Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: James Harrison

Don't think he gets suspended. King makes a decent point:

I've watched the replay maybe 10 times now. Colt McCoy leaves the pocket, runs to his left, tucks the ball under his right arm, and a step or step-and-a-half before making contact with Harrison, pulls the ball out and quickly flips it to Montario Hardesty. Harrison hits McCoy helmet-to-helmet right in McCoy's facemask, and McCoy falls to the turf. Harrison gets flagged for roughing the passer.

Here's where the debate comes in, and why I believe it will be hard for the NFL to suspend Harrison: If McCoy was viewed as a runner -- which he surely would be while having the ball tucked under his arm, with no intention of throwing it -- then once he is out of the pocket, he is treated like a running back, not a quarterback. And a runner can be hit helmet-to-helmet without penalty.

But if a quarterback leaves the pocket with the intention still to pass, he loses some protection from the rules of being in the pocket. He can be hit low, and the one-step rule about hitting a quarterback after the release of the ball goes away.

After the game, Harrison told reporters: "From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's considered a runner.''

Not exactly. If he leaves the pocket and looks to be intending to throw, he can't be hit helmet-to-helmet. If he leaves the pocket and appears to be a runner, he can be hit helmet-to-helmet.

It'll be a close call for discipline czars Ray Anderson and Merton Hanks to decide next week. And Harrison should have aimed lower anyway. But I don't know how they look at the replay and say McCoy isn't a runner when he has the ball tucked under his right arm. And is running.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...-14/index.html

Blog Entries
    I posted something similar earlier. McCoy had left the pocket and was a threat to run. He will get a fine for leading with the helmet but no suspension warranted

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If it were most players, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Given Harrison's history... I suspend and fine. I know for certain the NFL won't suspend him, because they're in a playoff chase and losing Harrison while also having a gimpy Woodley would be a significant loss.

Now that I think about it, he's definitely getting suspended. I'm sure Goddell has an axe to grind over Harrison's comments over the summer during the lockout. Goddell couldn't do anything at the time and now is his chance. I bet he's actually happy he has the opportunity now.

Blog Entries

He didn't have to hit him high, but chose to. He needs to be suspended. There is a history. He needs to stop leading with the crown of his freaking helmet, him and Ryan Clark, now that I have thought about it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Here's an ESPN article on the subject. It looks like we'll find out tomorrow.

I, for one, am very interested in the outcome. Not only does this influence the SF game, but I plan on taking the results of the decision as a barometer for how seriously the league takes its "player safety" mantra. Obviously fines have little effect on his behavior:
    • For all the numerous fines he received last year, far more than any other player, they amount to 3% of his salary.
    • Because of his notoriety, he was brought in for that infamous Men's Journal interview (maybe recoup the fines on that?)
    • He's establishing a hard-hitting reputation for a defense and a team that pays him as such

If he's not suspended, I'm not sure I can take the league's mission seriously.

I think he should be suspended, so he can possibly get the message. The play involving Harrison is a little tricky because McCoy looked to become a runner;but, Harrison made the decision to use the crown of his helmet. When you watch the replay, Harrison at the last second lowers his head and delivers the hit with the crown of his helmet.

Blog Entries
    To my knowledge they have never suspended a player due to an in game hit. He didn't throw a punch, kick, or taunt. I don't think the league will cross that line but if they do... Here we go

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    To my knowledge they have never suspended a player due to an in game hit. He didn't throw a punch, kick, or taunt. I don't think the league will cross that line but if they do... Here we go
    I think Rodney Harrison was suspended one game for a helmet-to-helmet hit; on Jerry Rice, if I recall correctly.

Everybody is screaming for a suspension and when analysts write about it . Thats the icing on the cake. The league has to send a message, fines are not working.
    When Ray goes to Canton, I'm going too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think Rodney Harrison was suspended one game for a helmet-to-helmet hit; on Jerry Rice, if I recall correctly.
    you're right, I looked it and it was in 2002. In that case they may be inclined to suspend him. he is certainly a repeat offender and doesn't seem to show any sign of changing his ways.

Personally I just hope suspensions are very few and far between.

He's gonna get a 1 game suspension, I can feel it.