Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Indy is not a NFL town

I hope we beat the living shit out of Indy when they come here. This couldn't happen to a better group of fans. LOL

The new buyer of the Jags has said he plans on keeping the team in Jacksonville. Also if he were to try to move the team it would be a long-drawn out process to break the stadium lease. It runs through 2027.

The cards are falling right in place......hello Los Angeles Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by SPRavensFan View Post
    The new buyer of the Jags has said he plans on keeping the team in Jacksonville. Also if he were to try to move the team it would be a long-drawn out process to break the stadium lease. It runs through 2027.

The cards are falling right in place......hello Los Angeles Colts.
    After the Oil Drum was built? They may move in the future, but it won't be for a long time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    After the Oil Drum was built? They may move in the future, but it won't be for a long time yet.
    I'm sure Jimmy boy will follow in the footsteps of Bourbon Bob and pack up the team and skip town under the darkness of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I'm glad to see the chickens come home to roost for Irsay and the Polians. Bill Polian and his son have been treated like geniuses because they had the good fortune of drafting one of the all time best QBs, yet Polian carried himself with the same arrogance that we see from Belichick and Parcells. They made some nice picks in Freeney, Mathis and Wayne but the fact that they are so miserably bad now is a reflection of how badly they've drafted and managed the cap for the last 5 years.

It's annoying that they get to have the #1 pick again in a year with a top QB coming out because they're a team that deserves to be JaMarcus'd.
    good points. draft 5-7 players a year for 10 years or so and you're bound to get some winners (Bob Sanders, Marvin Harrison), but this year shows how thin the team really is, not to mention the idea of a playoff-caliber team with no proven backup qb. (Ravens in that position only because Bulger went home unexpectedly; rumor was he was set to return if Flacco went down).
    oh, wait, the Polians fired their D-Coord. so that was the problem!
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Go back and look through their draft history the past couple years. They've struck out a lot. Aside from a few good picks they've made in later rounds no one that they have drafted in the past couple years are key contributors to the team. Half the players aren't even on the Colts anymore.

Guys like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, hell even Dallas Clark aren't anything without Peyton.

How sweet would it be if the Colts drafted Andrew Luck, but he turned out to be a bust and Matt Barkley goes on to be a stud? :D

Indiana is a basketball state. High school basketball dominates there. Yea the Pacers have been god awful for a while (though they have surprisingly decent support), but the Hoosiers are still well supported.

Football is second. The Indy fans rode the wave when they had Manning, but there is no deep rooted love for the Colts there.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If the Steelers were having a terrible season would any TV station that normally broadcast Steelers games decide to to show an Eagles game instead? Of course not. It would never happen in Baltimore, NY, Green Bay, Chicago, KC, Denver and a bunch of other cities. Even Detroit that recently went through a winless season would never not show Lions games.

That's the difference between the Indy fans and real NFL cities. They do not have as many dedicated fans and it shows at times like this. The Jags fans get called out for these type of things so why shouldn't the Indy fans?
    One stupid TV exec doesn't necessarily reflect the entire city and fan base.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If the Steelers were having a terrible season would any TV station that normally broadcast Steelers games decide to to show an Eagles game instead? Of course not. It would never happen in Baltimore, NY, Green Bay, Chicago, KC, Denver and a bunch of other cities. Even Detroit that recently went through a winless season would never not show Lions games.

That's the difference between the Indy fans and real NFL cities. They do not have as many dedicated fans and it shows at times like this. The Jags fans get called out for these type of things so why shouldn't the Indy fans?
    The article isn't about an Indianapolis TV station. It's about a Fort Wayne, IN TV station. Fort Wayne is 126 miles from Indianapolis and 200 miles from Chicago. The York, PA comparison made above IS roughly comparable.

As for calling them rats, they are no more rats than we are. We did the same thing. As it so happens I've never had any ire for Indianapolis for the team theft. I focused all that energy on Bob Irsay. Indianapolis was simply offered a team and did what any other city would do. Indianapolis just did what did a decade later. Yes, thankfully, Cleveland was treated a whole hell of a lot better by the NFL than they treated us; but even if Cleveland wasn't guaranteed a new franchise in 3 years Baltimore still would have happily taken the Browns when offered.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    Two, the Colts have three of their last five games on the road. I'm willing to bet that the Fort Wayne area is a secondary market for the Colts, much like the York, PA area is for the Ravens. If that's the case, the NFL dictates that the local CBS affiliate MUST show Indy's road games, much like CBS stations in Central PA must show the Ravens when they are on the road.
    Do central PA stations always show the Ravens? My comcast out of Gettysburg (southern york county) trumps the Ravens all the time for the Eagles/Steelers if there is a conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Do central PA stations always show the Ravens? My comcast out of Gettysburg (southern york county) trumps the Ravens all the time for the Eagles/Steelers if there is a conflict.
    If Gettysburg's CBS station is WHP21 (which serves most of central PA, and I would assume Gettysburg as well), then the same secondary market rules should apply.

That is, when the Ravens are on the road, WHP has to show the game. If the Ravens are at home, WHP can choose any game to show, and in that case will usually pick the Steelers, to try to give both fanbases equal airtime. This usually works out well, with a fairly even split of Ravens and Steeler games throughout the season.

As for the Eagles, they're usually on Fox45. Of the couple times a year that they are on CBS, same rules apply. Ravens on the road trumps both Philly and Pittsburgh, and if the Ravens are at home, CBS can choose from any available game.

It's gotta be tough for the station - I've read that they get flooded with angry calls every Sunday, from whatever fanbase isn't able to watch their team that week. It's a delicate balancing act.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    The article isn't about an Indianapolis TV station. It's about a Fort Wayne, IN TV station. Fort Wayne is 126 miles from Indianapolis and 200 miles from Chicago. The York, PA comparison made above IS roughly comparable.

As for calling them rats, they are no more rats than we are. We did the same thing. As it so happens I've never had any ire for Indianapolis for the team theft. I focused all that energy on Bob Irsay. Indianapolis was simply offered a team and did what any other city would do. Indianapolis just did what did a decade later. Yes, thankfully, Cleveland was treated a whole hell of a lot better by the NFL than they treated us; but even if Cleveland wasn't guaranteed a new franchise in 3 years Baltimore still would have happily taken the Browns when offered.
    The biggest difference between Irsay and Modell is that Modell is a decent man. Irsay was a joke, he was always drunk and traded all of the great players. He virtually ruined a once proud franchise. He should have let Baltimore keep all the records and their name. Indianapolis has nothing to do with the word "Colts" they are a basketball town.
    Jim Irsay is a better man than his Dad, but Peyton Manning is the lifeblood of the Colts. This year proves that. I know that everyone talks about how great Andrew Luck is but if he is drafted by Indy he will always be in the shadow of Peyton. That will be hard to live up to. What will the Colts do with Manning this Spring is the big question. Will they just let him go after all he has done for that franchise? I don't know, but they probably can't afford Peyton and Andrew Luck. If they keep him how much cap room will they have left for other players. I think we are seeing Indy going downhill for a while to come. Mismanaged again by the next generation of the Irsay family. He won't just move in the middle of the night because they have a long contract with Indy because of Lucas Oil Field. However, Indianapolis is going to have lots of blackouts in the future. Peyton on the other hand if he is still able to play will be wanted by almost every other team in the NFL.