Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: New black quarterbacks club

The thing is, I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to make a black QB's groups.

Problem is, it just seems to recognize implicitly a difference between black and white QBs.

Obviously, they are different in skin color. But making the new groups seems to recognize the stereotypes that black QBs are more mobile but less acurate, etc etc can't really be pocket passers, etc

It'd be better just to associate with one another and show solidarity w/o a group, and let their level of play on the field speak for itself

Problem is, it just seems to recognize implicitly a difference between black and white QBs.
    Of coarse there isn't a difference but

The following statement from the article concerned me the most

Historically, there has been a disproportionate number of African-American players in quarterback positions. Many believe that they are converted to other positions at an early age, which typically defines their path.
    I think this is an accurate statement. And it could be for a number of reasons as to why younger Black QBs don't get the opportunity. The first thing I think of is financial. A lot of money could go into to grooming a young QB a group like this can help curb that expense. Second this organization can help provide proper coaching or role models to push them as they advance.

The BQC could provided assistance for the player who may need the help.

The BQC is designed to encourage future athletic leaders by offering programs that strengthen young athletes both physically and mentally.
    I don't think this is any different than a PAL, YMCA or boys and girls club type of effort. To me it seems like they are just trying to ensure that the playing paths are not altered because of something stupid like the coach playing his kid at the position over the better player.

I have absolutely no problems with this organization and its goals.
    Last edited by crazyraven; 06-20-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Why does everyone think there's something wrong with people of the same skin color wanting to form an exclusive club?

The travesty is that, as someone mentioned earlier, this would be taboo if it were whites forming a white-only club, but for any other race such a club is "empowerment".

More importantly, ANY private/exclusive club should be able to discriminate on the basis of ANYTHING. That's FREEDOM. Want a club where every member has to be black? Fine. White? Fine. Jewish? Fine. Catholic? Fine. Taller than 6'? Fine. Named Jimbo? Fine. Racist? Fine. Beautiful? Fine. Ugly? Fine. You get my point.

When the government does it, then there's a problem. If you're a citizen and your money is being stolen to fund our bloated bureaucracy, then you have the right to equal participation in it, whether through voting, seeking employment, earning benefits, protection under the laws, whatever. But it's absolutely idiotic that our legal system can be subverted so that people can sue for membership in private organizations that would otherwise exclude them. Freedom includes the right to associate with whoever you want, not to have an association forced upon you on the basis of diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    We are never going to progress in this society until we stop having groups that segregate based on race whether it is black or white. Nothing good can come out of this group.
    Sadly, I agree with this. To me, sports brings people of all colors together, I always mesh with people when I'm at sporting events, moreso than any other event. No now have this club, it's segregating folks all over again, when it's not the least bit necessary. No one cares what you are, as long as you're a winner, that's the most important thing
    Waiting for the next one!!!

I have no problem with this club. I do not understand the name however. One look at all the QB’s on their website and only McNair looks close to being black. All the others are brownish in hue. If you want to start a fan club for oppressed minorities I go with the Chosen People. The Jews have been oppressed for thousands of years. Who in the NFL would officially be able to join that one? I guess only Sage Rosenfels and Jay Fiedler. Of course, Anita Marks could discuss how to convert.

Quote Originally Posted by ravcol View Post
    I have no problem with this club. I do not understand the name however. One look at all the QB’s on their website and only McNair looks close to being black. All the others are brownish in hue. If you want to start a fan club for oppressed minorities I go with the Chosen People. The Jews have been oppressed for thousands of years. Who in the NFL would officially be able to join that one? I guess only Sage Rosenfels and Jay Fiedler. Of course, Anita Marks could discuss how to convert.
    Sid Luckman, amongst others, did pretty well in his day.

http://www.ajhs.org/publications/cha...documentID=301
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Why does everyone think there's something wrong with people of the same skin color wanting to form an exclusive club?

The travesty is that, as someone mentioned earlier, this would be taboo if it were whites forming a white-only club, but for any other race such a club is "empowerment".

More importantly, ANY private/exclusive club should be able to discriminate on the basis of ANYTHING. That's FREEDOM. Want a club where every member has to be black? Fine. White? Fine. Jewish? Fine. Catholic? Fine. Taller than 6'? Fine. Named Jimbo? Fine. Racist? Fine. Beautiful? Fine. Ugly? Fine. You get my point.

