Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ravens Secondary

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    jimmy smith has given up 2 td's since being given an expanded role for the bengals game. it is great that he is getting these bumps out of the way and it hasn't cost us any games. he will only be better for it once the playoffs start. webb has been the breakout performer of the group...def playing at pro bowl level.
    we don't know who gave up that TD just because smith was chasing the guy. It was a zone defense so Webb let him go which makes me think it was a safety that forgot to rotate over.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMoon View Post
    we don't know who gave up that TD just because smith was chasing the guy. It was a zone defense so Webb let him go which makes me think it was a safety that forgot to rotate over.
    looked like a communication issue. my immediate response was to blame it on the rookie, but you are right, it might not have been his fault.

3. Re: Ravens Secondary

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    jimmy smith has given up 2 td's since being given an expanded role for the bengals game. it is great that he is getting these bumps out of the way and it hasn't cost us any games. he will only be better for it once the playoffs start. webb has been the breakout performer of the group...def playing at pro bowl level.
    Lardarius said on the TD.. there was some miscommunication it was a high low concept, and there was a slight confusion on who was high and who was low.... I think maybe next year we need to do an Nnamdi type thing with Smith.. Just leave this guy a lone on a receiver.. Fuck zones... Nnamdi is struggling in Philly because they make him play zone, and he's learning it. I'm sure he'll master that D, but he has some growing pains.

Not sure if you remember this or not but in the preseason there was also a situation similar to that where they gave up a TD to Moss... They've gotta fix that. Learning how to be play a zone defense isn't rocket science, he'll learn it, but i'd love for him to just be a 1 on 1 type guy. Not a lot of Legit 6'2 210 with 4.46 speed with smooth hips like that laying around... With that type of Man to man coverage ability

When it comes to Man to Man.. this kid doesn't let you breath, and his off coverage seems to be just as good as his Press.. when you can do both like that, its such a great luxury.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

is chyckie brown someone to look forward to?

Webb is a beast. Even though he's the smallest he is the best tackler. Plus he returns punts really well.

In his career he has a kick returned for a TD, interception and punt returned for TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    He has not been the weak link, because the Ravens have not played many quality QBs. Otherwise, once Pollard is beyond fifteen yards from the line of scrimmage, he is far less effective.
    He is not bad at all in coverage for a strong safety. You have to evaluate him for the position he is playing. As a strong safety, his primary value is to destroy the run (routinely gets in the backfield) and check tight ends or sometimes running backs. He's been doing an excellent job of doing those things. He's also been a valuable blitzer for us.

So even if everything you say about his coverage beyond fifteen yards is true, that still does not necessarily make him the weak link in our secondary. He does too many other good things of value to this team.
    Last edited by acisking; 12-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Lardarius said on the TD.. there was some miscommunication it was a high low concept, and there was a slight confusion on who was high and who was low.... I think maybe next year we need to do an Nnamdi type thing with Smith.. Just leave this guy a lone on a receiver.. Fuck zones... Nnamdi is struggling in Philly because they make him play zone, and he's learning it. I'm sure he'll master that D, but he has some growing pains.

Not sure if you remember this or not but in the preseason there was also a situation similar to that where they gave up a TD to Moss... They've gotta fix that. Learning how to be play a zone defense isn't rocket science, he'll learn it, but i'd love for him to just be a 1 on 1 type guy. Not a lot of Legit 6'2 210 with 4.46 speed with smooth hips like that laying around... With that type of Man to man coverage ability

When it comes to Man to Man.. this kid doesn't let you breath, and his off coverage seems to be just as good as his Press.. when you can do both like that, its such a great luxury.
    I totally agree with this. Maybe it's a decent idea for him to learn some zone schemes since he's still a rookie and all, but Jimmy Smith was born to play man to man (with a good heaping of press coverage). We'd be wasting him in zones much as Philadelphia has wasted Nnamdi for the better part of this season.

8. Re: Ravens Secondary

This has to be said though, the Pass Rush looks like it did to start the season that definitely helps a secondary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acisking View Post
    He is not bad at all in coverage for a strong safety. You have to evaluate him for the position he is playing, as a strong safety, his primary value is to destroy the run (routinely gets in the backfield) and check tight ends or sometimes running backs. He's been doing an excellent job of doing both those things. He's also been a valuable blitzer for us.

So even if everything you say about his coverage beyond fifteen yards is true, that still does not necessarily make him the weak link in our secondary. He does too many other good things of value to this team.
    You are right. I have been spoiled by Ed Reed, and how well he played in coverage as a SS.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    We all agree that Cary is gone next season, just makes more sense for the team, because he will get his money..
    Sorry, but who's "we"?

Williams is a RFA next year. He's likely to get the 2nd round tender. I highly doubt he's going anywhere.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

11. Re: Ravens Secondary

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Sorry, but who's "we"?

Williams is a RFA next year. He's likely to get the 2nd round tender. I highly doubt he's going anywhere.
    I read somewhere that he was an UFA..

Wow cool. The more solid Corners the better. Not exactly convinced someone wont give up a 3rd or 2nd round pick for him though.

12. Re: Ravens Secondary

“Honestly, that interception is 100 percent film study,” Smith said.

“I know they like that deep out. I read the quarterback’s eyes, and he was waiting for his dude to break so I broke before him and the ball was right there.”
    Very nice to hear from a young guy.