Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Things Wrong With The World: Tim Tebow on verge of Pro Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot here....but haven't we overlooked a somewhat pedestrian season from Flacco and justified it by using the whole "wins are all that matters" ideology? Why doesn't Tebow get the same treatment? I think it's ridiculous to think of him as a Pro Bowler, but right now in the AFC, who is providing more value to their team than Tebow? He's taken a talent-void Broncos team from nothing to a out-of-nowhere playoff contender...
    Well, this is true, but some would argue that it's their defense that has stepped up rather than Tebow. Tebow also doesn't really have that "signature" win against a good team.

I actually like Tebow, and think that he's a bit of a baller, but nobody can argue that he's a good passer.

Flacco on the otherhand, has beaten the Steelers twice, the Texans, the Bengals, the Niners. He's got at least three games that he won pretty dramatically on his arm.

Remember that the fan vote is only 1/3 of the voting, so I kinda doubt Tebow gets in. It'll either be Flacco or Dalton, depending on how both finish the season out.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Well, this is true, but some would argue that it's their defense that has stepped up rather than Tebow. Tebow also doesn't really have that "signature" win against a good team.
    The Ravens defense isn't exactly chopped liver. They are leading the league in quite a few surprising categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    The Ravens defense isn't exactly chopped liver. They are leading the league in quite a few surprising categories.
    The Ravens are also 8-3, and beating their teams by an average of two TD's or something close to that.

Flacco is on pace for around 4000 yards too, despite his other numbers being subpar for him, he's responsible for the majority of the offense this year.

Of course one could make the same argument about Tebow, only problem is the Broncos offense is pretty weak overall.

Blog Entries

If Tebow and the Broncos win this weekend it will be the first time they have won 5 consecutive road games since Elway was their QB.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot here....but haven't we overlooked a somewhat pedestrian season from Flacco and justified it by using the whole "wins are all that matters" ideology? Why doesn't Tebow get the same treatment? I think it's ridiculous to think of him as a Pro Bowler, but right now in the AFC, who is providing more value to their team than Tebow? He's taken a talent-void Broncos team from nothing to a out-of-nowhere playoff contender...
    When Tebow starts doing what he has done, against AFC North defenses, I'll buy that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

What no one is talking about is how the league-wide shift in offensive philosophy has benefitted Tebow and the Broncos.

For years now, the NFL has made a point of making things easier for the passing game. Defenses, in response to this shift, have been geared more towards stopping the pass.

When defenses that are geared toward stopping the pass encounter a team that only runs the ball (esp. when they run the ball well) the offense is going to have an advantage.

Just a theory...

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.869266,-117.227211

The kid plays his heart out and is winning games. Not sure why that offends anyone. Would rather watch him play then some dink and dunk cookie cutter passer.

Blog Entries

I don't understand the Tebow hatred any more than I understand Flacco bashing by Ravens fans.

The kid wins football games. He's fun to watch. Why hate him?

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    The kid plays his heart out and is winning games. Not sure why that offends anyone. Would rather watch him play then some dink and dunk cookie cutter passer.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I don't understand the Tebow hatred any more than I understand Flacco bashing by Ravens fans.

The kid wins football games. He's fun to watch. Why hate him?

No offense to those who oppose Tebow in the Pro Bowl, but I am shaking my head in disbelief.

Tebow's success is the most exciting non-Ravens story of the 2011 NFL season. I can't understand why any NFL fan would not share the interest of what he is accomplishing. Of course he deserves to be a Pro-Bowl QB (assuming that his magic continues).

Were any of you around when athletic NFL QBs made the game more exciting than it is today by using hips, legs, and physical strengths & moves -- not just their arms? Staubach, Tarkenton, Young, McNair, Vick. Tebow has the potential to be join the club of the greatest running QBs of my lifetime: Randall Cunningham and Greg Landry (who repeatedly called his own number).
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

There are five games left this season. The four wins by Tebow have been against 4 teams that are 15th, 25th, 26th, and 27th defenses against the run. Certainly his success, or at least the success of the Broncos with him, has been a big surprise.

His next 3 games are against run defenses ranked 8th, 9th and 11th in the league.

Resume this thread in three weeks and see how Tebow for Pro Bowl QB looks. NFL defenses are not going to continue to get beat by a read option offense especially teams that can play the run.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Well, this is true, but some would argue that it's their defense that has stepped up rather than Tebow.
    Tebow is certainly an inspiring story and I am pulling for him, but the stats bear out that it is the defense more than the offense that has stepped it up:

pre-Tebow: 1-4, offense 21.0 pts/game, defense 28.0 pts/game
    Tebow-era: 5-1, offense 19.3 pts/game, defense 20.5 pts/game

So, the defense is essentially giving up a touchdown less per game while the offense is scoring at about the same rate. I realize that statistics don't always tell the whole story, but that story has to include the resurgence of the Bronco defense.

Blog Entries

The players and coaches still have to weigh in. That's only the fan vote. But still if Tebow gets in, it will only solidify what a joke the Pro Bowl has become.