Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Rothlessburger has Broken Rt. Thumb

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    A myth? Those are facts - he got his ass kicked plenty of times and kept playing. When he had his nose broke, how many QB's would have sat out? I bet 9 out of 10. His nose was beyond broke, it was smashed. They guy could barely breathe.

You exaggerate with the toe injury. Ben Grubbs has been out with a toe injury, no? Why wasn't he playing for an OMG toe injury.

A myth? Limp around between snaps? You know his foot is still broken? I bet the guy cannot even get out of bed the day after a game. It benefits a player no good to be injured.

As a Ravens fan you should feel lucky. Flacco hardly ever gets injured. Most QB's would love to have the success of even a injured Roethlisberger.

Funny how many Ravens fans think:

1. He is a Drama Queen
    2. He plays up his injuries
    3. He blames his injuries for losing games
    4. He enjoys the attention for being injured

That is absurd, and not the case. Many of those same individuals probably think the earth is still flat. I will take an injured Roethilsberger over just about any other QB in the league.

I don't really have anything else to add to this thread, except for the fact I am still waiting for an example of him using an injury as excuse for losing a game. But of course, that is just a "myth."
    You bet '9 out of 10' QBs wouldn't play with a broken nose? Oh that settles it. lmao. I am not sure if that was offered as a 'fact,' since it seems to be a word you use very loosely.

As for 'toe injuries,' are you saying that Big Ben and Grubbs have the same injury? Or that being a 300 lb guy who has to legpress against another 300 lb guy every play is the same as playing QB? Or that a guard is as irreplaceable as a QB? Rothlisberger's foot injury is one he has 'had' for 7 years now. At any point it can 'act up' and at such point you'll pretend mortal men wouldn't get out of bed with it. We get it.

Limp around between snaps? Yep. Then run prefectly fine on the play. Limp between snaps. Repeat. Yes, I know his foot is fractured, I also know there are fractures and then there are fractures and that he has had his for half a decade. I also have no idea what "It benefits a player no good to be injured" means. We are talking about the good that comes from being declared super-humanly tough, and having flattering myths created about oneself.

As for what's funny, how about: It's funny how many Steelers fans think:

1. He isn't a Drama Queen
    2. He doesn't play up his injuries
    3. He doesn't enjoy the attention from being labeled 'tough' all the time

That is absurd and not the case. Many of these same people probably think the earth is flat.

See how easy that is?

As for using injury as an excuse, I have never heard it. I also never said that he does that. I don't hear Ben mention his injuries much at all. I just see people talking about his injuries ad nauseum, even when they are minor and 5 years old recurring injuries, even when they wouldn't keep any other top-tier QB off the field.

How many QBs wear boots for the week only to play on Sunday? Now there are two possibilities when this occurs consistently. One is that the guy has new serious injuries regularly, has no business playing, but in a superhuman fashion soldiers on out to the field when all others would be in bed. The second is the guy has a perpetual nagging foot injury that he can play through (and has played through), but wears the boot because like a rubber mallet to the knee of the media and others, doing so gets people to praise him as a one-of-a-kind selfless tough guy (and if it helps damper criticism after a poor performance, all the better).

We know which possibilty you are arguing for. As I said, he is tough, and he gets hit, and he gets injuries. The issue is everything else besides those things. I will concede that if I had to rank current QBs in terms of 'toughness', as subjective as it would be, Ben would be at or near the top. Where we would disagree is how far it is between him and the next guy. And of course, Ben doesn't hold a candle in terms of toughness to guys that played decades ago, like Unitas for example.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 11-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.

As far as Ben being a prick all you need to do is read that Sports Illustrated article that came out last year about him. He walks out on bills or makes his friends cover him and stuff of that nature. A lot of local business were fed up with him.I would not say he is much of a drama queen though. Just a moron that I despise.

Fascinating readng.

My argument is not how much tougher he is than other QB's. My exception is to the fact that many think he is a drama queen and nurses injuries for attention. I only compared him to other QB's once; in regard to his broken nose. To deny that it was astonishing that he not only continued to play, but to go on and play effectively. Face it, most QB's would not have continued to play, and that does not "settle it."

Exaggeration again, you brought up the toe injury with McNair. I used it to make a point. I know a toe injury can end a career, and I am glad it seems Grubbs will be back as good as ever.

