Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
Woah there, thats a bit of a stretch. Higher education is readily available to blacks and other minorities who make it out of primary and secondary schools in tact. Which is not a large ammount.

If you don't understand, you need to spend some time checking out the Baltimore City school system, or any other urban minority dominated school system. Since their budgets are based on property taxes, and property value is horidly low in the cities, they have no budget. Additionally, there is a viscious cycle in such school that keep children from appreciating education properly, part of which starts at home and can be blamed on inner city parents. Of course, the plight of those lower class parents can also be attributed to other structural issues.

As a black Ivy-leager, I can say that apart from good parenting or good genetics I probabaly benefit the most from being public schooled in Pikesville with a large majority jewish population who were already academically oriented.

In any case, the real issue here is that a black QB group recognizes implicity some stereotypes that are negative.

ON the pre-determining of position in football, I do agree that that is an issue.

But should we see a white-running-backs or cornerbacks club? Or a jewish or asian club or all positions? It just gets silly.

Mulitalo and Ngata and others of polynesian descent seem to do a good job of having a sense of community without forming an official group.

IN any case, they have a right to form the group, but I feel like its unnecessary and probably reinforcing some stereotypes.
I agree with you to an extent, and I am familiar with the condition of the Baltimore City public school system, but I think the educational problems with inner city minorities are largely problems that stem from home, and result from certain cultural influences. I do understand, however, that a lot of these kids aren't really given much of a chance and the problems that plague these inner-city schools cannot be articulated in a single post.

However, it ulitmately comes down to personal responsibility. No one is forcing these kids out of school. Because of certain entitlement programs, AA, social promotion, etc., higher education (in many instances) has lowered it's standards. There are other reasons for the decline in the quality of education that many of these institutions offer, but I think that this movement to push underqualified minority candidates (that would be better off AT LEAST starting off at a community college level) to the college level is a big mistake. It not only hurts them, but it's at the expense of others.

Many have taken the point of view that public and higher education (especially higher) should be a guaranteed right and should be made available to ALL people. Now, because of this attitude, obtaining a college degree has become less significant, many useless departments have been created, and college has become a place of vacation for MANY students.

It's not a stretch at all to say that minorities have college education more readily available to them. Graduate from high school, and you're essentially set as a minority. That's what affirmative action has created. Many colleges and universities have a quota to fill; admission requirements are lowered in order to accomodate minority candidates (usually regardless of their personal financial situation).

This is really beside the point. I completely agree with you on the "Black QB's Club" situation; I really don't think there is a need to create such a group.

In my mind, racial divides (as I said earlier) only become more defined when people are constantly (or making a point to) recognizing the differences in one another. It's pointless and trivial. Morgan Freeman actually made some great points awhile back about black history month and the ongoing racial discussions in this country. He made the point that black history is American history, and that it shouldn't be relegated to one month of the year. He also discussed that racism will cease as soon as people stop talking about it.

I don't mean to turn this into a political discussion, I'm simply defending my stance on the education issue.

Bottom line: a black QB's club is stupid.