Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ryan Clark: " I might as well blow his knee out”

Don't take it so serious. He was making a point. Of course Clark, or any other player for that matter, does not wish that.

Remember, all players and teams can be called out. Remember "The Bounty?" And that was premeditated. Please defend that statement. You can't no defense, just like Clark, players talking it up. In the end, they respect each other more than fans respect each other.

So what, players talk crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Steelers organization keeping it classy..taking out a guys knee right? That's how that man feeds his family, that's his way of making a living and you want to hurt someone? What a fuckin low life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Don't take it so serious. He was making a point. Of course Clark, or any other player for that matter, does not wish that.
    I took Clark as making a point. He wouldn't have gotten a fine for aiming at Dickson's knees.

Steelers fans have been complaining about Lewis's hit on Ward, but Lewis comes in making a form tackle. His form was the same as his hit on that Jets tight end that the NFL used as an example of how to hit a receiver (which is why I think the flag wasn't thrown even though there was helmet-to-helmet contact). I don't think Clark was gunning for Dickson's head or even trying to lead with his helmet. He's lunging at Dickson, he doesn't launch himself. His feet don't leave the ground. He even tries to tuck his head away from Dickson and jam his shoulder into him. That's all happening extremely fast, like the Lewis hit, so the laundry flying probably has a lot to do with what the officials think they're seeing (Clark's body position looks like he's launched himself) and what they're expecting (Clark has a history of helmet-to-helmet hits). They see Lewis making a proper form tackle, and at the speed of the game they're assuming they're not seeing a helmet-to-helmet hit because he's tackling the way the NFL says you're supposed to. Lewis gets fined because the slow motion review of the game reveals the hit, though only a bitter Steeler fan likely thinks that was intentional.

It doesn't help to go low, because no matter how low you get if the receiver ducks his head that low you're still liable for the fine.

I am all for trying to improve player safety but there has to be an element of common sense involved. Most football fans can tell the difference between the blatant variety and the more accidental or incidental variety of these incidences. If we all can tell then why the hell cant the NFL. Harbaugh said it best....This is a game for big men.....
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

F**K CLARK! Players shouldn't be singled out, blah blah blah. After this one, they should fine him for anything that looks even remotely close, it gives me nightmares. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91BqQ...eature=related

I'm sure he was making a point, but there are better ways of making a point. You don't even go somewhere like this.

He makes Harrison into the voice of reason there, when he said he wouldn't go for the knees because he doesn't want to jeopardize somebody's career. I think he's a little short-sighted on the concussion issue --helmet to helmet is as dangerous long term. He must not be a boxing fan-- but at least he's saying he's thinking about other players and not wanting to put their careers in danger.

Clark gets pissed and then goes and says something like this, of course he'll get more attention from the zebras and scrutiny from opposing fans, whether he was just trying to make a point or not.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenAggie2 View Post
    F**K CLARK! Players shouldn't be singled out, blah blah blah. After this one, they should fine him for anything that looks even remotely close, it gives me nightmares. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91BqQ...eature=related
    He led with his shoulder pad in the hit on McGahee.

Yes, I agree. But the rules are not being applied evenly on the field by the officials. On any given Sunday, during any game, these controversial penalties are not called, and some are. The refs have no formal responsibility in all of this. Miss a call where a player is fined 20K? No problem.

And I think we all overreact, do you think Lewis intentionally hit with his helmet? I don't. Neither did Clark, if he even did. These hits are just circumstantial; football players running at each other full speed - there will be consequential head to head contact. The fine structure, and the inability of the refs to be consistent is laughable.

And of course, when something like this happens, it is the perfect opportunity for a fan base to collectively believe they are above all of this, and they players are better for whatever reason.

If Clark really wanted to put someone out, it sure would be easy to do. Clark, or any player, could do it quite easily. It would not benefit him to do it. As I said, he is just frustrated. Even fans say stupid crap, stuff far stupider than what Clark said, and we don't even have stock in the game.

Some of the comments on Clark's comments are just plain thoughtless. Of course we are all entitled to our opinion, and we will say what we will, it just seems like fans just wait for a player or a team to do something so we can distance ourselves from that other fan base because we are so much better.

Human nature. Predictable, but we deny it!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCorvax View Post
    I'm sure he was making a point, but there are better ways of making a point. You don't even go somewhere like this.

