Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Crazy Offensive Line Idea

I know this idea has NO chance of getting implemented :insane:

However, it meets the principles of putting our best guys out on the line, doing what it takes to win and doing what's best for the team.

It is based on four beliefs today
    1. Adam Terry can play an good if not excelent left tackle today based on the times he has been thrown out there to play. Don't think he can do a good switch to RT.
    2. Jason Brown is better than Keydrick Vincent at right guard today
    3. J.O. is a good enough athlete to move from left tackle to right tackle without a hitch
    4. Getting the youth out on the o-line, will only make us better by the end of the season

So the proposed lineup is

LT -- Terry
    LG -- Mulitalo
    C -- Flynn
    RG -- Brown
    RT -- Ogden

I think if this line was out there instead of our line today it would be a significant step up in total ability ; e.g., Terry / Brown are better than Vincent / Pashos.

Some might say we would be wasting Ogden's skills on the right side; I would say having a solid line is the missing piece that will prevent us from going to the next level of NFL excellence.

I know that we wouldn't do it today because it would 1) totally would be against conventional wisdom to move Ogden and 2) violate the ongoing assertion that all is right with the o-line.

However, fiire away on critiques on whether this WOULD work if it was actually done .. remember the Patriots were able to sub Troy Brown as a cornerback with excellent results against the conventional wisdom.

Re: A Crazy Offensive Line Idea

Swap Terry and Ogden. Terry played RT in college, and JO you just don't move. I like it other than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenatic20 View Post
    Swap Terry and Ogden. Terry played RT in college, and JO you just don't move. I like it other than that.
    Adam Terry did NOT play RT in college. He played LT and always has been a LT. Terry does not have the push to play RT, but he seems to have the makings for a solid LT.

JO has said that he does not want to play RT, so you can forget about that as well.

The OL will be was it is, unfortunately.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

why can nobody ever understand this....Terry played LT in college and terry can not play RT..

Not going to happen

Terry is not and will not ever be a RT

it seems like once a week someone says terry should play Rt

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    Terry is not and will not ever be a RT
    Then he will never play any significant time for the Ravens and he will go down as a bust if he isn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDream View Post
    Then he will never play any significant time for the Ravens and he will go down as a bust if he isn't already.
    Wrong, he is and always has been Ogden's heir apparent, taken earlier than perhaps necessary but he's getting plenty of time to learn and will never be in a position to ask for mega bucks if his contract comes up before the end of Ogden's career.

Terry played LT in college and Ogden won't play RT. He would retire before he plays RT.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

And you've still got Mike Flynn at Center. Ergh.

Actually, I came up with an idea for the Chargers game. There are two concerns I have iwth that game. Pashos against Merriman and Castillo against our interior line.

On obvious passing situations, have Chester come in and line-up next to Pashos as a tight end.

1. With pashos and Chester, it should minimize Merriman's ability.
    2. Chester is a former tight end so he should not feel out of place.
    3. According to the talking heads and coaches, he has the athletic ability.

Of course this won't help with Castillo but if Merriman drops back into coverage, then Chester will be able to help with the middle.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post
    Actually, I came up with an idea for the Chargers game. There are two concerns I have iwth that game. Pashos against Merriman and Castillo against our interior line.

On obvious passing situations, have Chester come in and line-up next to Pashos as a tight end.

Of course this won't help with Castillo but if Merriman drops back into coverage, then Chester will be able to help with the middle.

Just a thought.
    That's an excellent idea. Maybe Fassel will read this and agree. :)
    With Heap hurting, today might be an excellent time to try it. At worst, it would give Chester some reps and a chance to polish his blocking skills in actual game conditions.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post

Just a thought.
    That is a great idea. Protecting McNair is key #1 in this game in my opinion. And I forgot Chester is a converted TE until I read that. I started worrying about Lights Out vs Pashos when I woke up this morning, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    I started worrying about Lights Out vs Pashos when I woke up this morning, haha.
    I've been worrying about this match-up since the Chargers/Raiders game. Geez. Merriman is man among boys but we got to come up with some creativity to put our guys in the best position to win.