1. Beware the Dangers of Being a Pig on Thanksgiving Before a Night Game and Other Steelers Game Nuggets.

In sharing this experience I hope to make people aware of the dangers that shoveling beer and food down your throat all day on Thanksgiving before a night game can bring. The 49ers game has become important for both teams, and I'd hate to see happen to another Ravens fan what happened to me. This couldn't happen Ravens/Jaguars....This happened Ravens/Steelers.

Mostly all of my family will be taking their extended families to their relatives that live out of town on Thanksgiving. This did not sit well with the matriarch of an Italian family where dinner together means everything. My aunt wanted to have everyone together before the official holiday. Yesterday was the only day everybody could be there, and the Thanksgiving simulation was perfect down to every last detail.

Instead of staying to watch the game there like I should have, I decided I didn't want to drive Harford County back roads after midnight for an hour when I would certainly want to have a beer or six watching the game, then have to be up at 5am. I'm out of sick days and personal days at work, and I think I became too obvious last season with my sudden Monday or Tuesday morning illnesses that made me unable to work after the late games.

Already tired after pulling a late one on Saturday, I got home and collapsed into a complete turkey coma that I would not easily awaken from. I thought an innocent little nap would be just the thing I needed with two hours left before the game started. I woke up at 10:30pm completely disoriented thinking it was the next morning, and that I was four hours late for work. Once I figured out what I let happen I turned it on just in time to miss Suggs make that sweet pick.

I turned it on at 9-6, and had a pretty good idea of what I missed. A defense FG fest. To steal a good analogy from Billick it was two heavyweight boxers throwing jabs with a few nice punches thrown here and there. The KO would come later. Slowly as I got into the game they revealed Rice had an opening TD run that was called back on what I thought was a questionable hold, they stumbled down on the goal line trying to score, Ray knocked Ward out, and Clark put a pretty rough looking hit on Dickson. Pretty typical Ravens-Steelers stuff.

I don't want to say much about the game that hasn't been said a thousand times, but after the Flacco fumble I completely expected the wheels to come flying off. I expected them to give up the lead, and I just sat there waiting for Flacco to throw the game ending pick with under a minute left.

The defense has carried the Ravens this season, so it's hard to get on them about giving up a 3rd and 17, and not being at their best in the fourth quarter. The offense catching up some to be more balanced with the defense is better than only being able to play great defense.

I can't get mad at Torrey Smith either even if he never caught that TD after just dropping one. He's a rookie and the knock on him was questionable hands even before the Ravens drafted him. He's going to make mistakes, but luckily for him he does not have to start his career as the guy who dropped the game winning TD in Pittsburgh. Ravens fans don't ever forget about the drops.

After the drop you could hear the mullethead faithful giving him the business on TV. I can only imagine all the things he really heard. He just got up, dusted himself off, lined up on the other side of the field, and caught the game winner. He showed concentration and that the game wasn't too big for him. It was a really great moment. Boldin kept the chains moving, but someone was going to have to make a play if the Steelers were just going to play single coverage. It seemed pretty clear in that game that the Steelers coaches didn't think much of Flacco even after he stuck it up their ass the same way last season, and at home in this season's opener.

Torrey has had his ups and downs, but at this point I don't see how Mark Clayton was a much better #2. If they ever get Evans back it will make the other team's DC pay attention to the problem Smith can pose as a #3. They can't get away with putting a lesser corner on him without help, and if they go to one of their best corners to take away Torrey by himself it will open up some other things. They might be a decent passing offense yet this season. We'll see.

Rookies that come to the Ravens to fill an immediate need don't get the luxury of making a bunch of mistakes while they learn their position. Especially on offense. Is Cam Newton out there flinging it around if he's on a NFC contender, or does being in a position where you're on a team with no expectations allow a rookie to learn his position more easily before there is any pressure to win. Torrey Smith is definitely not in an easy situation.

Flacco still needs to cool it with all the fumbles,but he stepped up under the lights and got it done. Flacco won the game with 8 seconds left on a 92 yard drive with all eyes on him is how I'll remember it. I'm not saying Flacco had a career defining anything, but he looked like what you think a pretty good QB in year four should look like. He did a really nice job.

John Harbaugh.....I don't know what to say. I criticize his coaching and lobby for Pagano to be looked at in a couple of years if he's leaving for the big job. I question Harbaugh's coaching, and he goes and out coaches Tomlin. His hokey post game speech made me want to vomit my still full belly full of food, but if he can do what he did on Sunday more often I'll put up with anything he says. He can quote Teddy Roosevelt and sound like a guy who writes those motivational/inspirational pictures you would see in a high school guidance counselor's office all he wants.

The game is what they've consistently done all season. They continue to show up and beat the best the AFC has to offer. Sweeping the Steelers should leave no doubt who the better team is in 2011. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the other side of one of those heart breakers, and giving the Steelers a turn to know what that shit feels like. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of jerks. The Ravens beat the Steelers by a combined score of 58-27. That isn't even close. The Steelers just left the weakest part of their defense exposed because they thought Flacco couldn't do it.

Now the Ravens just need to make sure they're better than the teams there is no doubt they are better than, but they still have to play seriously. It starts Sunday with a west coast romp in a loud ass stadium. No more road stinkers against the non division bad teams and don't get swept by the Bengals. They'll be looking nice if they take the next two.

Just wanted to get it all out in one post instead of a bunch of posts in different threads. I get caught up in it too much and should probably post less.

Re: Beware the Dangers of Being a Pig on Thanksgiving Before a Night Game and Other Steelers Game Nuggets.

I can't believe you fell asleep.

How'd you sleep afterwards?

Re: Beware the Dangers of Being a Pig on Thanksgiving Before a Night Game and Other Steelers Game Nuggets.

All good. Savor the win, and realize this is what a change for the better looks like.

Back in college I used to enjoy certain substances while studying calculus. Besides getting the munchies, I also began to visualize how calculus was a mathematical system that allows you to determine how along any point in a equation derived curve you can see, for lack of a better phrase, where you are, where you are going and what you see while you are there.

It has always fascinated me what a moment in time might look like while on a journey elsewhere. I contend we are watching the Ravens transform into something great, which in the future will be obvious but is not obvious now.

Or simply, we are watching the Ravens become great, and this is what that path look like.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
    All good. Savor the win, and realize this is what a change for the better looks like.

Back in college I used to enjoy certain substances while studying calculus. Besides getting the munchies, I also began to visualize how calculus was a mathematical system that allows you to determine how along any point in a equation derived curve you can see, for lack of a better phrase, where you are, where you are going and what you see while you are there.

It has always fascinated me what a moment in time might look like while on a journey elsewhere. I contend we are watching the Ravens transform into something great, which in the future will be obvious but is not obvious now.

Or simply, we are watching the Ravens become great, and this is what that path look like.
    Dude, that's deep.

Don't Bogart the cheese curls.