He makes Harrison into the voice of reason there, when he said he wouldn't go for the knees because he doesn't want to jeopardize somebody's career. I think he's a little short-sighted on the concussion issue --helmet to helmet is as dangerous long term. He must not be a boxing fan-- but at least he's saying he's thinking about other players and not wanting to put their careers in danger.

Clark gets pissed and then goes and says something like this, of course he'll get more attention from the zebras and scrutiny from opposing fans, whether he was just trying to make a point or not.

Ravens fans complain just as much as Steelers fans. There might be some boards where some fans complain, but the one I am on for the most part was not complaining. We are frustrated with the Price is Right Plinko style of applying fines.

The hit on Ward was an obvious helmet-helmet. I could see that in real time 450 miles away on TV. To be mere yards away and miss as a referee? That is embarrassing.

It is my opinion that hit was not intentional. But, within the structure of the new rules it is a major offense. So friggin' call it.

We can point and counter point, Clark is not devil, and there will be more fines for all teams. This whole fine thing is stupid.

Sigh . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I took Clark as making a point. He wouldn't have gotten a fine for aiming at Dickson's knees.

Steelers fans have been complaining about Lewis's hit on Ward, but Lewis comes in making a form tackle. His form was the same as his hit on that Jets tight end that the NFL used as an example of how to hit a receiver (which is why I think the flag wasn't thrown even though there was helmet-to-helmet contact). I don't think Clark was gunning for Dickson's head or even trying to lead with his helmet. He's lunging at Dickson, he doesn't launch himself. His feet don't leave the ground. He even tries to tuck his head away from Dickson and jam his shoulder into him. That's all happening extremely fast, like the Lewis hit, so the laundry flying probably has a lot to do with what the officials think they're seeing (Clark's body position looks like he's launched himself) and what they're expecting (Clark has a history of helmet-to-helmet hits). They see Lewis making a proper form tackle, and at the speed of the game they're assuming they're not seeing a helmet-to-helmet hit because he's tackling the way the NFL says you're supposed to. Lewis gets fined because the slow motion review of the game reveals the hit, though only a bitter Steeler fan likely thinks that was intentional.

It doesn't help to go low, because no matter how low you get if the receiver ducks his head that low you're still liable for the fine.

Again, Ryan Clark had SIX helmet to helmet hits in the New England game. Only one was flagged. That hit, which occured five yards out of bounds, was what drew his first fine.

He should have been suspended for that hit. When you go helmet-to-helmet on a player that far out of bounds, it shows that you are not just attempting to make a football play, but rather are playing with reckless regard for the opposing player.

Of course, I'm glad Clark didn't get suspended. He's a pretty lousy football player. Doesn't wrap up as a tackler, has hands of stone, and can't cover anyone to save his life. Him and Polamalu are downright pitiful in pass coverage.

Blog Entries

Ravens fans complain just as much as Steelers fans.
    I agree, which is why I'm so amused by Steeler fan complaints. I have a few friends who are Steeler fans who've long insisted that Steeler fans just don't act that way.

Yes, I agree. But the rules are not being applied evenly on the field by the officials. On any given Sunday, during any game, these controversial penalties are not called, and some are. The refs have no formal responsibility in all of this. Miss a call where a player is fined 20K? No problem.
    We agree on the quality of the officiating.

I personally think the officiating in the NFL gets worse year to year. I thought the officiating in the last Ravens/Steelers game was atrocious across the board, affecting both teams. So at least it was level in some way.

If he's feeling frustrated, though, he needs to go in and talk to his coach and vent to him and his teammates and not put this out there like that. Clark could go into a game and do what he said, and like you mentioned, it doesn't benefit him because then somebody will target him. It's a very macho game.

However, as soon as Clark makes a comment that either makes it seem that he may be tempted to flagrantly go after people's knees and/or that doing so isn't any big deal, he's going to make himself a target of officials and of opposing fans. Even Steelers fans should be concerned that he's saying these things because if he's going to be scrutinized more harshly, that probably means the zebras and the league office will be taking a harder line on the Steelers in general.

And yes, fans do say things, but unless we can run on the field, put on a helmet, and make a play, all that talk doesn't amount to much.

Besides, it doesn't matter whether I'm a Ravens fan or not. No team's fans, especially if their team plays the Steelers at some point, should think it's cool or whatever to intimate that going for the knee isn't any big deal. I'd think it was stupid whether it was coming from any player.
    ---

Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

---