extending plays and ad libbing…Lee Evans sideline grab was a thing of beauty.

Cory Redding is playing near Pro Bowl level. Let’s not forget that Redding was once the Lions’ franchise player. He has been miscast for years and is now finding his place with the Ravens. His day included 3 tackles for a loss, a sack and a QB hurry…Jameel McClain had arguably his best overall game as a Raven leading the team with 8 tackles, 1 for a loss and he was much better when dropping into coverage…Bernard Pollard had his first interception as a Raven but perhaps even more impressive than snaring a Dan Orlovsky overthrow was his coverage throughout the game. Granted Orlovsky won’t be confused with Philip Rivers but Pollard’s 3 passes defended cannot be overlooked…Terrence Cody was stout at the point of attack…Sam Koch tilted the field in the Ravens favor averaging a net of 45.7 yards on his 3 punts…The Ravens were on pace to set a franchise record for fewest yards allowed with 91 surrendered with 2:18 remaining until the Colts' final drive of 76 yards…Lardarius Webb and the punt return team seem to be developing a little rhythm now. That couldn’t come at a better time.

For the Bad, Ugly & The Megan Fox click HERE

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: The Good, Bad, Ugly & The Megan Fox: Ravens v. Colts

Good stuff. After the opening drive, I pretty much laid back, relaxed, and knew that the Ravens were going to stuff the Colts. Kinda knew that beforehand, but I'm always nervous until I see both teams have a possession.

It really did look like you said, a varsity team playing around with a jv team. One of the NFL Today guys called it a "scrimage" for the Ravens. The Colts are really, really bad. If the ball would have bounced a little more in the Ravens way, like getting the PI call at the end of the first half, or recovering even one of the four fumbles of the day, the Ravens could have put up 40+ on them without even trying.

Tough reading any of Tony's post with that photo at the bottom of his post. REEEEEOOOOOWW!

That was one odd game to attend yesterday. The crowd didn't waste any energy getting amped up for the game at all. We basically sat there watching and chatting about how the Colts kept playing the same basic defense all day. It was more than predictable that their only big defensive plays were Freeney sacks or Joe throwing a dumb INT (two, but Bethea gave us rain check on the first one).

I usually go to work on Monday morning after home games with little or no voice left. Not today. Doesn't even feel like I went yesterday.

Blog Entries

that was a great first half - awesome. they slowed down in the 2nd but overall a game that was a complete domination, way more than the score would indicate.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    the Colts are a team in decline even with Peyton Manning behind center.
    :word

It's remarkable how little this observation is made outside of Baltimore.

Being the schadenfreude-loving person that I am, it bums me out that Manning is injured because I would have loved to see him lead that lousy team to a 5-11 season and look all furrowed and whiny All. Season. Long. Oh, what might have been. :happyanim

If you read king and banks column today, you'll notice that they didn't mention the colts losing to the Ravens. King mentions Suggs and Harbaugh. Ravens will take no hostages from here on out. I like how the coaches and team handle their business in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    The Baltimore Ravens v. the team formerly known as the Baltimore Colts. Just the mention of the game in years past was enough to raise the collective blood pressure of Baltimore area fans. Mix in the Colts 8 game winning streak against the Ravens and you might expect a pretty tense atmosphere at M&T Bank Stadium.

Not yesterday, not the entire week leading into the game. No one was worried and with good reason.

The 2011 Colts stink!

It is mind boggling how much a difference one player makes to a franchise but let’s be honest here, the Colts are a team in decline even with Peyton Manning behind center.

This game wasn’t as close as the score and the Ravens for most of the second half were in cruise control. It seemed a bit like the varsity taking it easy on the JV team.

THE GOOD: Ray Rice was elusive and decisive. He showed great vision on his 6 yard TD scamper in the second quarter and he was patient and explosive when needed when executing screen passes and while positioning himself for Flacco checkdowns…Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith continue their purposeful downfield blocking…Except for a couple of breakdowns during which he predetermined where he was going with the ball despite coverage (see: the interception by Joe Legefed and the dropped potential pick 6 by Antoine Bethea) Joe Flacco had a solid day that could have been even better if not for some effective (albeit illegal) arm barring on Torrey Smith. Flacco used cadence to his advantage. Let’s hope that is a sign of things to come. Flacco was also effective extending plays and ad libbing…Lee Evans sideline grab was a thing of beauty.

Cory Redding is playing near Pro Bowl level. Let’s not forget that Redding was once the Lions’ franchise player. He has been miscast for years and is now finding his place with the Ravens. His day included 3 tackles for a loss, a sack and a QB hurry…Jameel McClain had arguably his best overall game as a Raven leading the team with 8 tackles, 1 for a loss and he was much better when dropping into coverage…Bernard Pollard had his first interception as a Raven but perhaps even more impressive than snaring a Dan Orlovsky overthrow was his coverage throughout the game. Granted Orlovsky won’t be confused with Philip Rivers but Pollard’s 3 passes defended cannot be overlooked…Terrence Cody was stout at the point of attack…Sam Koch tilted the field in the Ravens favor averaging a net of 45.7 yards on his 3 punts…The Ravens were on pace to set a franchise record for fewest yards allowed with 91 surrendered with 2:18 remaining until the Colts' final drive of 76 yards…Lardarius Webb and the punt return team seem to be developing a little rhythm now. That couldn’t come at a better time.

For the Bad, Ugly & The Megan Fox click HERE

I see the good. Where's the bad?.... and they sho' 'nuff ain't no ugly here!

Oh, I forgot to read