Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Purple Camouflage

Can't we all just get along?

Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

As much as I love the Ravens, I can't bring myself to put on a pair of those things. From first seeing them when I moved here six years ago to now, it's one of the few things in Baltimore that I haven't come around to. I also think my fiancee would disown me if I ever bought a pair - I made a promise some time ago I'd never wear any.

Although I should quickly point out that those who wear them that I tailgate with look FABULOUS in them.

And Crazyraven - I'd argue they do have something to do with the Ravens, as they're purple. No logo, but you get the idea.

I just wanna know how many beers you can hold in them.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    I just wanna know how many beers you can hold in them.
    Now that's the kind of thinking I like to hear.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

You can get a six pack in in those pants.

As much as I love the Ravens, I can't bring myself to put on a pair of those things. From first seeing them when I moved here six years ago to now, it's one of the few things in Baltimore that I haven't come around to. I also think my fiancee would disown me if I ever bought a pair - I made a promise some time ago I'd never wear any.
    LOL, what a great idea for a wedding gift, do NOT be surprised when you each are staring at a pair.

Although I should quickly point out that those who wear them that I tailgate with look FABULOUS in them.
    That's a non-save. I won't hold it against you since I now get to give you a great gag gift for the wedding.

Actually, the true reason I wear mine...is for the drunk chicks who come around the tailgate area and squeeze my ass...simply because I'm wearing purple camo pants....
    we aren't just loyal, we are obsessed. and we are violently so. we are baltimore, and we are the epitome of dysfunctionality.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    I love how an innocent thread gets people like maniac nuts. I'll try to fix this as best I can but It's truly alarming.

I saw some pictures of fans wearing the clothes and thought to myself how the hell did these fatigues get so popular in Baltimore and no where else. Then I decided to write a new post. that's it. Nothing more nothing less.

I mean What if everybody was wearing a snorkel outfit to the games? You wouldn't think why is everyone wearing a snorkel outfit when it has nothing to do with the NFL or the Baltimore ravens?

Now can you get off my dick, regardless of the size?
    Here we go again..........................................

What's the big issue with the pants???????????????

They have purple in them.

The Ravens have purple in their uniforms.

You wear purple to the games to support your team.

That's the .003 of a second brainstorm I had the first time I saw them.

No big deal, however, unless you're the "Tempest in a Teapot" poster around here.

Hey Crow, how about sharing the story about the time you had to sit in the Cincitucky airport wearing them after a roadtrip and getting harassed from Bungles fans?

Hey Crow, how about sharing the story about the time you had to sit in the Cincitucky airport wearing them after a roadtrip and getting harassed from Bungles fans?
    That wasn't me. If I recollect, it was Greg...and it was Pittsburgh(??) I can't recall the city exactly....but I definitely remember it was Greg.
    we aren't just loyal, we are obsessed. and we are violently so. we are baltimore, and we are the epitome of dysfunctionality.

No big deal, however, unless you're the "Tempest in a Teapot" poster around here.
    We'll talk about the pot calling the kettle black. There is no big deal started here, although you and RM are acting like there is one.

No matter, trust me when I say I am amused at how I irrate some of the people on this board no matter what I say. The people who stepped up and contributed to this thread, thank you. To all the others who are trying to be difficult... vaffanculo!
    Last edited by crazyraven; 06-13-2007 at 09:37 AM.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    It is a culture shock for a NY city boy like myself to see all of these people with fatigues on that have absoultly nothing to do with the ravens.

Its pretty obvious by your tone and assertions that it "has absolutely nothing to do with the Ravens" that you have an issue with it. Maybe you think its too redneck and you wish they weren't popular. My question would be, why do you care what other people wear?
    Well, I'll stand up and say. I DO think they are Tacky, and redneckish. Some people I know wear them for just that purpose... as a kind of a spoof on the whole redneck thing. I would not wear them, but again, to each his own. I own 9 authentic Jerseys, 3 replica jerseys, 55 ravens caps, Ravens cold weather gloves, Scarves, Flashing necklace, Beads, 5 different ravens toques, wristbands, Ravens socks, Sunglasses. I even have a fiber-optic hat. But I draw the line at camo. My ravens spirit is very well represented w/o it! I would embarrass myself, if I wore camo. That's not to say I mind it on others... You know, some things just look better on some than others!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    Ever since PSI/M&T opened its doors I have seen many fans wear these clothes during the season. what significance does this have to the fans and what does it have to do with the ravens? Is this a Maryland thing. For example you never see anyone else in our division walking around with NFL team fatigues.
    Okay, here is my understanding on how the purple camouflage tradition got started in Baltimore, and other applicable facts. Perhaps this will jar the memory of some of the posters here, because actually I thought it was fairly common knowledge. No offense meant, after all it started 8 years ago or so.

* As the Ravens prepared for the playoffs in 2000, several of the players adopted the motto "We are going to War!" Some of them started wearing the Army's standard camouflage BDU's (Battle Dress Uniform). Most notably, Sam Adams wore full regular Army camouflage that glorious night at BWI airport when the team returned from it's victory over the Titans in Nashville to advance to the AFC Championship. The place was packed with fans and Sam told the reporters he was wearing the Army stuff because he and his team mates were "going to war". That was the coolest fan rally I've ever been to bar none!

* There may well have been some fans who wore purple camo before that but the practice really took off the following year. There was a guy who had a store on Mountain road who told me he signed a contract with the corporation who made uniforms for the Army. He said that we were the only fan base (at the time) who bought the Army camos with our colors on them. The guy set up a store in one of our hotel rooms at the OC Roost convention 2 years in a row. More vendors started picking up on this trend, but IIRC, there was a year or 2 when it was really tough to find new ones. I think vendors have only started selling them again in the last couple years.

* Camo army pants have actually started to get kind of popular with the general public, usually young folks. They are usually worn as shorts and usually in black, white and grey. I've seen them frequently.

* We saw probably a dozen or so Steeler fans wearing black and yellow camouflage at Heinz field two years ago at the Halloween MNF game. That's about it. Of course, they looked like shite.

Thus endeth your Ravens trivia lesson for the day.

Respectfully submitted,

-Real Fan Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That's a non-save. I won't hold it against you since I now get to give you a great gag gift for the wedding.
    Great...thanks. Provided you compliment it with something from the registry. Or at least a bottle of banana rum. Otherwise I'm going to make you stand outside the reception room and refuse you access to our premium bar. Or maybe I'll just order you a vegan meal.