Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Re: Peter King's thought's on Modell, Tagliabue, and expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    The Eminent Domain bill didn't scare Irsay in the least. In fact, all it did was provide him with just the "reason" he need to arguably support a move. As you said, it had only passed one house, so it still needed to be passed in the other house and signed by the Gov. It was a long way toward being a done deal.

More importantly, eminent domain doesn't mean that the State can immediately take your property, but requires hearings, etc. So, even if passed and signed into law, the State had a long way to go before being able to seize the team. Not to mention, there clearly would have been a constitutional challenge to taking a sports team or business as compared to land (which is the usual target of eminent domain).

Simply put, Irsay was in no imminent danger of losing the Colts when he moved.

The bottom line is that Irsay had been planning his exit for awhile, he was just looking for the right time and reason to support the move. Thanks to the ED bill, he felt he finally had it (and the Indy mayor was pushing for a decision).
    I agree with everything you said except that the eminent domain bill didn't put a scare into Bob Irsay. Had the bill been finalized the state would not of been able to seize the team overnight. I agree it would have been a long and drawn out process. We both know this, but did Irsay? Granted its just speculation on my part, but I don't think Irsay was smart enough to know this was essentially a bluff. Yes he already had a place to go and was planning on going, but the manor in which he left makes me think he was scared. Sneaking out of town in the middle of the night during a snow storm? Those are the actions of a coward, in my humble opinion.

Irsay had a team of lawyers.

Fairly sure he knew the state was powerless when it came to ED.

And Irsay was a coward, you're correct. It's why he kept Shaffer on the hook, telling him repeatedly that he'd call "his friend Don" once he decided to move the team.

The middle of the night move was Irsay being Irsay and nothing more.

Blog Entries

That's one thing the entire country agrees on.

Irsay was a coward for sneaking out in the middle of the night in the middle of
    a snow storm. Like Ravor said, it would have taken time with hearings and
    what not to condemn the team.

You young guys just don't get it or care because you didn't go thru it.

Here's an old Times piece saying Irsay made Al Davis look like a knight.
    Note pic of snow storm while moving.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...rts/03.29.html

Blog Entries

This link lists it as one of NFLs all time embarrassing off-field moments ever. That's just not Irsay
    being Irsay.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...history/page/2

AirFlacco, interesting quote here from the article:

Without the necessity of N.F.L. approval, Robert Irsay moved his club's shoulder pads and film projectors in the middle of the night after a decent average of 40,923 ticket sales in Memorial Stadium last season, including a regular season club record of 60,559 for one game.
    I thought we had completely abandoned the team. Amazing it was that much after Irsay helicoptered into the Gator Bowl and flew all around whoring the team to any and all cities who would take a meeting. And calling plays from upstairs. And falling down drunk. And lying publicly about all of it.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Blog Entries

LOL - Yea, and HR said there were empty seats like we were the ones who did something

bad but Greg corrected that notion and now your quote from the link plus he didn't even
    ask for approval. At least Art asked for approval to move and got a near unanimous vote.
    And the young ones wonder why we're so upset.

BTW, that 40,000 was down from about 54,000 sellouts for every game over 2 decades but still
    decent as mentioned above. Irsay even said out there he would have made more money
    staying in Bmore with the deal they offered.

Also, as posted above, those numbers above made the Colts the 2rd or 3d most profitable
    team in league and he still moved.

If you're renting an apt and sneak out of town in the middle of the night you'd be called a coward.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-05-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Irsay had a team of lawyers.

Fairly sure he knew the state was powerless when it came to ED.

And Irsay was a coward, you're correct. It's why he kept Shaffer on the hook, telling him repeatedly that he'd call "his friend Don" once he decided to move the team.

The middle of the night move was Irsay being Irsay and nothing more.
    :word
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

The young ones are the ones who are cloudy on this. They just don't know.
    They get secondary info like books. Even the books contain secondary info.

History majors in college are taught how to write using primary sources. I
    wrote a paper on the construction of the Panama Canal using the original blue prints.
    My prof said he was stationed down there in the military and never knew that
    stuff.

Nothing takes the place of being there.