Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Ravens Rediscover the Spread—Offensive Notes vs. Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I disagree with the people saying the Squeelers' defense stopped the Patriots. The Squeelers' OFFENSE stopped the Patriots.

The Pats had three plays total in the first quarter and held the ball for 17 minutes in the entire game. The Squeeler's offense only punted once, I believe, and had the one turnover.
    I think it was more like 20 minutes, but agreed; Brady could not generate points because he wasn't on the field. He wasn't on the field because Pittsburgh was able to control the clock against a poor defense.

The Steelers have been playing great offense, and good defense. The Ravens have been playing great defense, but the offense has been spotty.

If our offense can limit the 3 and outs and score some damned points early vs the Steeler defense, I fully expect our defense to continue its great run.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    On one of those plays (Q2, 9:07) [McKinnie was beaten outside by Schofield for a 15-yard sack/fumble that led to a Cards TD.
    I wanted to make a comment on this particularly play, as a repeat of a comment I had posted on another thread a couple days ago.

If you want to check out the video I'll refer to the second video link on the right on the NFL Game Center page, which is called Cardinals Sack-Fumble.

You'll see the ball is snapped at the 17. Ricky Williams is lined up nine yards deep. At the snap of the ball Ricky kind of just takes a half speed step and forces Flacco to stride seven yards deep; they execute a half-ass play action fake that fools no one. Then Joe continues to drop back all the way to the six.

Now you can see Schofield taking a long run around McKinnie. He gets to Flacco because Flacco has planted his back foot 11 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

There is really no chance for McKinney to stop Schofield. If flacco is seven yards deep, he's not getting stripped on this play. You see tackles running off rushers around the back of the pocket all the time in the NFL -- it's what they are taught to do. But it isn't going to work if your QB is all the way back there.

If you contrast this to Flacco in the gun you can see why the pass protection is better.

For instance, check out the video labeled Ravens' Clutch Reception. You can see that out of the gun Flacco starts only five yards behind the line. He takes the snap and hops back twice to plant his foot 8 yards deep and then steps into the throw.

I maintain that not only is he getting the ball out faster, but also he is giving his line a chance to form a pocket when he is executing from the gun. Whereas in play action, they appear to be a mess trying to execute. Whether that's bad coaching or bad execution, who knows?

In short, I'm not sure it's entirely on McKinnie however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    The safest game plan (least chance of deadly turnovers) with the highest probablility of success, based on the first game with the Steelers, is to run the ball with Joe under center, use play action, and a lot of two tight end sets.

that's pretty much what killed 'em the first game.

I'd try that before going to the spread.

The Steelers stopped the Patriots spread and the Ravens spread offense vs. Jacksonville was terrible.

I'll be happy with whatever works and I think we should try the same approach as last game with the Steelers first. We may need to adjust quickly though, if LeBeau has schemed something up against us that's effective.
    All we heard about was spreading them out before that last game.
    That's how GB beat em in SB.

We beat them the last time but since then Tenn and Jags took away
    all those outside and over the middle routes. Houston
    and Cards tried it in first half both with some success before wearing
    them down in 2d half, last week with the spread and shut gun.

Piss might be able to do that this time at home. They're much better
    now and will be smelling blood.

Go with what's working. As been said, the shut gone and no huddle
    gives Joe more ccntrol.