As far as I know he wore a boot for a week at most. At this point in this injury he needs only wear a specially fitted shoe for games.

Again, the point of my post was not to compare him to other QB's, merely to rebut those who think he is a drama queen and milks his injuries. I don't think he is superhuman either, I never said that.

Oddly enough he is a guy who shrugs off tackles from linebackers but somehow suffers a host of quarky injuries. Go figure. At least his busted nose was pretty straightforward.

It seems we have both stated our case. No harm done. Regardless of health, I just wish the guy could have one stretch of games where he did not have to worry about his health.

Just curious, I wonder how many consecutive starts Flacco has had? He is pretty well protected and seems to withstand getting hit pretty good when it happens. He what, 4 years in? I don't think he has even missed a game.

Let's hope both are healthy in the playoffs, hopefully at Heniz field!:)

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    You bet '9 out of 10' QBs wouldn't play with a broken nose? Oh that settles it. lmao. I am not sure if that was offered as a 'fact,' since it seems to be a word you use very loosely.

As for 'toe injuries,' are you saying that Big Ben and Grubbs have the same injury? Or that being a 300 lb guy who has to legpress against another 300 lb guy every play is the same as playing QB? Or that a guard is as irreplaceable as a QB? Rothlisberger's foot injury is one he has 'had' for 7 years now. At any point it can 'act up' and at such point you'll pretend mortal men wouldn't get out of bed with it. We get it.

Limp around between snaps? Yep. Then run prefectly fine on the play. Limp between snaps. Repeat. Yes, I know his foot is fractured, I also know there are fractures and then there are fractures and that he has had his for half a decade. I also have no idea what "It benefits a player no good to be injured." We are talking about the good that comes from being declared super-humanly tough, and having flattering myths created about oneself.

As for what's funny, how about: It's funny how many Steelers fans think:

1. He isn't a Drama Queen
    2. He doesn't play up his injuries
    3. He doesn't enjoy the attention from being labeled 'tough' all the time

That is absurd and not the case. Many of these same people probably think the earth is flat.

See how easy that is?

As for using injury as an excuse, I have never heard it. I also never said that he does that. I don't hear Ben mention his injuries at all. I just see people talking about his injuries ad nauseum, even when they are minor and 5 years old recurring injuries, even when they wouldn't keep any other top-tier QB off the field.

How many QBs wear boots for the week only to play on Sunday? Now there are two possibilities when this occurs consistently. One is that the guy has new serious injuries regularly, has no business playing, but in a superhuman fashion soldiers on out to the field when all others would be in bed. The second is the guy has a perpetual nagging foot injury that he can play through (and has played through), but wears the boot because like a rubber mallet to the knee of the media and others, doing so gets people to praise him as a one-of-a-kind selfless tough guy (and if it helps damper criticism after a poor performance, all the better).

We know which possibilty you are arguing for. As I said, he is tough, and he gets hit, and he gets injuries. The issue is everything else besides those things. I will concede that if I had to rank current QBs in terms of 'toughness', as subjective as it would be, Ben would be at or near the top. Where we would isagree is how far it is between him and the next guy. And of course, Ben doesn't hold a candle in terms of toughness to guys that played decades ago, like Unitas for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    My argument is not how much tougher he is than other QB's. My exception is to the fact that many think he is a drama queen and nurses injuries for attention. I only compared him to other QB's once; in regard to his broken nose. To deny that it was astonishing that he not only continued to play, but to go on and play effectively. Face it, most QB's would not have continued to play, and that does not "settle it."

Exaggeration again, you brought up the toe injury with McNair. I used it to make a point. I know a toe injury can end a career, and I am glad it seems Grubbs will be back as good as ever.

As far as I know he wore a boot for a week at most. At this point in this injury he needs only wear a specially fitted shoe for games.

Again, the point of my post was not to compare him to other QB's, merely to rebut those who think he is a drama queen and milks his injuries. I don't think he is superhuman either, I never said that.

Oddly enough he is a guy who shrugs off tackles from linebackers but somehow suffers a host of quarky injuries. Go figure. At least his busted nose was pretty straightforward.

It seems we have both stated our case. No harm done. Regardless of health, I just wish the guy could have one stretch of games where he did not have to worry about his health.

