Page 198 of 324 FirstFirst ... 196197198199200 ... LastLast
Results 2,365 to 2,376 of 3886

Thread: Draft Prospects

Blog Entries

Re: Draft Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Next year's crop of centers - as of now - isn't all that great either.

Ben Haeburn, Oklahoma, 6'2" 295lbs
    Mario Benavides, Louisville, 6'4" 305lbs
    TJ Johnson, South Carolina, 6'5" 310lbs
    Braxston Cave, Notre Dame, 6'3" 300lbs
    Chris Watt, Notre Dame, 6'4" 315lbs

I think it's one of those things where do you take Konz this year if you have a chance and not go for someone who has a higher ceiling like a Stephen Hill, Andre Branch or someone like that, or do you not go for Konz, take a flier on a mid round center and hope he pans out because next year's crop of interior OL'men is pretty weak right now as well.
    How do you think the team feels about Branch? How do you see Branch fitting into the Ravens defensive system?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How do you think the team feels about Branch? How do you see Branch fitting into the Ravens defensive system?
    I think they could look at Branch as that speed pass rusher that they've never had opposite of Suggs. Kruger has done well, but he could be looking to get paid after this season if he has another strong season and I'm not sure Baltimore will pay top OLB/DE dollar for him. This is also depending on Kindle. Kindle was supposed to be that finesse/speed pass rusher opposite of Suggs.

Branch has elite quickness and speed for his size and I've seen him mocked anywhere from a top 15 pick to Dallas or the Jets all the way down to the mid 2nd round to Miami.

I think he'll be a 1st rounder. It's hard to ignore a guy that size with that kind of burst.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

This all depends on who falls and who the Ravens like. It's just hard to gauge who they value and in what order. For example, we don't know if they value Kuechly higher than Hightower. We don't know if they value either one as a first round pick.

The only guy that we likely know they would pick, if he fell, is Courtney Upshaw.

In that case, I wouldn't mind having Upshaw in the first, with Blake (C) and Givens (WR) in the mid rounds.

I wouldn't mind taking a late round flier on Greg Childs (WR) either.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Question Re: Draft Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I can't answer the question, except to say that I think it will be hard for Ozzie to spend a first round pick on a center like Konz. They are going to have to really like the guy in order to do that, or really not like the options at DE, OLB, WR. It's just been his style to wade deeper into the draft to pluck interior lineman.

I think Grubbs was an exception, and I'm not sure they would take him again, if they had to do it over. There wasn't a ton of elite talent in the 2007 draft beyond the first 15 selections, but they certainly could have taken a LaMarr Woodley or Sidney Rice as their first pick. A WR and OLB/DE type of talent that is harder to find than interior linemen.

Marshal Yanda out of the third round that year was a much better value, and maybe a better player than Grubbs was for them. Jerod Bushrod was a fourth rounder. Ryan Kalil was a second round center. You get the idea.
    Shas, I agree that Konz shouldn't be the pick, but if you look at our Oline now...Konz could fill in @ LG while learning from Birk. Then slide over into C if Birk is injured or start in the 2013 season. Again, not saying I'd be for him being drafted in the 1st round, but if he is then I can see Ozzie's point of view... Bc

P.S. - is it possible to trade down a few spots, pick up another late draft pick, then select Konz in round 2?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Shas, I agree that Konz shouldn't be the pick, but if you look at our Oline now...Konz could fill in @ LG while learning from Birk. Then slide over into C if Birk is injured or start in the 2013 season. Again, not saying I'd be for him being drafted in the 1st round, but if he is then I can see Ozzie's point of view... Bc

P.S. - is it possible to trade down a few spots, pick up another late draft pick, then select Konz in round 2?
    I could see Konz sliding a little, but not more than a few picks into the 2nd round.

Blog Entries

Konz is a tough one to predict. He isn't Mangold. He also doesn't have the hype that the Pounceys did. Stefan Wisniewski and Ryan Kalil were both good Center prospects who were'n't quite perfect and they dropped into the 2nd round because of it. In a normal draft I could see that happening to Konz.

In a weak draft were there isn't that great prospect who is going to fall it's possible that a team could decide to go with a need and take Konz in the first. My gut tells me that if the Packers pass in round 1 that Konz will be available in the middle of round 2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Konz is a tough one to predict. He isn't Mangold. He also doesn't have the hype that the Pounceys did. Stefan Wisniewski and Ryan Kalil were both good Center prospects who were'n't quite perfect and they dropped into the 2nd round because of it. In a normal draft I could see that happening to Konz.

In a weak draft were there isn't that great prospect who is going to fall it's possible that a team could decide to go with a need and take Konz in the first. My gut tells me that if the Packers pass in round 1 that Konz will be available in the middle of round 2.
    Mangold was the better prospect by miles IMO. He was in consideration for ROY, for a center that is very very rare. Pouncey however is just an overrated player, if you watch his tape for the Steelers he struggles against guys like Ngata in the trenches, and is under sized, his brother is basically the same he was so overrated in the draft and the Dolphins took him, he looked pretty average in 2011. I think Konz will be a better player than both the Pounceys. As for the Packers, they will pass up on him most likely now they have signed Satuday as their center.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

100%

He would fill the biggest need, and for that reason, it's tempting just to take him.

My only point was that it hasn't been Ozzie's style. First, because he goes with best player on the board, regardless of position. And second, they still talk about using that first round pick on guys who touch the ball, or touch the quarterback.

So my gut was saying there is probably another player who they would be apt to pick, be that Stephen Hill as a receiver, or Dont’a Hightower to compete at ILB, or Mark Barron to fill the void at safety. If they pass on Konz to draft a player like that, I'd be fine with it. In fact, I think I'd prefer it.

I'd be fine to see Cordy Glen in the second round--and let him compete with Reid at LG, and possibly be a longterm answer there without ever sliding him to center--or if Ozzie told me they really like a center who what there in the 3rd, I'd be okay with that guy being the one they see as Birk's replacement next year. If he's going to sit a year anyway, go with the developmental third rounder and use the premium pick on a premium position. I keep hearing deep draft for interior linemen, and I think their draft strategy will reflect that.

I mentioned best player on their board, and not to sound like a broken record, I will add that Konz is going to rank higher on their board this year than he would have in past years. They definitely take need into consideration -- along with all the obvious talent factors -- when ranking players.

This is a tougher year than most for me to figure out how many players they really like at 29, if they are available. I can easily see them feeling that there are not any players they love at 29, but a who slew they see as good values at 40. So this could be another Sergio Kindle/Terrance Cody type draft where they drop back and get two picks and get back that fourth rounder. I'd have no problem if they draft three linemen between rounds 2-5 and have them all come in and compete. Get back the fourth rounder, and then pick OLs in rounds 2, 4, 5...with a LB and WR in rounds two and three.
    Last edited by Shas; 03-26-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking a late round flier on Greg Childs (WR) either.
    Childs was pretty good in 2010 before his injury. On the verge of breaking-out nationally, I'd say. Stubbornly going through spring ball sans knee brace wasn't too bright, but he may be back close to 100% these days based upon that performance.

My question about him would be when...when will the next knee injury occur and how bad will it be.

At 6'3", > 34" arms, and > 10" hands, it would be a shame if he can't become a good pro. Wouldn't mind a late rounder on him myself, but I wouldn't want him as our only selection WR.

Blog Entries

Here is my updated Round 1:

http://profootballxo.blogspot.com/20...ee-agency.html

I'll post rounds 2-3 up here in a few.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 03-26-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Technical Error. Ok, fixed it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Here is my updated Round 1:

http://profootballxo.blogspot.com/20...ee-agency.html

I'll post rounds 2-3 up here in a few.
    haha, so after all that talk about the Ravens not drafting a WR in the first round, you have them taking a WR in the first round? Id have to disagree on Pitt taking Hill. With so many more glaring needs and their success in finding WRs late i just cant see them justifying it. Broncos on the other hand is probably right. If not Hill or wright i could easily see them reaching for somebody Peyton wants, maybe even trading up for a Floyd if he falls at all.
    -JAB

What do you think of Michael Brockers as a Ravens pick... I know he is listed as a DT but I think you could slide him outside in a 3-4 scheme. he could easily replace Cory Reddings position and give the Ravens an interior rush which they desperately need.