Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Worst NFL defenses - Packers and Pats

I think the NFL has gone to far with its rule changes favoring the passing game when one of the two teams with the worst defenses in the NFL is undefeated, and the other shares the best record in their conference.

Do you think the NFL will ever moderate its changes to make the game more fair towards the defense or are we forever stuck watching pinball offenses, QBs protected like fine china, and the recent rule changes against hitting "defenseless" receivers?
    Last edited by ed from Bel Air; 12-08-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: Worst NFL defenses - Packers and Pats

The latter. And it's only going to get worse. They've already got the fans of violence hooked--time to expand the pool of suckers, um, viewing audience to them as want the game to be pretty.

Blog Entries

The NFL keeps setting ratings records. Why wouldn't they continue in the super offense direction? That's what casual fans want and that's who the league caters to.

Chicks dig the long ball. (Tom Glavine & Gregg Maddux promoting MLB's offensive explosion in the late 90s.)

Blog Entries

That's why I think the Ravens need to open it up a bit, yes even against teams like the lowly Browns or Indy. I know they can run it 90% of the time and still win, but it doesn't help the development of the passing game that they need later in the year.

I hope they stretch the field a bit on Indy but I'll take a win any way they get it. Just my $.02

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The NFL keeps setting ratings records. Why wouldn't they continue in the super offense direction? That's what casual fans want and that's who the league caters to.
    Yea this is obvious. People love offense in sports. People love dunks more than they love block shoots. They want to see high scoring games in the NFL and they want qb's to be the face off the leauge. So what if the NFL is turning into the WWE, money is coming in to fast to count it.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately its not going to change. players safety as well as the ever growing popularity suggests if anything more rules will be implied and eventually theyll be playing flag football, until nobody watches and thats when theyll start back the other direction.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Unfortunately its not going to change. players safety as well as the ever growing popularity suggests if anything more rules will be implied and eventually theyll be playing flag football, until nobody watches and thats when theyll start back the other direction.
    It really is going to take no one watching before they even consider going the other way.

Blog Entries

I'd rather see a defensive battle than a high scoring game. Some of my favorite games have been low-scoring. Titans playoff game in 08 is up there. The game against San Fran is too.

43-35 isn't football to me, do they happen sometimes, sure, but they should not be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It really is going to take no one watching before they even consider going the other way.
    It is no where near flag football. Just check the injury lists. The 3-4 defense has been solved and teams are putting some great offensive talent on the field.

The biggest change impacts the defensive backs. On almost every pass play the commentator will say "No flag." PI seems to be called more than ever this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    On almost every pass play the commentator will say "No flag." PI seems to be called more than ever this year.
    I've noticed this as well. It's almost as though they expect a penalty call to be the rule rather than the exception.

Blog Entries

Yeah, but QB's are going to be getting killed at a higher rate. Pass rush will start being a premium, more now than ever. The owners are going to fall on their own swords.