Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

Everyone,

In case you have not seen this, I thought many of you would appreciate what Mr. Irsay had to say about this year's championship ring.

Missing from the ring were the diamonds that teams typically use to symbolize the number of championships won by the franchise.

In the Colts case that would be two, counting their 1970 victory when the team was still in Baltimore. Irsay opted against that for two reasons.

"We look at it as being the first one for the Indianapolis Colts," Irsay said. "And there was no need to bring up any friction."

This is from an ESPN article about the presentation of the Rings on Wednesday night. Here is the link if you would like to read the entire article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2903767

r/s
    Sgt. Colt

2. Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

Hmmm. It's been 7 days and there have been 42 reads of this post, but no one has replied.

I thought this would be a subject your fan base would be interested in.

Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

I'm glad Mr. Irsay did that, he is correct, no need to cause friction.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

since the 'we' (Ravens family) got our own ring, and will shortly gain another, a lot of the sting has been removed. I'm still disappointed that he didn't return the name/colors, as did Mr. Modell.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Wink Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

That's one small step for a man.

Now, to take that giant leap for mankind:

- the NFL must totally segregate the records of the Baltimore Colts and the Indianapolis NFL franchise.

- the NFL Hall of Fame must totally segregate the team displays in Canton between the Baltimore Colts and the Indianapolis NFL franchise.

- Irsay should rename the Indianapolis NFL franchise to a name more fitting for the area, such as "Racers", "Hoosiers", "500s", or "We're not Gary". Just like "Colts" was chosen for our team because of the strong horse breeding activity in Maryland. Perhaps hold a local Indiana contest, with the name unveiling to coincide with opening of the new stadium.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Yes the ring is a start to let Indy be Indy. Now separate all the records and leave Baltimore out of all the talk with Indy. They got our team and the colors just continue to make your own records.

7. Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

Everyone,

Thanks for the response. I didn't think anyone was going to comment on this article for a while.

I, personally, wanted the 'history of the Colts' displayed on the ring, but I understand why Mr. Irsay made the decision he did.

By the way, don't hold your breath on the separate history. The Colts are still the Colts, no matter what city. Just like: Dogers, Cardinals, Rams, Lakers, and other teams that have moved.

I look forward to this season. Good luck to your team (expect for 12/9). And if any of you will be in Canton for HOF weekend, say hello.

r/s
    Sgt Colt

Quote Originally Posted by sgtcolt View Post
    By the way, don't hold your breath on the separate history. The Colts are still the Colts, no matter what city. Just like: Dogers, Cardinals, Rams, Lakers, and other teams that have moved.
    sgtcolt - you don't want to open up that can of worms. Unless you are ready for a flame war. It's a sensitive topic, so please just let it be.

Read the article on #19 in the Baltimore Sun today and you will see why the franchise in Indianapolis is a fraud. Their fans suck - go get your own history. What, you all couldn't come up with your own name that reflects your city and state?

Midwestern losers.
    Baltimore Football Championships
    Ravens 2000, 2012
    Stallions 95 CFL
    Stars 85 USFL
    Colts 58, 59, 70

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drdelaware View Post
    Read the article on #19 in the Baltimore Sun today and you will see why the franchise in Indianapolis is a fraud. Their fans suck - go get your own history. What, you all couldn't come up with your own name that reflects your city and state?

Midwestern losers.
    :word

Whether it is Baltimore Colts or Ravens, no one can ever take away our memories of the Five NFL championship we celebrated here in Baltimore. Four with the Baltimore Colts and one with the Baltimore RAVENS!!! We are very lucky fans to have had two such great NFL teams to cheer for. When you think of it Baltimore has only had an NFL team in the league for a total of 45 years and we have five NFL championships during that time. It took the Steelers from 1933 - 1974 to win their first and only have 6 in 77 years of being in the NFL. Not a bad NFL championship winning percentage, per years in the league if you ask me......

Ask any Indy Colt fan what it was like when the Colts won an NFl championship in 1968, 59, 68, and 1970??? What can they say?? Baltimore Colt fans own those Championship memories......

GO RAVENS!!!!!

12. Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

I don't care about the ring. I want the records and HOF display separated. At that point I will be fine. And not until.

Manning should be setting Indy Colt records not breaking Johnny U records.