Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

Everyone,

In case you have not seen this, I thought many of you would appreciate what Mr. Irsay had to say about this year's championship ring.

Missing from the ring were the diamonds that teams typically use to symbolize the number of championships won by the franchise.

In the Colts case that would be two, counting their 1970 victory when the team was still in Baltimore. Irsay opted against that for two reasons.

"We look at it as being the first one for the Indianapolis Colts," Irsay said. "And there was no need to bring up any friction."

This is from an ESPN article about the presentation of the Rings on Wednesday night. Here is the link if you would like to read the entire article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2903767

r/s
    Sgt. Colt

2. Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

Hmmm. It's been 7 days and there have been 42 reads of this post, but no one has replied.

I thought this would be a subject your fan base would be interested in.

Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

I'm glad Mr. Irsay did that, he is correct, no need to cause friction.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

since the 'we' (Ravens family) got our own ring, and will shortly gain another, a lot of the sting has been removed. I'm still disappointed that he didn't return the name/colors, as did Mr. Modell.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Wink Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

That's one small step for a man.

Now, to take that giant leap for mankind:

- the NFL must totally segregate the records of the Baltimore Colts and the Indianapolis NFL franchise.

- the NFL Hall of Fame must totally segregate the team displays in Canton between the Baltimore Colts and the Indianapolis NFL franchise.

- Irsay should rename the Indianapolis NFL franchise to a name more fitting for the area, such as "Racers", "Hoosiers", "500s", or "We're not Gary". Just like "Colts" was chosen for our team because of the strong horse breeding activity in Maryland. Perhaps hold a local Indiana contest, with the name unveiling to coincide with opening of the new stadium.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Yes the ring is a start to let Indy be Indy. Now separate all the records and leave Baltimore out of all the talk with Indy. They got our team and the colors just continue to make your own records.

7. Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

Everyone,

Thanks for the response. I didn't think anyone was going to comment on this article for a while.

I, personally, wanted the 'history of the Colts' displayed on the ring, but I understand why Mr. Irsay made the decision he did.

By the way, don't hold your breath on the separate history. The Colts are still the Colts, no matter what city. Just like: Dogers, Cardinals, Rams, Lakers, and other teams that have moved.

I look forward to this season. Good luck to your team (expect for 12/9). And if any of you will be in Canton for HOF weekend, say hello.

r/s
    Sgt Colt

Quote Originally Posted by sgtcolt View Post
    By the way, don't hold your breath on the separate history. The Colts are still the Colts, no matter what city. Just like: Dogers, Cardinals, Rams, Lakers, and other teams that have moved.
    sgtcolt - you don't want to open up that can of worms. Unless you are ready for a flame war. It's a sensitive topic, so please just let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    sgtcolt - you don't want to open up that can of worms. Unless you are ready for a flame war. It's a sensitive topic, so please just let it be.
    Too late...

Jimmy tried to do the decent thing because he could see clearly having been in both cities,that this so called "Colts History " was written in two volumes...the Baltimore Volume and the indy volume. You people in indy never got it and never will. You kept the history and the name and the records because you liked basking in the Old Colts Reflected Glory.
    Now you have some history of your own, so try to step out of the shadow of Baltimore's Greatness. Make a new start , our history has been carrying you long enough.

I guess I'll never understand the Indy fans desire to cling to another team's storied history?! They now have their own bonified Super Bowl championship; so give Baltimore back its records and storied past, and let Johnny U forever rest in peace!

11. Re: Superbowl Ring - Olive Branch

Okay, gentlemen, I guess the flame war has started.

A Colt is a Colt, and it is not a Raven.

The horseshoe is now in Indy, true. It was in Baltimore, also true. And you are also right, there are two volumes to the history.

But unfortunately, it is two volume of ONE franchise's history. The Colts. Not the Ravens. It is the story of one of the greatest franchises. Ultimate highs, and terrible lows.

Be proud of your part. The Indy fans are proud of theirs. But there are a few of us fans that are proud of both. I am one of them.

Sgt. Colt

When the Browns moved here from Cleveland, I, along with the majority of the fans here in Baltimore, Did Not want the Browns team name; their uniforms; or their heritage - That will forever belong to the fans and city of Cleveland, and Not the fans of Baltimore! Furthermore, had Mr. Modell Not done the decent thing and returned the colors to Cleveland, I predict the fans of Baltimore would have demanded he do so!