Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screen plays

Re: Screen plays

Well, the one thing about screen passes is that they require good tight end blocking, and we just don't have that. Dickson is about as bad as it gets, Pitta is a bit better, but neither is probably even average.

2. Re: Screen plays

i hope cam is saving a lot of plays for the playoffs so teams will be caught off guard. he still running that damn reverse though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    You know what play was added last week that I've wanted to see in the offense for a while?

The misdirection fake run up the middle and quick pitch to the outside with no lineman blocking to the outside.
    Couldn't agree more!! Get Rice in motion (either left or right) and misdirection the opposite way. It also sets up play action as it will certainly freeze whoever has Rice and allow one of the WR's to clear out that side or get open on a 'go' route.

Blog Entries

Along the same lines, the play I wouldn't mind seeing broken out here and there? That pass play they used to run to Heap often, where they'd run everyone to the right side and then throw back to the left to a (usually) wide open Heap.

You know what play was added last week that I've wanted to see in the offense for a while?

The misdirection fake run up the middle and quick pitch to the outside with no lineman blocking to the outside.
    Yeah - pitch out to Ricky or Ray when they are already moving.
    That would set up the real inside hand-off pseudo-draw they've run at times.

I also liked the play action fakes that had Joe do a "Great Circle" roll out away from the fake run side and then pass or [Heaven forbid!] run to the sideline and/or sticks. I've always thought Joe (not a small man) should bust a couple runs a game not only for the yardage or first downs, but to help keep opposing pass rushing honest. I don't want to go Joe Tebow; I just think Joe can pick up a first down running once in a while and survive the wear and tear that might entail.

Back to the screen passes - a quick bubble screen is another way to get the ball into Torrey's, Evans', or LaQuan's hands.

I hate it when teams cheat in the run game by setting the outside edge too aggressively thereby abandoning their outside contain duty. That's the play that keeps them honest.

Yeah.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

That isolation fade route in the red zone, that they used to do with Heap, was another great play. The question is whether or not our tight ends are clutch enough to handle that play.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Editing...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    That isolation fade route in the red zone, that they used to do with Heap, was another great play. The question is whether or not our tight ends are tall enough to handle that play.
    Not saying it can't happen, it can still work, but I think this may be the critical factor right here.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Yeah - pitch out to Ricky or Ray when they are already moving.
    That would set up the real inside hand-off pseudo-draw they've run at times.

I also liked the play action fakes that had Joe do a "Great Circle" roll out away from the fake run side and then pass or [Heaven forbid!] run to the sideline and/or sticks. I've always thought Joe (not a small man) should bust a couple runs a game not only for the yardage or first downs, but to help keep opposing pass rushing honest. I don't want to go Joe Tebow; I just think Joe can pick up a first down running once in a while and survive the wear and tear that might entail.

Back to the screen passes - a quick bubble screen is another way to get the ball into Torrey's, Evans', or LaQuan's hands.
    Yes, agree. For some reason we've never been great at running the Patriot style bubble, in my opinion, where one receiver blocks for the other. I could never figure it out because Anquan is an excellent blocker and Joe has a strong arm that can get it there quickly. It requires good timing and fakes though. Maybe that's where we fall down on it. I dunno.

I forget which game it was this year but Cam put in a bubble screen that went to Boldin while he was running towards the formation along the line of scrimmage with none of the traditional extra blocking. It resulted in Boldin being one one one and it clicked the 2 or 3 times we ran it.

It's a good call for when his man is playing off. I wonder where that went? I think it was one of those plays they put in because they think it has a good chance of success given who they are playing. It seemed to have good chemistry to it and we need an effective bubble screen in our arsenal. Most teams run them because it's a cheap, easy way to pick up 5 yards or more if the D is set right.