Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I know this was mentioned already but...

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    I'm not understanding your point.

Usually good teams get the primetime sunday/monday night games. Jacksonville is not. So why are they being rewarded when the game doesn't even sell out there?
    I see your point. However, I don't agree that being on MNF is a "reward". Rather, the NFL tries to schedule attractive games to garner high ratings; someone in the NFL hierarchy thought that Ravens-Jags would be the best choice for ratings that particular weekend. IIRC, it was the lowest rated MNF game in history, coming in behind a yawner World Series game and even a reality show.

Looking at it solely from our (Ravens fan) perspective: the Jaguars "reward", the inconvenience of MNF scheduling, and the poor TV ratings -- all combined -- had no effect on the outcome of the game: the worst performance by the Ravens this season.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Tonight's game, when it was scheduled, had everything to do with the Chargers and nothing to do with the Jags.

Nobody saw this collapse before the season started. MNF is no longer the crown jewel of prime time football so no need / desire to flex it.

It's that simple.

Blog Entries

It is a crime that MNF hasn't come to bmore since 2007. If it isn't a bias against bmore, how do you explain a franchise that has been to the playoffs 3 straight years not being rewarded with a Monday night game at home?

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    It is a crime that MNF hasn't come to bmore since 2007. If it isn't a bias against bmore, how do you explain a franchise that has been to the playoffs 3 straight years not being rewarded with a Monday night game at home?
    Playing on Monday night is a reward?

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    How the hell do the Jaguars get primetime home games as a losing franchise, yet we have to beg to not play primetime games on the road after going to the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 years?
    Corporate welfare.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Curious: what difference did it make? The Ravens did not have to endure a cross-country flight to play away on a Thursday night. Eight road games are scheduled annually -- whether our team plays at 1 pm, 4 pm, or 8 pm, the other team also has to play the same time. I don't see how the Jaguars gained any advantage by playing under the lights -- the way the Ravens played, the Jaguars would have won that game regardless of where and when it was played.

For the fans, going to Jacksonville to watch a night game was optional, so none of the "I couldn't get home until 2 am" complaints are allowed!

What am I missing?
    I don't think that game plays out the same way if its a 1pm game. Home teams tend to play better under the lights whether its the players being a little more pumped up or the crowd having that litle extra juice and being louder Home teams usually play better in primetime. look at the Chiefs and Steeler game last week. if that game is played at 4pm KC probably loses by at least 2 TD's

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    The NFL is desperate to promote that still-birth of a franchise because they have no choice. They ignored viable football towns like Baltimore to try and shove an expansion team into college football territory and if they don't do SOMETHING to drive fan interest and that team folds up and moves, the league, and former Chairman Tags in particular, will look incredibly foolish.
    :word It's been pathetic for to long now.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Jacksonville was 8-8 last year and has been a .500 team for the last 5-6 years on average.

Not fair to dump them in with the really bad teams...nobody expected them to cut Garrard right before the season and turning the team over to a scared, rookie QB. Hell, they had a ton of cap room, maybe they thought they would even spend some money in free agency and improve the team some.

It's not like they were the Browns or Rams or some other pathetic team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Playing on Monday night is a reward?

- C -
    Absolutely. The extra revenue for the local economy alone is a reward.better teams generally get the most primetime games and the ravens are no exception. Why haven't they had a mnf game at home since 2007? They have played mon night games in 2009-2011 yet none have been at home. What gives?

Blog Entries

Well, they won the first one.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Absolutely. The extra revenue for the local economy alone is a reward.better teams generally get the most primetime games and the ravens are no exception. Why haven't they had a mnf game at home since 2007? They have played mon night games in 2009-2011 yet none have been at home. What gives?
    Do you have any statistics that show playing on Monday night is an economic boost? Because that doesn't really make much sense. If anything, I would think it's worse since it's interrupting a work day during the week.

And better teams don't want prime time games...they're tougher on the team and the team's schedule prepping for next games.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Do you have any statistics that show playing on Monday night is an economic boost? Because that doesn't really make much sense. If anything, I would think it's worse since it's interrupting a work day during the week.

And better teams don't want prime time games...they're tougher on the team and the team's schedule prepping for next games.

- C -
    gets people in the area longer if nothing else. think of all the people that start tailgating early in the morning for primetime games.