Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: James Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Ray Lewis said the same thing. He stated:

Yeah, I heard from the league and like I said they fined me whatever they was going to fine me,” Lewis said. “The thing is you definitely respect them trying to protect player safety. At the same time, it won’t change not one way I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can’t stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play. When the receiver has the ball, your job is to disengage him from the ball."

But that is different, right? I really don't care if he, or any other player changes the way the play. I think the new rules stink for Lewis, for Harrison, or any other player making a tackle.
    The new rule stinks for not wanting NFL players to have brain damage after their careers are over? Or wanting them to die young from suicide or dementia?

Football is plenty violent and exciting without helmet to helmet hits.

AND Ray and Harrison did not say the same thing.

They both said they would continue to play the way they always have.

Ray understands the purpose of the rule, and doesn't have a track record of helmet to helmet hits. He wants to disengage the ball from the player. That can be done with body shots.

Harrison has PUBLICLY said he enjoys "hurting but not injuring" players:

Form the Cribs hit:

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told The Associated Press that the league could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits. The NFL is emphasizing a reduction in football concussions, which can lead to dementia and brain disease.

The crown of Harrison's helmet slammed into the left side of Cribbs' helmet as the receiver was running a Wildcat formation play, causing Cribbs to crumple face-first into the turf. He appeared to be momentarily knocked out. Because Cribbs was a runner, such helmet-to-helmet contact is permissible.

"I thought Cribbs was asleep," Harrison said. "A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he's just sleeping. He's knocked out but he's going to be OK."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699976

Harrison is not smart. Not smart at all.

Ray Lewis said the same thing. He stated:

Yeah, I heard from the league and like I said they fined me whatever they was going to fine me,” Lewis said. “The thing is you definitely respect them trying to protect player safety. At the same time, it won’t change not one way I play this week no matter what the fine is. You can’t stop playing defense the way defense has always been created to play. When the receiver has the ball, your job is to disengage him from the ball."

But that is different, right? I really don't care if he, or any other player changes the way the play. I think the new rules stink for Lewis, for Harrison, or any other player making a tackle.
    Nice job taking what Ray said WAY out of context to suit your argument.

Ray goes on to say:

You never want to hurt nobody. I’ve been in this business too long. I just think once you start getting into these fines I don’t know how they come up with the numbers most of the time
    That's a far cry from a stubborn Harrison who is outright refusing to change his way. At least Ray is acknowledging the silliness of the rules and a desire to seek clarity. Harrison has simply thrown his hands up in the air, refusing to change his game.

Now you know clearly why we ask people to back up quotes. It's not to help us. It's to give YOU credibility.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 12-16-2011 at 11:24 AM.

"We ask for quotes." I believe I have been the only one asked to provide those.

Not a far cry. In fact, it precisely proves my point. Harrison has been accused of not wanting to change the way he plays. Well, according to Lewis, who also has multiple fines, he won't either. Where did Ray acknowledge the "silliness" of the rules? I think he said he "understands them."

And what is wrong with wanting to hurt the other team? That is different than an injury. If I were playing football, in any league, even peewee, I would want to hurt the other. I tackle, he gets up and knows I just laid him out. I don't want him on my side of the field, I want to scare him to the other side. Nothing wrong with a guy saying he is gonna hurt somebody in a contest that requires tackling.

Anyway, predictably, another Steeler story after I post a Raven story after someone posts a Steeler story. I guess it is my turn.

That proves my point, no matter what team players are for, there are players just like them on your team, on their team, and on my team. I am not arguing the fine on Harrison, or even his suspension, or even that he is a dirty player or not. That is the argument others here are making. I am just pointing out what I have been saying all along; a team is a team is a team. Who knows, next year Lewis might get suspended. Or Suggs, who knows? Will they deserve it? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Nice job taking what Ray said WAY out of context to suit your argument.

Ray goes on to say:

That's a far cry from a stubborn Harrison who is outright refusing to change his way. At least Ray is acknowledging the silliness of the rules and a desire to seek clarity. Harrison has simply thrown his hands up in the air, refusing to change his game.

Now you know clearly why we ask people to back up quotes. It's not to help us. It's to give YOU credibility.

That proves my point, no matter what team players are for, there are players just like them on your team, on their team, and on my team. I am not arguing the fine on Harrison, or even his suspension, or even that he is a dirty player or not. That is the argument others here are making. I am just pointing out what I have been saying all along; a team is a team is a team. Who knows, next year Lewis might get suspended. Or Suggs, who knows? Will they deserve it? Probably not.
    Suggs and Lewis are not Harrison. Harrison got himself into this jackpot all by himself, by refusing to change his behavior and by playing dirty repeatedly.

All teams do not have Harrison, no matter how many times you say it. There is only one guy who has been fined so many times for headhunting that now he's been suspended, and he wears the yellow and black.

And for what it's worth, in your shoes I'd be pissed at him for jeporadizing the team with his recidivism. He's hurting your team with these shenanigans, and instead of seeing a (comically absent) conspiracy against the Steelers, you should instead be hoping against hope that he changes his ways before he gets a three game suspension next time.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Re: James Harrison suspended (merged discussions)

The hit that Lewis got fined for was not a play where he led with the crown of his helmet. James Harrison has been fined, several times, for leading with the crown of his helmet.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Ultimately I'm not sure how much the suspension will matter.

If the Ravens win in SD on Sunday I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers essentially conceded the division and began resting banged up starters for the playoffs.

If the Ravens lose, then it's a different story, but at some point the Steelers are going to have to decide whether to knock themselves out going for the division (and quite possibly getting a WC anyway) or to begin resting starters and getting ready and healthy for the first round of the playoffs.

Blog Entries

I do not expect the Steelers to concede the division, because they understand how important the first round bye is. During both playoff years, where the Steelers knocked off the Ravens, they had a first round bye and were able to rest some players who really benefited from it. Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger and Lamar Woodley are three of the five most important players on the team. There is no guarantee that any of them would make it to a round 3 match-up with the Ravens, without a week of rest, even if they began resting near the end of this regular season.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore