Stover: Still a class act

Great video interview with Matt Stover, the upcoming Ring of Honor inductee on Sunday, November 20th.

He discusses turning down Hue Jackson's offer to kick for the Raiders this year.

He also talks about how veterans interact with the young guys on this team, and how they should be helping the team to level off their emotional highs and lows.

He also made a statement that conflicts with what is going on with this team in today's pressers. Ray Lewis, Ed Dickson, and Ray Rice all made statements about what the offense needs to do to get better. Stover says a team on the way to the Superbowl doesn't do that. The Ravens Superbowl team kept everything in house and the coaches played to their strengths on offense and defense.

Somewhere on 1 Winning Drive, a veteran player needs to circle the wagons and create some unity or else this season will be lost with more inconsistent play.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Re: Stover: Still a class act

That was actually very interesting.

Stover talks about identity (2011 Ravens could do with finding one) and how it's about the veterans needing to step up and get the team emotionally prepared. If a team isn't emotionally prepared, it loses.

Liked the comments on David Reed too.

Seems self-explanatory, but interesting to see a former NFL player say it so succinctly, particularly with the recent Ravens' issues.

iggyman555 Guest

Stover one of my favorite Ravens!! wish i was at the game Sunday...

Stover is, and shall always be, the man.

Stover was and will always be a Raven. Glad to see his name hung in the Ring of Honor, if anyone was worthly of this it's Matt.

Amazing to me that a player that represents a basically good model of how to be a pure professional is a kicker. He has been such a professional and carried a team to the Super Bowl.

I will be saluting his entry to the Ring and proud to be there.

Mr Automatic! The two kicks that stick in my mind is the playoff game in 2008 in Tennessee for the win and the 50 yarder in Cleveland in 2006 for the win. There were so many others but those two stick out the most for me.

agree with all, class act.
    I think he was the last original Cleveland Brown in the league.

really, aside from Ray and maybe Ed, this is a very young team.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

two comments that he made that were interesting;
    1) if Art didn't move the browns to Baltimore, Baltimore would have never received a team. i believe this since another expansion is no where on the horizon and there was an anti balitmore bias due to jack kent cook.

2) at halftime of the superbowl the ravens defense was saying that the game was over. Stover was amazed at the time of the defenses confidence. the defense said before the game that if the ravens scored 10 points they would win and the ravens had scored more then 10 points at halftime.

I'm a Stover fan.
    He was awesome for the Ravens and deserves ROH.

Speaking about how the veterans interact with the rookies:

I had read that Stover was one of the main reasons Hauschka didn't pan out for the Ravens. Apparently the front office was high on the rookie. But Stover was so super competitive that he was actually f-ing with the kid's head, giving him "advice." There was a thought that Stover was cut, because otherwise, he wouldn't have ever allowed a young kicker to beat him out and most certainly wouldn't help "develop one."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Raven_Fan View Post
    Great video interview with Matt Stover, the upcoming Ring of Honor inductee on Sunday, November 20th.

He discusses turning down Hue Jackson's offer to kick for the Raiders this year.

He also talks about how veterans interact with the young guys on this team, and how they should be helping the team to level off their emotional highs and lows.

He also made a statement that conflicts with what is going on with this team in today's pressers. Ray Lewis, Ed Dickson, and Ray Rice all made statements about what the offense needs to do to get better. Stover says a team on the way to the Superbowl doesn't do that. The Ravens Superbowl team kept everything in house and the coaches played to their strengths on offense and defense.

Somewhere on 1 Winning Drive, a veteran player needs to circle the wagons and create some unity or else this season will be lost with more inconsistent play.
    Both you and Stover are dead on. I find it interesting that Harbaugh who has a reputation for being a tough coach puts up with this but Rex Ryan the players buddy kicks Mason right off his team. Maybe they need to bring Stover in to talk to the team.

Blog Entries

Stover = CLASS, what more needs to be said ? ... Bc