Blog Entries

Thank You Jason Garrett for not Taking the Ravens Job

Anyone see Jason Garrett ice his own kicker and blow the game against the Cardinals on Sunday? We were so lucky that Garrett turned Bisciotti down. He's another robo-coach who seems to like staring at play cards more than coaching his team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...getting-worse/

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett botched his clock management at the end of his team’s loss to the Cardinals.

His decision not to take one of his two timeouts to try run a few plays and try to get closer for a field goal was hard to understand, but his total lack of an explanation a day later is even more befuddling.

Garrett was asked if Tony Romo was told to clock the ball instead of take a timeout when Dez Bryant made a catch with 26 seconds left.

“I don’t have a great answer for you on that,” Garrett said via Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Wait, what?

“Again, we’re just working through that situation to be honest with you. We’re talking timeout. He was getting them to the line of scrimmage and obviously when he got them to the line of scrimmage, the conversation we had going in was to clock the ball.”

But didn’t you have a plan or know what you were going to do before the play?

“He caught the ball on the 30-yard line,” Garrett tried to explain. “We kind of looked at each other and said, ‘Hey, he’s in field-goal range. Boom! What do we got here?’ Tony is getting to the line, which is what he’s taught to do – always be ready to get the team to the line of scrimmage.”

Garrett says he would have called a timeout at four seconds, but Romo clocked the ball at seven seconds. So basically Garrett risked having a penalty in the situation and seemed to have no communication with Romo. He also didn’t seem to have a plan for what they’d do if they had a catch at the 30-yard line.

It’s amazing Garrett didn’t have a better answer with 24 hours to think about it. Explain why it was a mistake in retrospect. Or explain the thought process behind the decision not to run a few plays.

Blog Entries

Re: Thank You Jason Garrett for not Taking the Ravens Job

"Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    Thanks. Didn't see you

That was the worst coaching at the end of a game as I have ever seen.

5. Re: Thank You Jason Garrett for not Taking the Ravens Job

Rather than take responsibility for the screw-up, Garrett basically sold out his team because apparently his position is that he was not confident in their ability to drive the ball closer with a minute left and two timeouts. What a bad coach.

Sounds like he would fit right in here. There have been several headscratching, end-of-game decisions here over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Sounds like he would fit right in here. There have been several headscratching, end-of-game decisions here over the last few years.
    Cant think of one that directly led to a lost, like Garrett's did.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Cant think of one that directly led to a lost, like Garrett's did.
    I can think of a couple, as long as I use your definition of 'directly led to' a loss, which seems to be a very liberal definition.

Garrett should have called a timeout as soon as the ball was caught, obviously, mainly because he had two timeouts. You have two, you call one after any catch and re-assess.

But running 1-2 more plays doesn't necessarily guarantee a win, nor does it even guarantee a closer FG attempt. You can take a sack, Romo could pull a Romo, or you could run for a loss of 2 yards.

As for the 'ice' timeout, the playclock was running down because they wasted so much time trying to figure out what to do, and Bailey had missed a previous FG due to rushing a kick due to a winding playclock. In addition, I don't think 'icing' does anything; in fact I would argue that giving the kicker a practice kick would be beneficial to the kicker. Bailey made his practice kick and missed the actual, in this case; it has happened the other way around many times (with attempted 'icings') And obviously, the game went into overtime, it didn't end with the failed kick.

All in all it was bad coaching down the stretch; and we see it all over the league, including here at times.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 12-10-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Just my opinion but Bailey has to make that kick. The coach is getting the heat but the kicker is equally at fault

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I can think of a couple, as long as I use your definition of 'directly led to' a loss, which seems to be a very liberal definition.
    Such as....?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369057,-76.761096
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Such as trying an onsides kick with over two minutes to go in a game, and two timeouts, down by only two points, playing a team whose offense was so bad (with their rookie QB) they had sniffed the endzone only once all night (on a penalty-fueled drive) before settling for one of their 3 FGs (other two were 54-yarders)

Or...Going for 4th and 2 (and failing) with 29 seconds left at the 31-yardline, down by 3 and with no timeouts vs trying a 48/49 yard FG to tie at home vs your archrival.

Those are just off the top of my head, I could dig and find other less egregious blunders for sure.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 12-10-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Just my opinion but Bailey has to make that kick. The coach is getting the heat but the kicker is equally at fault
    Says the guy who has never been under the pressure of an nfl kicker.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore