Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Andrew Luck

1. OT: Andrew Luck

So far I've only watched a couple Stanford games and kept a close eye on Andrew Luck. I've heard that's he's the complete package, the best qb to come out since John Elway. Now, I'm not saying he's not a fantastic qb, however, what is all the hype surrounding this guy? I really don't see the greatness when I watch him play, he seems to me like a very good college qb and nothing more. Maybe I'm missing something, can somebody fill me in please?

Blog Entries

Re: OT: Andrew Luck

I remember the same hype around Jake Locker his junior year. There was even one media list that ranked Locker as a top 20 player event though he wasn't even in the NFL.

I agree with you that the Luck stuff is way over the top. Cam Newton has been the best rookie QB since Marino and he wasn't even the consensus #1 pick until late in the process. Maybe Luck really will live up to the hype like Elway and Peyton Manning did but I certainly don't see him as the lock that many seem to.

Phil Simms pretty much said the same thing. He's not seeing it either.

Blog Entries

I'm kind of on the fence with Luck.

I think he's got a great arm and for his size he's super mobile.

I will say one thing though, Luck has continued to succeed even though he's lost play makers on offense. Specifically Toby Gerhart and Ryan Whalen.

I think on the right team he could be pretty successful.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm on the fence. That Oregon game was a very poor showing. I know he wasn't getting a whole lot of help, but it doesn't change the fact that he was inaccurate pretty much all night.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I agree with you that the Luck stuff is way over the top. Cam Newton has been the best rookie QB since Marino and he wasn't even the consensus #1 pick until late in the process.
    I think Andy Dalton should be in that conversation. I'm glad we got him instead of Newton. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I remember the same hype around Jake Locker his junior year. There was even one media list that ranked Locker as a top 20 player event though he wasn't even in the NFL.
    I don't know what Jake Locker you are talking about, but I don't think there has ever been this much hype surrounding a quarterback. There were no daily updates of the Suck for Locker campaign on ESPN. Nobody called Locker the best QB since Elway.

I kind of feel bad for Luck. He's got all the tools. There isn't one thing he doesn't do well. Some of them he does great, some are above average, but he has everything. Because of this, he's going to have all this pressure to live up to these huge expectations put on him.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

The guy has prototypical size and strength for a QB, and seems very well grounded, not an idiot like Leaf. He has a very high IQ, which is rather atypical for an athlete of his caliber.

I don't think you are going to have to worry about this guy hanging out at some seedy joint "making it rain" on his off time. He is a perfect face for any franchise, not some talented hoodlum who can just run fast and jump high.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    I think Andy Dalton should be in that conversation. I'm glad we got him instead of Newton. Just sayin'.
    Dalton has to be offensive Roy right now, hands down

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'd respectfully disagree and say Cam Newton deserves it. Dalton's got a great defense to work with and has been very sharp and smart, but Cam's been putting up insane offensive numbers. Yes, Dalton's got more wins, but how can anyone expect Cam to win when the defense gives up 49 points and blows big leads?

Blog Entries

I am on the fence about Luck as well. I remember watching John Elway play at Stanford and Peyton Manning at Tennessee. It was like the ball was shot out of their arms with a cannon when the passed the ball. I didn't notice that kind of zip when Luck throws the ball. That said, Montana was a great QB, and I'd say that Luck has at least as strong an arm as Montana had.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I have to strongly disagree. Not taking anything away from Dalton - kid is great. But Newton has over 3,300 total yards already, and 23 TD, including 9 rushing. He is the Panthers team right now - the team has only scored 25 TD all year, and Newton has 23 of them. That's crazy.

He may not have the wins, but honestly, an individual award like Rookie of the Year should be based on individual performance, not a team stat like Ws and Ls. Looking at individual performances, Newton has to win.