When the government does it, then there's a problem. If you're a citizen and your money is being stolen to fund our bloated bureaucracy, then you have the right to equal participation in it, whether through voting, seeking employment, earning benefits, protection under the laws, whatever. But it's absolutely idiotic that our legal system can be subverted so that people can sue for membership in private organizations that would otherwise exclude them. Freedom includes the right to associate with whoever you want, not to have an association forced upon you on the basis of diversity.
    100% correct. If We, the great American People had not created the divide, there would not even be a hint of a problem. If, however, we continue to improve the situation, that is, become a nation without bias, or racism, it will then not be a problem, either!. After all, there are still Neandertals who think women should not be allowed to vote, or work in the workforce. So there are , and will, until these troglodytes are gone, and are not teaching bigotry to their offspring, be advocacy groups and people who seek to "right the wrongs" of discrimination!

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    The thing is, I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to make a black QB's groups.

Obviously, they are different in skin color. But making the new groups seems to recognize the stereotypes that black QBs are more mobile but less acurate, etc etc can't really be pocket passers, etc

It'd be better just to associate with one another and show solidarity w/o a group, and let their level of play on the field speak for itself
    This is a fact...well said...proven through time
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

"Want a club where every member has to be black? Fine. White? Fine. Jewish? Fine. Catholic? Fine. Taller than 6'? Fine. Named Jimbo? Fine. Racist? Fine. Beautiful? Fine. Ugly? Fine."

I think I will form a hard drinking, smoking, not stick thin, cussin', over fifty, you don't like my attitude kiss my ass club. Anyone with me :D
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

Quote Originally Posted by ladyraven127 View Post
    "Want a club where every member has to be black? Fine. White? Fine. Jewish? Fine. Catholic? Fine. Taller than 6'? Fine. Named Jimbo? Fine. Racist? Fine. Beautiful? Fine. Ugly? Fine."

I think I will form a hard drinking, smoking, not stick thin, cussin', over fifty, you don't like my attitude kiss my ass club. Anyone with me :D

Darn...I don't smkoke and I am quite a few years away from fifty

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Why shouldn't I be tolerant of the United Negro College Fund, Black Entertainment Television, or Miss Black America?

White students are overwhelmingly represented at colleges, white characters are overwhelmingly represented on tv, and white contestants are (forgive me guessing here, haven't seen many) well represented in beauty pageants. I don't feel like I'm losing anything because of the existence of institutions serving minority populations.

Why shouldn't I be tolerant of minority organizations of attorneys, or accountants, or engineers? It doesn't bother *me*. I'm just a regular white guy, and regular tv, beauty pageants and college educations are already there for me, if I want them.
    Whites being overwhelmingly represented at college and on tv? Could that be because whites are the MAJORITY in this country, and blacks only make up only 12%? Things shouldn't be 50-50. However, by the incessant pandering to minorties in this country (mainly blacks), you would think that those percentages would be different. Don't even get me started on the education issue. Education is MORE readily available to minorities. Higher education has become a joke.

Look, I think judging people based on their race is a horrible thing. I also think that creating exclusive groups based on race, affirmative action programs, and simple social promotion are also horrible things.

Creating a black quarterbacks club is only furthering racial divides (as others have said). Race will no longer be an issue until people on both sides stop making it an issue. On top of that, it all starts at home. No amount of federal programs and dollars will fix racism and the many struggles that minority groups experience. It's on them. It's on many minorities to establish a strong family structure and moral fabric.

Bottom line: I don't think creating a black QB's club or creating television channels for one race will repair much of anything. It simply deepens the divides.

Education is MORE readily available to minorities. Higher education has become a joke

Woah there, thats a bit of a stretch. Higher education is readily available to blacks and other minorities who make it out of primary and secondary schools in tact. Which is not a large ammount.

If you don't understand, you need to spend some time checking out the Baltimore City school system, or any other urban minority dominated school system. Since their budgets are based on property taxes, and property value is horidly low in the cities, they have no budget. Additionally, there is a viscious cycle in such school that keep children from appreciating education properly, part of which starts at home and can be blamed on inner city parents. Of course, the plight of those lower class parents can also be attributed to other structural issues.

As a black Ivy-leager, I can say that apart from good parenting or good genetics I probabaly benefit the most from being public schooled in Pikesville with a large majority jewish population who were already academically oriented.

In any case, the real issue here is that a black QB group recognizes implicity some stereotypes that are negative.

ON the pre-determining of position in football, I do agree that that is an issue.

But should we see a white-running-backs or cornerbacks club? Or a jewish or asian club or all positions? It just gets silly.

Mulitalo and Ngata and others of polynesian descent seem to do a good job of having a sense of community without forming an official group.

IN any case, they have a right to form the group, but I feel like its unnecessary and probably reinforcing some stereotypes.