Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I Predict The Ravens Run The Table

I'll be more comfortable thinking they'll run the table after they beat the Browns and show they're done playing down to the opposition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Way I see it...ravens have two tough road games left (chargers, bengals), steelers have one (sf). I def think the ravens could win out, but I think the steelers could too.
    I don't want to overlook any team, but the Chargers (4 - 6) have just lost 5 in a row. We play the Colts, in Baltimore, @ 1 p.m. the Sunday before. When we travel west, we gain 3 clock hours, plus kick-off is @ 8:20 p.m., so that's almost like gaining 1/2 day. All things being equal (injuries, etc.), I do not see the Chargers as a tough road game... Bc

Cincy is going to be a tough out in Week 17, especially if they need a win to get in as a WC..

And traveling to SD is no easy task. SD will probably need THEIR game to stay in the playoff hunt.

I think we will lose one of those two.. Finish 12-4 and hope the Steelers lose one more or we will be the dreaded 5th seed and play at Pittsburgh once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Cincy is going to be a tough out in Week 17, especially if they need a win to get in as a WC..

And traveling to SD is no easy task. SD will probably need THEIR game to stay in the playoff hunt.

I think we will lose one of those two.. Finish 12-4 and hope the Steelers lose one more or we will be the dreaded 5th seed and play at Pittsburgh once again.
    I was going to challenge you on the SD game but looking at their remaining schedule, they have some winnable games if Rivers gets on track. If they win their next three (Denver, @Jack, Buffalo), they are going to be tough against the Ravens. Lose 1 or 2 and they'll probably pack it in.

The bottom line is the Ravens margin of error is gone. They need to treat every game as a playoff game and win out.

That's the message (a sense of real urgency) that Harbs should be sending out.

The Ravens can hope that the Steelers lose to either the Bengals or 9ers or both but if the Ravens simply win each game as it comes on its schedule they'll have no worries about the division or the conference.

Of note, Ben has a fractured right thumb that will affect his throws (see Matt Stafford and his broken index finger) and hand offs.

Lastly, I can see Cincy running the table because they are that good and will be facing a diminished Texans team at home and a Steelers team that they think they should've beat (yes the ghost of Carson Palmer has reared its ugly/delusional head with the 'better team lost' talk again).
    Last edited by Ravens75; 11-25-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Blog Entries

On paper Ravens simply have the best team this side of GB who is undefeated.

We should be undefeated too but this is a good time to run the table. I said SB
    before the season - on paper.

Blog Entries

The Ravens cannot ensure themselves the #1 seed by winning out alone. They need either New England or Houston to win (or tie :D) at least one remaining game--even though they hold the tiebreaker over both of them individually.

If either HOU or NE win out, they finish the same as BAL if it wins out: 13-3, 10-2 AFC. The Ravens hold head-to-head over the Texans and (should they run the table) common opponents (IND, NYJ, PGH, SD) over the Pats (5-0 vs 4-1 for the Pats--the one loss being to Pittsburgh).

But with 3 or more teams tied, head-to-head only counts if all teams have played all other teams (NE hasn't played us or HOU), and common opponents only counts if there are at least 4 games (only common opponents are IND and PGH which represents 3 games for BAL & HOU, only 2 for NE). Therefore those 2 tiebreakers go out the window if HOU and NE also win out.

That eliminates the top 3 tiebreakers after won-lost record (head to head, conference record, common opponents) and leaves the seedings up to #4: Strength of victory, or the sum of the records of all the teams that you beat. At the moment the Ravens have a lead there (BAL 64, NE 54, HOU 48) by virtue of having lost to unsuccessful (so far) teams & beaten (so far) successful teams, but that could very easily between now & Week 17.

Ball So Hard University motto: Globus ita arduus. (Or something like that. Any Latin scholars out there??)

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    The sad truth is that we may have to win out to secure the division. Steelers have an easy road ahead and a 12-4 record may not be good enough to win the north. That last game @cincinnati could be for all the marbles.
    The Steelers have SF and Cincy left and I think they will lose one of those.

The Steelers and the Ravens IMO are the 2 best teams in the AFC. Homefield is very important, if we get it and see them again, we will beat them a 3rd time because we are the better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    The Steelers have SF and Cincy left and I think they will lose one of those.
    And we have Cincy and San Diego left. Steelers play Cincy at home, while we play Cincy in their house. If our D abandons the 'wreak havoc' approach, like it has recently, last night being the exception, we are likely to leave another 'steamer' in SD - Rivers is likely to exploit our soft underbelly, which good QBs have done to us this year. No, we have to win out; otherwise, we will be traveling TO Pittsburg, again....
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Umm.Hello?? Our next game is against some team from Cleveland. Road game coming up after a big emotional win at home! Sound familiar? As raven fans it's nice to get a little ahead of oursevles but let's do a little reality check here. Regardless of the opponent every game gets bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    The Ravens cannot ensure themselves the #1 seed by winning out alone. They need either New England or Houston to win (or tie :D) at least one remaining game--even though they hold the tiebreaker over both of them individually.

If either HOU or NE win out, they finish the same as BAL if it wins out: 13-3, 10-2 AFC. The Ravens hold head-to-head over the Texans and (should they run the table) common opponents (IND, NYJ, PGH, SD) over the Pats (5-0 vs 4-1 for the Pats--the one loss being to Pittsburgh).

But with 3 or more teams tied, head-to-head only counts if all teams have played all other teams (NE hasn't played us or HOU), and common opponents only counts if there are at least 4 games (only common opponents are IND and PGH which represents 3 games for BAL & HOU, only 2 for NE). Therefore those 2 tiebreakers go out the window if HOU and NE also win out.

That eliminates the top 3 tiebreakers after won-lost record (head to head, conference record, common opponents) and leaves the seedings up to #4: Strength of victory, or the sum of the records of all the teams that you beat. At the moment the Ravens have a lead there (BAL 64, NE 54, HOU 48) by virtue of having lost to unsuccessful (so far) teams & beaten (so far) successful teams, but that could very easily between now & Week 17.

Ball So Hard University motto: Globus ita arduus. (Or something like that. Any Latin scholars out there??)
    Philly's back is against the wall and must win out to have any chance of a playoff berth so I see New England going down Sunday against the Eagles. Houston will be hard pressed to win 10 games without Schuab. Not really worried about the above scenario.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    Philly's back is against the wall and must win out to have any chance of a playoff berth so I see New England going down Sunday against the Eagles. Houston will be hard pressed to win 10 games without Schuab. Not really worried about the above scenario.
    Hope you're right--I'm gonna be a big Igls fan Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    Might be tough without Vick and possibly Jackson and/or asomugha. Not sure about the severity of their injuries, but if they don't play, it could be a long day for Philly.