Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: New black quarterbacks club

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Worst response EVER. How do Black's NEED this club? They are already more then DOUBLY represented as NFL QB's. What I mean, is that a race that makes up 12.1% of the US popualtion, represents 25% of all starting NFL QB's. How is that NOT an equal shot?

So answer me, why do little balck kids need a BLACK QB's club to be able to play QB? They are already way over-represented by population? It seems to me that they have PLENTY of opportunities, or else they would still be under-represented.
    Jonboy, I think your math is a bit flawed.

In a league where the need for athleticism & physicality is at a premium, Afro-Americans have the qualities to excel in the sports arena. I'm not trying to turn this thread into something else, but I think that most folks (white, black or whatever) realize on some level that from a physical athleticism standpoint, Afro-Americans are unusually well-equipped on average.

While there may be an athletic advantage amongst Afro-Americans, I think everyone should realize that there still is a bit of a discrepancy in allowing men of color to go from Pee-Wee or club football to the pros as a QB (as compared to allowing whites to be QBs).

Generally, if a white kid starts out as a QB, even if he becomes a really good athlete or starts out as a superior overall athlete, as he grows & matures he's allowed (even encouraged) to remain a QB and go as far as he can as a QB.

In the same scenario, if a young black kid starts out at QB and shows strong athleticism early-on or as he grows, he is usually pushed, prodded, coerced and sometimes physically MOVED to another position (many times against his wishes).

I would guess that is one of the primary reasons for the formation of a Quarterback club of Afro-Americans -- to help young black kids realize that at whatever level they are (from Pee-Wee to Div-1), that in the special circumstances that only a black QB prospect goes thru, there's a collective group of guys that can truly understand, help & mentor them because they lived it.

While I'm not entirely sure forming a formal "club" was the right thing to do, I do give them credit for trying to get together and becoming a collective to try and help those that are coming up -- to be a beacon of sorts.

Anywhoo, that's my take.

.02 fromC DiP

Re: New black quarterbacks club

The slippery slope begins.... I'm pretty sure on my math but... even if it isn't here is the next evolution, and the reason why this club is an absolute JOKE and should be an embarrassment to all African - Americans.

Ok, so you say a mildly observible athletic advantage(I'll agree, it is there) is more then enough that more then one quarter of all QB's should be black if given an equal shot. That is saying, essentially, that a Black man is 3-4 times as likely as a white male to be a good QB. I'm going to disagree and say that it is around twice as likely, meaning that the current ratio is correct. I will agree that a black RB is at least 10 x s as likely to be good as a white RB, and without doing more math, I think they got that covered already. It is 32 for 32 right? as far as starters at least? In fact, Brian Leonard, and Nate Iloa are the only non-FB, non-Black runners I can think of.

Ok so here is where the slippery slope begins. How about a White Coaches Club? Since it was your position that a mildly observible athletic advantage was enough to show that African-American's deserve to be overwhelmingly represented at the QB position, Shouldn't white guys be able to get together and make sure that little white kid's realize they get an equal shot to be a coach? But wait, they'll never get a proportionately equal shot due to minority hiring rules, but alas maybe they can work towards getting those repealed, as they have a STATISTICALLY PROVEN advantage in intelligence, the primary skill of a coach. Where are the Jewish coaches, afterall Ashkenazi Male Jews are more then twice as liekly as any other individual group to have a genious level IQ... maybe all of our football coaches should be Jewish Males. Certainly not African -American Females the least likely group... So if the white males wanted that same, disproportionate hiring process, with "equal opportunity" then there would likely be NO minorities as getting dis-proportionate from nearly 80% comes dangerously close to 100%, and that is when people get yelling....

I truly don't understand why people think this is ok, at all. It's segregation and "reverse-racism"(retarded term, BTW) at it's best. The NFL or pro sports in general have no NEED for pro-black (read anit-white) organizations. As it is they actually have , statistical advantages in reaching those leagues on a player level(except kicker, ummm baseball they are only on par with pop %'s... ). In coaching circles they have rules and practicies that ensure they are equally represented. At this point, the last horizion is ownership, and that day is coming. As soon as enough minorities save up enough money, there will be more owners too, as competing bids go to minorities, almiost regardless of bid value.

I know this post is going to make some angry, but until organizations like this and provisions like affirmative action and and minority coaching practices are abandoned, how can we EVER HAVE EQUALITY? Isn't that the real idea, to walk next to, mingle with and be eye-to-eye with everyone? Everyone on equal footings? It doesn't seem like that's good enough for some people anymore...
    Last edited by jonboy79; 07-08-2007 at 11:06 AM.