Just curious, I wonder how many consecutive starts Flacco has had? He is pretty well protected and seems to withstand getting hit pretty good when it happens. He what, 4 years in? I don't think he has even missed a game.

Let's hope both are healthy in the playoffs, hopefully at Heniz field!:)
    Unitas broke his nose in a game and packed it with mud to stop the bleeding and didn't come off the field. I am not sure how many QBs that play today would sit out the rest of a game with broken nose, but I suspect it is less than you would think, even if it is more than I am suggesting.

For me, it isn't really about what Ben does, even if I think he sometimes (and I know you disagree) goes to the well on his permanently injured foot, it is all about the massive media focus on his injuries. So I guess calling him a drama queen isn't really accurate in terms of my gripe. My gripe is with the media.

As it was with McNair, it got to the point where anytime the guy was mentioned, the word 'tough' was attached, along with a listing of the injuries. Both players take/took huge hits by the nature of their playing styles, and both are/were constantly injured. And because of this, both are/were by far the toughest guys in the league, no contest, according to a story-driven media searching for sensationalism.

And yes, let's hope both Flacco and Ben are healthy for the playoffs. And let me further hope that Flacco isn't healthy on his couch watching the playoffs, which cannot be ruled out at this stage based on the massive inconsistency I have seen.

The media slobbers all over Ray Lewis and so do the producers when he plays in prime time. Does that upset you?

You think only Ravens fans think he is Drama Queen? Please. Your avatar does too.

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    The media slobbers all over Ray Lewis and so do the producers when he plays in prime time. Does that upset you?
    No. He's only the best ILB to ever play the game.

Point?

Why do you think Jim Miller hates the steelers?
    I've heard him be quite positive about his time there with Cowher, saying he was one of the best coahes ever. And he said playing against Green and Lloyd (I believe) at LB in practice every day was one of the coolest (although tough) things he ever did...

No one's disputing Ben's toughness. He just likes to get attention for it.

BTW, It's not just ravens fans that think Ben is a drama queen. Keyshawn anmd John Clayton have said it numerous times on ESPN. OR get out a bit and try something other than a ravens board- Ask around, I'm sure you'd find out the answer at a Patriots board or a Browns board.

Then there's Matt Hasselbeck:

“Do you think girls should be allowed to play in the NFL?” one school girl asked Hasselbeck when he visited her school. “Girls can play in the NFL. Ben Roethlisberger plays for the Steelers, right?” Hasselbeck said, “Joking. Totally joking. That was a joke,” Hasselbeck added, chuckling.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No. He's only the best ILB to ever play the game.

Point?
    The point is why should anyone get upset that a player gets accolades. When that happens they have earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Why do you think Jim Miller hates the steelers?
    I've heard him be quite positive about his time there with Cowher, saying he was one of the best coahes ever. And he said playing against Green and Lloyd (I believe) at LB in practice every day was one of the coolest (although tough) things he ever did...

No one's disputing Ben's toughness. He just likes to get attention for it.

BTW, It's not just ravens fans that think Ben is a drama queen. Keyshawn anmd John Clayton have said it numerous times on ESPN. OR get out a bit and try something other than a ravens board- Ask around, I'm sure you'd find out the answer at a Patriots board or a Browns board.

Then there's Matt Hasselbeck:

“Do you think girls should be allowed to play in the NFL?” one school girl asked Hasselbeck when he visited her school. “Girls can play in the NFL. Ben Roethlisberger plays for the Steelers, right?” Hasselbeck said, “Joking. Totally joking. That was a joke,” Hasselbeck added, chuckling.
    Jim Miller started the opener against Jaxonville and was demoted after one year. He was not happy about it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    You missed the point. It isn't about slobbering over good players. It is about manufacturing a story then bleating it ad nauseum, in this case about superhuman toughness. Ben wears a boot and suddenly there are two dozen stories about how tough he is, and he can wear a boot after any game he wants, since he has a perpetually injured foot.

In addition, the media doesn't slobber over Ray Lewis as much as Ben, not even close. And Ray is in his 16th season at a position where the average lifespan is a handful of years.

But we have established the fact that it upsets you when people point out how much the media sensationalizes Ben and how much Ben likes it.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 11-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.